LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

MD was right

Originally posted by Jcool:
Watt was the 11th pick in the draft meaning he had lots of talent. If he was the dominate player you seem to think he was in college as apposed to the really good player he was Buffalo would of taken him 3rd overall. He is a really talented player but no one was talking about him as this great player till Gruden over hyped him.

Anyone who follows the NFL should have seen this coming. After the INT for a TD in the playoff game against the Bengals, and the ridiculous numbers posted against the Ravens (2.5 sacks, 12 tackles), the writing was on the wall that this kid was ascending to a new level entering 2012.

Gruden was the latest of those who praise him. Long before Gruden slobbered over him, numerous publications had him as a top MVP candidate. Pro Football Focus graded him, and still grades him today, as the best player in the NFL.

So, Gruden is only one of the many voices, although this moment exposed Watt to many who do not follow the Texans.
Threads like this just show who's consistently watching football over a long span of time and those who just pay attention to the stat sheet on monday morning. Watt to the HOF? Are you guys freaking kidding? He's got 7 sacks thats great but holy s**t... We had a desperate need for a rush linebacker and we took the best one available and they guy almost broke records held by Jevon Kearse and Reggie White in his first and second years respectively. Our defense is much better than the Texans defense right now and Aldon Smith has a lot to do with that.
I think it is waaaay too early to talk hall of fame for anyone in just under one and a half seasons. Watt has played great to this point, but things can happen that could change that permanently. Career ending injury is just one example.
I think it was a win-win for the Niners. We would have done great either way, albeit J.Smith or Ray Mc. wouldnt be playing if JJ Watt was on our team. So maybe the thought at the time was; "Well were strong at DE, we just signed Smith and Ray Mc. to extensions and we still need a passrusher off the edge....hmmm, let's take the De/OLB guy (Smith)"
Watt is an impressive player...but, I'm very happy w/Aldon Smith. Besides, we already have Justin Smith and Ray Mac...it's not like DE was a huge need then or now. When/if JS begins to slow down, then a guy like Watt makes a ton of sense, but to say we should've taken him over Aldon is pointless.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Im sorry but what Watt is doing isnt revolutionary, For years now when watching a game and you see a DL knock a ball down you will always hear a commentator say this is what these guys are taught if you dont get to the QB put your hands up and try and knock it down. Watt is really good at it but its been taught for years now. You act like he invented this move lol

Knocking down balls is not revolutionary. However, the number of balls he is swatting away, tipping for INT's, is exponentially better than other DL in the NFL. He is doing something regularly that other guys are not doingregularly. So, the question is, "What is he doing that is supreme to other DL in the NFL?" That is where the instincts and positioning, and use of arms to interfere with throwing lanes, comes into play. He will change the way DL think about the way DL can take away throwing lanes, force QB's to throw to alternative spots on the field, alter the trajectory of their throws, etc. At the same time, this will force OL to adapt their game to ensure that these DL cannot alter games the way Watt has altered a number of games thus far with tipped balls. I'm telling you as a former coach, his tape is going to dissected relentlessly by NFL, college and high school coaches, and his techniques copied.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Im sorry but what Watt is doing isnt revolutionary, For years now when watching a game and you see a DL knock a ball down you will always hear a commentator say this is what these guys are taught if you dont get to the QB put your hands up and try and knock it down. Watt is really good at it but its been taught for years now. You act like he invented this move lol

Knocking down balls is not revolutionary. However, the number of balls he is swatting away, tipping for INT's, is exponentially better than other DL in the NFL. He is doing something regularly that other guys are not doingregularly. So, the question is, "What is he doing that is supreme to other DL in the NFL?" That is where the instincts and positioning, and use of arms to interfere with throwing lanes, comes into play. He will change the way DL think about the way DL can take away throwing lanes, force QB's to throw to alternative spots on the field, alter the trajectory of their throws, etc. At the same time, this will force OL to adapt their game to ensure that these DL cannot alter games the way Watt has altered a number of games thus far with tipped balls. I'm telling you as a former coach, his tape is going to dissected relentlessly by NFL, college and high school coaches, and his techniques copied.

The technique is 6'6" with very long arms and leaping ability....
No question Watt is playing extremely well, and the full extent of his talent and potential began to reveal itself last year.

Also no question that no one saw just how great he could be before the draft, or he'd have been drafted in the top 5, maybe even #1 overall that year.

MD had him rated only at #18 in the last version of his big board before that draft.

How does that qualify as being "right?"

Watt is proving to be a great player, but he didn't fit the Niners' greatest need that year.

Aldon did fit the need, and he had a great year himself.

And he was part of what has to be considered a great draft overall that year: Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Miller, Kaepernick, Kilgore.

Is there another NFL team that had that much success in the draft that year?
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Throw enough s**t at a wall and something is bound to stick.

Lol this lol
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
No question Watt is playing extremely well, and the full extent of his talent and potential began to reveal itself last year.

Also no question that no one saw just how great he could be before the draft, or he'd have been drafted in the top 5, maybe even #1 overall that year.

MD had him rated only at #18 in the last version of his big board before that draft.

Watt is proving to be a great player, but he didn't fit the Niners' greatest need that year.

And he was part of what has to be considered a great draft overall that year: Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Miller, Kaepernick, Kilgore.

I love out 2011 draft class. All of those guys listed are playing good amount of plays. Even if we only have 6 of our 10 picks left, at least they all contribute. As for Watt, like I said, and I agree with you, didn't fit the need, we needed a OLB due to Lawson not fitting in, and Haralson has been a bust as pass rusher since he got extended.

Both smith and watt have been thriving in their teams. Both have potential to be HOFers if they keep this up.
Confused by a couple things. 1. What exactly MD was right about 2. MD is a former coach??
Watt being a revolutionary player primarily on passes defensed? Yeah I don't agree there.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Projected to be selected at 18, but graded by me, and on my board, as the 5th best player in the draft. Big difference since he would be on the 49ers roster if the team followed my board.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Projected to be selected at 18, but graded by me, and on my board, as the 5th best player in the draft. Big difference since he would be on the 49ers roster if the team followed my board.

No disresepect, but I think everyone, or most agree, we aced the 2011 draft. Aldon's production has been amazing, 18.5 sacks in 21 games is amazing.
Share 49ersWebzone