There are 182 users in the forums

JReff22 Mock v.1 (The its too early for this but I dont care edition)

1. Kenny Vaccaro FS
Texas
6'1" 218 lbs
Vaccaro is a SS at Texas but will transition to FS just like Eric Berry has done. Great size, athleticism, and not scared to hit....sounds a bit familiar. He could be the only new starter on the D that has never played for the team, RJF has obvious experience. Expect so early issues just like with any rookie but he should fall in line with the other great Texas DB's from previous drafts.

2. Cornellius Carradine OLB
Florida State
6'4" 265 lbs
Depth will be a major sticking point this year. With Parys expecting a large payday, Haggins most likely walking, Flemming coming off major injury, and the Cam still on the PS we have a hole....a big one at OLB. Although this years class is full of sexy names, chances are we draft late again putting those guys out of reach. Carradine plays opposite of Bjorn and doesn't get the hype of his German counterpart. But the kid is a monster himself. Fantastic size with speed to boot and a tenacity to get after the QB. Remember this will be a rotational guy who will sub in and out with Aldon....we dont need to move up like some want, to get a player who can do what is needed.

3 (a). Marcus Davis WR
Virginia Tech
6'4" 232 lbs
Marcus Davis is a thicker more polished version of Stephen Hill with more experience. With the amount of WR's in this years draft he will fall but not very far. This is the pick that many of screamed for and will replace Moss. With the passing game starting to actually open up and evolve its time we grab a kid with his measurables that can go up and over anybody....including the big guys in Seattle. Do not expect him in a starting role, he will be a situational player for some time.

3 (b). Shawn Williams SS
Georgia
6'1" 218 lbs
Two safety's are you kidding me? Nope, I'm dead serious. Just like Goldson, Whitner isnt getting younger or cheaper. Although I love the tandem we have now its not going to last forever. Shawn Williams will be held in his normal position and will be the primary backup at SS and FS, but SS is where he will be groomed. Rambo gets the hype at UGA but Williams is a quality player that can do almost anything. Mcbath will be gone at the end of the year so while losing 2 guys in the back we add 2 in the same draft class. Some may not love the idea but if it happened these two will make a career out of tattooing WR's and RB's. He also has serious ST value from the get go.

4. Justin Pugh OT
Syracuse
6'5" 298 lbs
Justin Pugh becomes our new Boone. Although he's not gifted with the same talents, he does have the ability to step in and start in emergency situations which is what we need. He will need to add weight and fill out his frame but the kid has been a starter at LT for years at Syracuse and has played very well. This is one OL pick that should stick and develop into a great backup which will give most, if not all some relief.

5 (a). Michael Williams TE
Alabama
6'5" 272 lbs
Say hello to our 3rd TE, Michael Williams. Some may dislike this pick because he is more of a blocking TE than a pass cathcing one like Fleener. But this kid knows how to blakc very well and does it against top competition every week. He does have some pass cathing ability but he's not asked to do it much at Alabama. At his size he does create a mismatch problem for almost any LB or SS and can be trusted to catch the ball. This is not a replacement for Walker, more a replacement for Celek, L Davis, and Dobbs. Quality player that fits Jims mold of ground and pound ball.

5 (b). Omoregie Uzzi C/OG
Georgia Tech
6'3" 302 lbs
Some wanted Rambo but will you settle for an Uzzi instead? Omoregie Uzzi (a name that will be butchered during draft talk) is a nasty OG who considered leaving GT last year. One of the meanest guys on the GT OL, Uzzi has been one of the reasons why GT runs very well. Coming from a run first, second, and third system means he knows how to fight in the trenches. But I have him transitioning into the backup C spot behind Kilgore. It will be a new position for him so some adjustment will be expected but at his size and with time he could become a quality backup rounding out the last pick for OL for some time.

5 (c). Cory Grissom NT
South Florida
6'2" 316
Playing for the Bulls, Grissom has had a pretty strong showing since he became a starter years ago. Grissom doesn't have gaudy stats but is a monster to deal with on the field and can eat blocks. The baby faced senior has had some history with medical issues so this is why he falls this far. Although JPP really put USF on the map they are still overlooked in the Big East all the while churning out talent. With Ice leaving and RJF stepping in this becomes a depth pick if he checks out medically. Remember this name come draft time.

6. Kapron Lewis-Moore DE
Notre Dame
6'4" 306 lbs
"Notre Dame is ranked.... ....wait you're serious " ? Yes ND is ranked and has one of the better defenses in the country. Kapron Lewis-Moore plays all over in ND's 3-4 so he has experience in the system already. Long but stout Moore is a constant disruptor across the DL. This is not a replacement for Justin because none exist in this years class, which is looking more ho hum every week. Moore will fight to become the primary backup at both DE positions because RJF will now be a starter. He might take the spot away from Dobss or Tukuafu but being that neither are getting meaningful snaps I wouldn't say the primary backup spot is locked down yet. His combine numbers will be interesting to watch.

