There are 216 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

On a Scale of 1 - 5, How much do you want the 49ers to take a QB early next year?

On a Scale of 1 - 5, How much do you want the 49ers to take a QB early next year?

I'm taking option 3. With three picks on Day 2, I believe we can afford to take a QB. I think the 49ers have *some* risk going forward -- Smith is good but flawed, and Kaepernick may never develop the decision-making/mechanics improvements necessary to be a starter.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
May never develop? Baseless conjecture and opinion do not make good footholds for downplaying the likely QB of the future. He's played maybe 60 regular season NFL snaps in 2 years, and maybe another 150 in preseason, from that limited sample his positives of athleticism and improvisation outweigh the definitive negative of inexperience with running an NFL offense and playing QB at this level. His progressions are still slow and because of his he made several ill-advised throws such as the one against the Chargers in preseason that absolutely should've been picked off but the guy dropped it. But in 2 years coming from an offensive that featured quick reads or take off and use legs type of plays I feel he has progressed to a point that is beyond expectations for a project like him. Just because he was drafted in the top 40 for his athleticism doesn't mean he was or currently is ready to be a starting QB.

A combined 3 to 4 games worth of snaps is a marginal sample base at best, especially at such an early stage of his career, Kaepernick will need a full offseason of QB competition, splitting the 1st teams snaps and likely a whole regular season before I say he "may never develop" -- Writing him off before he has even been given the opportunity to lead this team would be a mistake.

We wont draft a QB until we are 100% sure that neither Alex, CK, or Tolzien are viable starting QBs.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
May never develop? Baseless conjecture and opinion do not make good footholds for downplaying the likely QB of the future. He's played maybe 60 regular season NFL snaps in 2 years, and maybe another 150 in preseason, from that limited sample his positives of athleticism and improvisation outweigh the definitive negative of inexperience with running an NFL offense and playing QB at this level. His progressions are still slow and because of his he made several ill-advised throws such as the one against the Chargers in preseason that absolutely should've been picked off but the guy dropped it. But in 2 years coming from an offensive that featured quick reads or take off and use legs type of plays I feel he has progressed to a point that is beyond expectations for a project like him. Just because he was drafted in the top 40 for his athleticism doesn't mean he was or currently is ready to be a starting QB.

A combined 3 to 4 games worth of snaps is a marginal sample base at best, especially at such an early stage of his career, Kaepernick will need a full offseason of QB competition, splitting the 1st teams snaps and likely a whole regular season before I say he "may never develop" -- Writing him off before he has even been given the opportunity to lead this team would be a mistake.

We wont draft a QB until we are 100% sure that neither Alex, CK, or Tolzien are viable starting QBs.

Yes, "May" being the key word there -- I'm identifying risk. He was a second round pick for a reason -- he has atypical mechanics and showed questionable on-the-field judgment at times (but that may be a function of the Pistol).

Don't think I'm calling him a bust or anything, I'm just saying there's a clear risk there.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Going with option 4. Been a fan since the early 70's. This is the longest gap (currently 8 years and counting) that we haven't had a pro bowl or Hall of Fame QB since I became a fan. Call me spoiled but I am sick of thinking special teams and defense need to play great every game for us to win, and if we are down 14 points we are most likely toast. We don't have the greatest receiving core but it is at least average or better. Look at how receivers look when being thrown to by the Mannings, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady, they make average guys look like pro bowlers. No matter how you slice him Alex is average at best. With our great QB tradition he doesn't fit here.
We probably won't take a QB depending on what we think of Kaep. We need better QB play though. Alex improved. Then he regressed. It remains to see where he is at near the end of the season. And it remains to be seen where Kaep is at by the end of the season. Will Kaep play more by the end of the year? Will he play well?
I don't think we take a QB at all. Every team we play knows Alex can't throw the long ball so they're bringing up some of their secondary.

I live in Vegas and watched Kap play. Athletic as hell BUT his short & Mid-range passes need lots work. There is little doubt about his long-ball capability. You have to have both in this league.

Tolzein may be an ace in the hole.

I think we'll need pass rushers, a NT, S, and someone to groom to replace Staley in a couple of seasons.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168318-top-joe-montana-games-nfl-network/

We need a great QB to stay competitive over the next decade.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The only teams that have had long runs of being a Super Bowl contender in the salary cap era have had two things, solid QB play and top notch coaching. The teams that got to the big game in the last 15 years riding the coat tails of their defense hit the top and faded quickly. We got the coaching part handled, we need a top 10 QB.
[ Edited by BobS on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The team has the luxury right now of risking an early pick on a quarterback. If there are any Harbaugh likes the team should do everything within their power to get that player. It never hurts to have too many quarterbacks.
Scott Tolzien!
Have to see how this year plays out. If Alex continues his recent play, I agree you have to move on because he's holding the team back. Lot of season left though and he's looked very good at times.
According to the status of our QBs, we shouldnt take another QB b/c we have got two "rookies" already...but you never know who is free-falling during the draft.
Originally posted by sachie23:
Have to see how this year plays out. If Alex continues his recent play, I agree you have to move on because he's holding the team back. Lot of season left though and he's looked very good at times.

That was pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Trade up if necessary, if JH has decided to move on. Got to see how the rest of the season goes though.
We already did it with Kaepernick. It's not happening again. If by some crazy chance someone Harbaugh has ranked extremely high falls to the 2nd-3rd, I could see us jumping on the pick. Outside of that, it's not happening.

I think spending a 1st on another WR or OLB is far more likely.
[ Edited by strickac on Oct 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM ]
If there's a qb we love I'm not against taking him but priority wise it's not a concern.

Smith will still be our guy next year and Kaep will still be plan B.