There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

sheldon richardson DT missouri

Originally posted by kush:
Which games? I've been trying to buy into this kid but haven't been overly impressed by anything I've seen. Please help, I'd love to see what everyone is talking about

i just went on draftbreakdown.com and watched all the vids they had on him

he consistently gives 100% effort, chasing down plays down the field and away from him and his quickness is unreal for his size

he looks raw..unreal quick, powerful, non stop motor..definitely has all the tools and once tomsula gets his hands on him sky is the limit
My #1 pick in the draft.

I'd be elated if we traded up for him.

A solid question is how much is too much to move up for a player.

Look what Falcons gave up for Julio and many in the zone said it was worth it.

I know nobody can predcit the future BUT what would you give up for a potential Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Warren Sapp, Joe Montana?

It's a gamble as is every selection - so If I was in charge I'd roll the dice for Sheldon.
I have to agree w/Ghost...attractive as Richardson is, Baalke would have to give up a lot to get him. Since this draft has quite a few very good DL who can play multiple positions, that's the way to go IMHO. Same argument for not drafting a "pure" NT...no good reason to do that if you have Dorsey and JW. Like I've also been saying, TB needs to trade down/up to the 2nd and 3rd rds...vast majority of experts agree that's the most talented pool of players this year. All he needs to do is add two more picks and he'd have 7 in the 1st three rds...and he'd be all but done, save maybe a late rounder or two for PS competition.
Wow...this has been happening to me all day...what I type isn't what shows up. Come on, mods, enough already...
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
My #1 pick in the draft.

I'd be elated if we traded up for him.

A solid question is how much is too much to move up for a player.

Look what Falcons gave up for Julio and many in the zone said it was worth it.

I know nobody can predcit the future BUT what would you give up for a potential Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Warren Sapp, Joe Montana?

It's a gamble as is every selection - so If I was in charge I'd roll the dice for Sheldon.

i agree w/ you, if they feel he's got that high of a ceiling you make the move.

when i watch him he reminds me of warren sapp. the guy is raw but the athleticism and the fact that he gives 100% effort on every play is very encouraging.

and when tomsula gets his hands on him, he will create the monster
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Wow...this has been happening to me all day...what I type isn't what shows up. Come on, mods, enough already...

ignore it, we can read what u type clearly..u just can't read ur own posts. the rest of us can read it
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think we're better off moving up just a few spots to secure Jesse Williams than jumping up to the middle of the first to get Richardson. Richardson is the better pass rusher, no doubt, but Williams is more versatile...we could get a pass rushing DE later.

One that is stout enough to play the run as a 3-4 DE too? I think not. We need an every-down player. Outside of Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, and Datone Jones... I don't see anybody that could replace Justin Smith.

How is Jesse Williams more versatile? He's a solid player, no doubt. But he's a run stuffer... a very good one, but we need a consistent pass rushing DL. Justin Smith has 1 more year, and if he gets hurt, our defense sucks.

1.) I think people forget that we don't play in a pure/constant 3-4. We play just as much 4-3 as anything, so they don't have to be PURE 3-4 d-lineman (neither RayMac or Justin were true 3-4 DE when they came in to the league, they developed over time).

2.) There are a number of guys who have the frame/ability to be effective DEs in our system, e.g., William Gholston, Tank Carradine, Margus Hunt, Everett Dawkins, Nick Williams, Devin Taylor, Lavar Edwards, Joe Kruger, Malliciah Goodman, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Quinton Dial, Benny Logan, Stacey McGee and Damian Square. Not all will be effective right away, but they don't need to be since McDonald and Smith still have plenty of football in them.

3.) Jesse Williams is versatile in that he could play be a 3-4 NT (likely his future position), a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE (which he played a lot at Alabama). Richardson (who as I said, is a better pass rusher than Williams) can do a lot of things, but I don't see him being an effective 3-4 NT.

That said, if they want to trade up for Richardson, I wouldn't be opposed to it...I just don't think they will. And I like Richardson, but I don't think he's a monster pass rusher (6 sacks in two years) that will somehow solve our problems if something happened to Justin or Ray.
the stats aren't there w/ # of sacks but i'm sure we can agree we both can see an initial quickness that is RARE..he disrupts the pocket consistently.

i keep going back to warren sapp type player

KEEP EM COMING MIZZOU!
Originally posted by iLL49er:
the stats aren't there w/ # of sacks but i'm sure we can agree we both can see an initial quickness that is RARE..he disrupts the pocket consistently.

Richardson reminds me a lot of Glenn Dorsey when he was coming out in that he seems to be a better fit as an inside/4-3 DT guy than a 5-technique. But since we play a lot of 4-3 that might work.
Ok, cool...thanks. It's a little wierd seeing it all jumbled up like that...I thought maybe there was something strange in my coffee .
this is the guy we need to draft
Hey why not have another mizzou tiger on the line? He is a beast and is worth trading up for
Originally posted by iLL49er:

Warren Sapp type of player, jeez i hope so he is getting his speech ready for the Hall of Fame!! Sheldon is great great player, i have seen everygame hes player including a bunch of his high school games. Man this guy never stops playing, they double and triple him at Mizzou and he still makes disruptive plays. He is a good ol hard working Missouri boy just like the "Cowboy". If we gave a 3rd and 4th to move up i would not mind at all, we cannot afford to pay more than 5 picks anyway. We have 14. swap 1st and give up one of the 3 and 4 we have and take this guy. Hell while we are at it, draft Xavier Gooden , linebacker from Mizzou as well. This kid is really good and we need a backup since Grant is gone.
richardson is, it seems to me, alot like ray mcdonald, a good sized guy who is quick off the snap