6. Bruce Taylor ILB
Virginia Tech
6'2" 244 lbs
The era of Grant is now over as he looks to get a starting gig elsewhere. Taylor is a great ILB that should t hamper the D if he was need early in the season. Only knock of Taylor (which has dropped him) would be an injury to his foot. But the kid is a great player that loves to hit. He doesn't have the speed of Bowman or Willis but who else does at the position? If healthy he will be a great role player with ST skills and costing half of what Grant does.

7 (a). Melvin White CB
La.-Lafayette
6'3" 191 lbs
Jim loves competition so we get some for the 5th CB spot. Melvin White is a small school CB with great size that could be a FS/CB tweener which isn't a bad thing. When it comes to fighting for the 5th spot with a 7th rounder there isn't much to say except just see what happens. But if he checks out at 6'3 and can fill out to 200lbs that's one hell of a CB to have on the roster.

7 (b). Anthony McCloud NT
Florida State
6'2" 322 lbs
The last pick comes down to McCloud who will be fighting with Williams for the last NT spot on the team. McCloud is a large kid who can be the toilet clogger that many have called for in previous drafts. Although FSU has a good rotation on the DL McCloud hasn't stood out like the DE's on their squad. This is more of a developmental pick and back-end competition. Sometimes 7th rounders never make the team but others like RJF with time and effort become gems who just need the correct coaching.

Reasoning and Rational:

I went into this with the idea that both Goldson, Grant, Moss, and Ice are gone, sad but a good possibility. Also the comp picks are added as well.

This is still very early and these kids can move up or down multiple rounds easily. Things will change over the next coming weeks and months but here is an early look. Also, because this is a bit premature NO trades were done. Enjoy!!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yay for early mocks too bad us armchair gms dont make the decisions cause id love this.
You were right lol. I think we just became best friends. Youre reasoning/rational is spot on what I was thinking. The best part about having so many picks though is that just about anybody that falls out of the 1st round is attainable. I hope we sign Goldson and Ice and draft Rambo. The only reason I think we'd go OLB with our #1 pick is because OLB is the only position I could see rotating in on plays, other than that, they'the redshiirt treatment like James and Jenkins, then again, we could probably make the same argument for either safety rotating. MOst teams NEED a QB(possibly 4), CB(possibly 8), DE(7) or WR(4-5) in the first. If KV makes it past STL, then we have to pull the trigger
Ezekiel Ansah needs to be in here somewhere though aha. Thats my sleeper player.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
You were right lol. I think we just became best friends. Youre reasoning/rational is spot on what I was thinking. The best part about having so many picks though is that just about anybody that falls out of the 1st round is attainable. I hope we sign Goldson and Ice and draft Rambo. The only reason I think we'd go OLB with our #1 pick is because OLB is the only position I could see rotating in on plays, other than that, they'the redshiirt treatment like James and Jenkins, then again, we could probably make the same argument for either safety rotating. MOst teams NEED a QB(possibly 4), CB(possibly 8), DE(7) or WR(4-5) in the first. If KV makes it past STL, then we have to pull the trigger
Ezekiel Ansah needs to be in here somewhere though aha. Thats my sleeper player.

I think it will come down to Goldson or Sopoaga. Then you have to decide on Bowman, I dont see us being able to keep all 11 Defensive players on the roster past 2013. Even though we can sign Bowman to extensions, it will be at the cost of Goldson and/or Sopoaga. Goldson is gonna cost more than Sopoaga, I cant see them giving in to him and giving him $8M a yr, that's a ridiculous number for a guy with 2 good seasons. He takes too many risks, too many personal fouls, I hate seeing him going for the hit when it wont be completed and we get 15 yard personal foul penalty. I rather let Sopoaga and Goldson go, extend Bowman, who is more important to our defense, extend Justin Smith, Whitner, draft a Rambo or Vaccaro, re-sign Jean Francois, draft a NT and DE in this draft or next draft.
I like it. We get a Tank, Uzzi and a pork chop in this mock. I'm a big fan of Carradine and he would be perfect for a rotational guy to develop.
Originally posted by drake49er:
I like it. We get a Tank, Uzzi and a pork chop in this mock. I'm a big fan of Carradine and he would be perfect for a rotational guy to develop.

