LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

MD was right

Originally posted by Jcool:
First off Watt is not going to "revolutionize the game" He isn't doing anything special out there. He is a really good defensive linemen, getting a lot of sacks but so was Clay Matthews, three weeks ago when he was on pace for 40 sacks (he was never going to get close to that but that was the pace). Watt got over hyped because he was on Monday Night Football and the moron Gruden (thank god the 49ers didn't hire him) was going to make Watt the guy he went nuts over and next week it will be someone else he thinks is the greatest player ever. In 16 games last year Watt had 4 pass deflections and 5.5 sack, average numbers, granted he was a rookie but people need to stop acting like he had 20 sacks and 20 deflections guy last year and this year is just a continuation of that. The real truth behind Watts breakout year is Wade Phillips. I don't know the exact number but its something like 4-5 guys he has coached have lead the league in sacks. The way he schemes his defense someone racks up big sack numbers.

Now people seem to be down on Aldon Smith this year because he isn't sacking the QB every play, like it appeared last year. They remember him last year playing 2 downs per drive and getting 2 sacks. Well while he is still being asked to sack the QB he is also being asked to cover a RB or TE and he is a 3 down linebacker this year. He is helping with the run and pass and guess what he would probably be leading the league is sacks right now if he didn't lose a couple to defensive penalties and still not sure if the disputed one that was credited to Ray McDonald was ever corrected. Would i want Watt on this team? Sure he is a good player. Would I trade Aldon Smith for J.J. Watt? No.

LOL. It's more than Wade Phillips. Watt was a dominant destroyer in college way before he knew Phillips.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL. It's more than Wade Phillips. Watt was a dominant destroyer in college way before he knew Phillips.

If he was that, he wouldn't have gone 11th (5th defensive player taken and 2nd DE)
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:

If he was that, he wouldn't have gone 11th (5th defensive player taken and 2nd DE)

LOL. You obviously never watched him play. I watched every single game he played. And he clearly was physically superior to whoever he went against in every single game. Same way he looks in the pros. #11 is pretty high. Some guys slip below what they should.

Why did Tom Brady go in the 6th round? Why did Joe Montana go in the 3rd round? You think teams always get everything right....

If they did the draft over again He's top 5 for sure. Mostly QB's go early and OLB pass rushers are favored over big DE's. But nobody knew this guy would be this good. People on the WZ were comparing him to Adam Carriker. Adam freakin Carriker. LOL. I guess because they are both big, white and wore a red jersey in college so they must be the same.... Anybody who ever watched him knew he is 10 times the athlete and playmaker of Carriker. I thought it was a complete joke when people said that but they were just showing how ill informed they really are.
You gotta realize Watt went right where he should of. Also it was tough with a lockout, and may or may not of been a rookie wage scale, so we could of seen a 50M deal for Aldon if not for rookie wage scale, reason teams didnt make trades inside the top 10.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
LOL. You obviously never watched him play. I watched every single game he played. And he clearly was physically superior to whoever he went against in every single game. Same way he looks in the pros. #11 is pretty high. Some guys slip below what they should.

Why did Tom Brady go in the 6th round? Why did Joe Montana go in the 3rd round? You think teams always get everything right....

If they did the draft over again He's top 5 for sure. Mostly QB's go early and OLB pass rushers are favored over big DE's. But nobody knew this guy would be this good. People on the WZ were comparing him to Adam Carriker. Adam freakin Carriker. LOL. I guess because they are both big, white and wore a red jersey in college so they must be the same.... Anybody who ever watched him knew he is 10 times the athlete and playmaker of Carriker. I thought it was a complete joke when people said that but they were just showing how ill informed they really are.

Watt was the 11th pick in the draft meaning he had lots of talent. If he was the dominate player you seem to think he was in college as apposed to the really good player he was Buffalo would of taken him 3rd overall. He is a really talented player but no one was talking about him as this great player till Gruden over hyped him.
Man, this is like do you like the brown Maserati better or the red one? You get a guy like ALL DONE, you just be dam happy to have him. Remember, there were many that said he was a real reach. That was partly right because the guy can reach about 6 feet with each arm. So what if one Maserati is a bit different than the other. They are both built for speed, for quickness, for strength, for....well, any one thing you can think of. And they both work just great. Arguing over this is like trying to count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Good grief you guys. You get an ALL PRO for yrs, and a standout Offense stopper, 14.5 sacks as a rook, and somebody is saying we could or should have taken someone else? Somebody has way too much time on their hands.
Im diwn with all Smiths right now.....
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Man, this is like do you like the brown Maserati better or the red one? You get a guy like ALL DONE, you just be dam happy to have him. Remember, there were many that said he was a real reach. That was partly right because the guy can reach about 6 feet with each arm. So what if one Maserati is a bit different than the other. They are both built for speed, for quickness, for strength, for....well, any one thing you can think of. And they both work just great. Arguing over this is like trying to count how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Good grief you guys. You get an ALL PRO for yrs, and a standout Offense stopper, 14.5 sacks as a rook, and somebody is saying we could or should have taken someone else? Somebody has way too much time on their hands.