Carradine isn't a popular name yet around these parts but in a few months he will be.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by martysofresh:

I think it will come down to Goldson or Sopoaga. Then you have to decide on Bowman, I dont see us being able to keep all 11 Defensive players on the roster past 2013. Even though we can sign Bowman to extensions, it will be at the cost of Goldson and/or Sopoaga. Goldson is gonna cost more than Sopoaga, I cant see them giving in to him and giving him $8M a yr, that's a ridiculous number for a guy with 2 good seasons. He takes too many risks, too many personal fouls, I hate seeing him going for the hit when it wont be completed and we get 15 yard personal foul penalty. I rather let Sopoaga and Goldson go, extend Bowman, who is more important to our defense, extend Justin Smith, Whitner, draft a Rambo or Vaccaro, re-sign Jean Francois, draft a NT and DE in this draft or next draft.

What's the drop off if we lose Goldson though? He makes alot of plays and is in his prime. Arguably a top 5 safety in the league right now. He's a very valuable piece to the puzzle. I doubt the offer would look like 8Mil a year now. He'd be looking more like 3yr 18il with maybe 7.5 gauranteed if he's smart wants to be part of a championship calibur team. I think replacing ICE would be an easier transition because we've played without him before when we was sick last season and hurt this season and the defense didnt miss a beat. Iagree with the re-signing of RJF. RJF and Ian Williams were able to hold it down and we could find an NT outside the 1st rd. Goldson is in his prime right now, even Ronnie Lott likes the way he plays. I was listening to Rod Woodson on 95.7 today and he was talking about playmakers in the secondary and how Ed Reed is so great because he's not afraid to make plays, and it made me think of Goldson(not saying he's as good as Reed) but he's truly playing lights out for us. He gets INTs and causes fumbles he may not be the star player of the Niners, but he's undeniably a playmaker. I think re-signing him to the 3yr deal and drafting one of those safeties to back him up would be the best thing for him. The way its looking, we could be choosing from T.J McDonald, Ray Ray Armstrong, Shawn Williams, Kenny Vaccaro, and Bacarri Rambo. Each one of those guys are incredibly gifted, ahve the ablilty to challenge Goldson to play at higher level or lose his job and quality depth is what we need. By the time Goldson starts to pique, we'll have a starting calibur safety ready. I like both players, but ICE is older and more expendable than Goldson. Its hard to pick between the two because both are so underrated by alot, but DG is the most underrated.
NOw referring to cap space, if we're drafting an OLB like Carradine in the 2nd, I dont see Haralson coming back. i dont remember the numbers you posted in the other thread, but you know how much cap that opens up. and then Brock not being resigned opens up more. We'll assume ICE doesnt resign, loss of Moss, Ginn, Grant and Jacobs. Possibly D-Walk as well. Oh and Haggans. How does the cap look AB? And what did you have in mind for the extensions of Smith and WHitner?
Btw, I swear this is like the longest post ive ever done lol.
had a double post
[ Edited by martysofresh on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM ]
Logical and well thought-out.

Thanks for all the work.

It's like a chess match. Risers, fallers, injuries, underclassmen - you gave us an excellent start to look at.
i will TAKE IT!

early mocks are fun. this draft would be awesome. but like I've argued in another thread, if Barrett Jones is still there in the 1st, he needs to be the pick.

Originally posted by jreff22:

Carradine isn't a popular name yet around these parts but in a few months he will be.

Carradine would be a nice pickup, I like Jordon from Oregon as well at the end of the second (very end!).
Originally posted by SF69ers:
i will TAKE IT!

early mocks are fun. this draft would be awesome. but like I've argued in another thread, if Barrett Jones is still there in the 1st, he needs to be the pick.

wont happen

Arizona would take him in a flash
i will TAKE IT!

wont happen

Players are always dropping and I'm sure AZ is more worried about a pure tackle. Barrett Jones would be serviceable at tackle, but his main positions are the interior, specifically center.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Carradine would be a nice pickup, I like Jordon from Oregon as well at the end of the second (very end!).

My issue with Jordan is his size. Very tall but very lean. It works for him the the Pac-12 style of ball, but I think he would get pushed around by quality NFL OL. At his height I would like to see him around 255 at least which could prove difficult.
i will TAKE IT!

wont happen

Players are always dropping and I'm sure AZ is more worried about a pure tackle. Barrett Jones would be serviceable at tackle, but his main positions are the interior, specifically center.
After paying Snyder a fortune and being the lowest graded OG in the NFL....don't put it past them.

Also the Bears could be a viable option as well....they are starting Chilo

Jones and Warmack will be top 25 picks

here is a ranking of the OL as of now....http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Share 49ersWebzone