14 btw.

They can both be good. I think even both be great. It's hard to say we will regret Aldon. In fact he's the best pass rusher we have had in more than a decade. It's hard to be disappointed with that.

The only thing that can hold Aldon back is his self destructive tendencies.
Apple and oranges. JJ Watts is looking to be a great player if he continues to play like he has. Smith is going to be a great player in his own right. However, what MD does grade a player. I cannot remember if he wanted us to trade down and get JJ, for that, that would have been a great value, but the niners drafted the player they thought best fit our scheme or version of the 3-4 that we run, where the LB make the plays. Fangio's trademark has been great sets of LB's, he had them when the saints were playing the niners in our division and he has them now. Smith best fits our D than does JJ, Aldon makes our defense as a whole better than would JJ at the time and at this point for the next 2-3 years and that is the main thing, you draft per your scheme, not just on the players potential or ability. We would be a lesser D with JJ and no rush OLB. Ray would not be signed and we would still have no rush OLB. The result would be more pressure on the DB's. Also, don't think for a moment that Aldon's pressense doesn't help our other OLB as teams look to nutreulize him more than the other leaving more one on one blocking situations.

Everyone can have their day, but look at what Baalke brought us as a whole, Hunter, Culliver, Bowman, Iupati, and Davis. The blackeye being the saftey who shall not be named for the reason of some coaches blind obbsession with who had no talent as a talent evaluator as we now know.
14 btw.

They can both be good. I think even both be great. It's hard to say we will regret Aldon. In fact he's the best pass rusher we have had in more than a decade. It's hard to be disappointed with that.

The only thing that can hold Aldon back is his self destructive tendencies.

Basing on one season, but he might be the best pass rusher ever, including Haley and Fred Dean, as you have said, as long as he avoids foolishness.

This reminds me of the Shawn Merriman vs demarcus ware debate. In the first three years, Merriman was the better player; however, it is ware who will be a hall of famer while Merriman cannot latch onto a team.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I would argue that MD did not get it right when he evaluated the Aldon Smith pick..

Here is his comment on the drafting on Aldon Smith.

First Round- Aldon Smith- C grade Smith was the best OLB left on the board when the Niners selected. He does present a need for the team. However, the team intended on selecting a QB along the way, and missed on grabbing the best one in the draft, Blaine Gabbert. Instead, the team selected Colin Kaepernick, who may not be the best fit for the WCO. As for Smith, he is a good straight ahead rush backer. At the same time, he is not an elite athlete, which is what you want from a guy this high on the board. Smith's shuttle numbers at the combine, which show change of direction skills, was amongst the worst for the DE class. He only pressed the bar 20 times, which is not horrible for a guy with a long wingspan, but still mediocre. Smith's long jump, which measures explosiveness, was average, and his cone time was poor. So, while he posted good numbers at Missouri, and certainly has a big upside, the current Smith is not an elite Smith, and to me, too risky for the 7th overall. Can he be great? Maybe. But, once again, the team is not drafting in the 15th, or 20th, or 25th spot. This is the 7th overall. Just not good value.

That was MD had to say. If you think that analysis is correct, more power to you.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM ]
Based on what MD knew, he wasnt wrong and he wasn't exactly right either. He was right that Watt was a good pick, IMO he was wrong about Aldon being a bad pick/C grade pick.
blah blah blah....JJ and Aldon may both be in the HOF one day. Both great players.
We cant compare both JJ and Aldon this early, maybe wait 5 years from now and see where both are in their career. We cant forget that if the 49ers didnt draft Aldon, the Texans was going to grab him since they were eyeing him during the draft. In the future if these two becomes both HOF'ers, we'll look back at this post and laugh to why we even compare both of them.
Share 49ersWebzone