LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

Draft players to help strengthen our secondary.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Must say, only one preseason game, but Kenny Wiggins looked pretty solid at RT to me.

People may chuckle, but I'm also starting to think Dobbs has a real chance to develop into a good DE starter. Maybe he really can be the heir apparent to Justin. Lots of draft picks, but not really seeing a lot of needs. I can see us going with yet another WR at pick # 32.

I know Dobbs was play 2nd and 3rd stringers, but that guy dominated in a way that makes me think he should get a look with the ones.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Must say, only one preseason game, but Kenny Wiggins looked pretty solid at RT to me.

People may chuckle, but I'm also starting to think Dobbs has a real chance to develop into a good DE starter. Maybe he really can be the heir apparent to Justin. Lots of draft picks, but not really seeing a lot of needs. I can see us going with yet another WR at pick # 32.

I know Dobbs was play 2nd and 3rd stringers, but that guy dominated in a way that makes me think he should get a look with the ones.

Think that's a good idea. RJF started at RDE since Justin had the night off. I think Fangio knows what he has in him. So yeah, I'd be inclined to plug Dobbs in right away and see how he looks against their starting LT/LG.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Think that's a good idea. RJF started at RDE since Justin had the night off. I think Fangio knows what he has in him. So yeah, I'd be inclined to plug Dobbs in right away and see how he looks against their starting LT/LG.

Liked Dobbs last year when he and Aldon seemed to play well next to each other and he seems to be improving on schedule. He won't be another Cowboy but he does have a chance to be very good. He is a bit small for a DE in the 3/4 but perhaps he can bulk up...and lie about his height.
Let's just wait and see what we need, what we lose to F.A., who we pickup in FA, then go from there.
With so much depth on the team, bringing in mid-late round picks don't help if they're unlikely to make the roster. We need to trade up and draft guys that fall a bit. Picking up an extra player or two in the 2-4 round area would be a good idea, IMO.
Add a TE into the mix now
Draft players.

Fairly confident Baalke knows what to do.
Trade 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to draft Keenan Allen

OR

Trade extra 3rd and 5th for picks a round higher the next year. We don't need all the picks with our depth and having a first, 2 seconds, 2 fourths the following year would set us up for more impact players rather than depth that could potentially not make the team.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Let's just wait and see what we need, what we lose to F.A., who we pickup in FA, then go from there.

What fun would that be? Logical? Yes. Fun? Not so much!

we need a large true cover corner who can run with the big boys. it would make our defense nearly invincible
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Trade 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to draft Keenan Allen

OR

Trade extra 3rd and 5th for picks a round higher the next year. We don't need all the picks with our depth and having a first, 2 seconds, 2 fourths the following year would set us up for more impact players rather than depth that could potentially not make the team.

Definitely like the 2nd option if we can get a team to bite. We did it one year with Indy for the 42nd pick and ended up with the 29th pick which was nice because we had given that 1st away to get Staley the year before. (although we wasted it with balmer) The other one was the Panthers who took Everette Brown and we got 17 which we took Mike Iupati with. It sucks waiting a year but if you can get a team desperate enough to give a round higher the next year it's worth it. Especially if that team is expected to do bad and you can select high in the round. We have a golden opportunity with a 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 to really do damage and reload for the future to keep hopefully what is going to become a dynasty going.

As for the 1st option whether it's for a FS if Goldson isn't resigned or for say a WR we would have to hit if we give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe another 3rd. I don't necessarily like that option but if we go that way we damn well better hit and get someone who can instantly contribute and put us over the top. If not it kills us because we could have 3-4 good players with that. 1, 2, 3 (and maybe another 3) is a heck of a lot of depth and maybe a starter or 2 for the future. Hard to pass that up for one player IMO.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by WildBill:

What fun would that be? Logical? Yes. Fun? Not so much!

Thanks dtg... that's why I said for fun. Of course we will want to wait until after free agency and this season to see who steps up (or gets worse) but it's just for fun and a way to kill time. Gives us something to discuss.
FS and NT are top ones still IMO. I can't see us paying Goldson 8M a yr that he wants, and Sopoaga is coming off a 20M deal, and doesn't play every down. Realistically the ones who are brought back would be RJF, Moss(If he has a good season), possibly Jacobs if they like him in 2012, Cartwright, and Walker.

We will need a better 5th CB, Brock won't cut it, and at a $1.26M tender, he isn't worth it.

I don't know how much of a need WR will be. Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins are all signed for 2012, along with Williams if he remains with team. I think it should be a defensive player in rd 1. FS like Robert Lester, Vaughn Telemaque, Baccari Rambo all come to mind and Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, and the Utah kid come to mind for NT.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
FS and NT are top ones still IMO. I can't see us paying Goldson 8M a yr that he wants, and Sopoaga is coming off a 20M deal, and doesn't play every down. Realistically the ones who are brought back would be RJF, Moss(If he has a good season), possibly Jacobs if they like him in 2012, Cartwright, and Walker.

We will need a better 5th CB, Brock won't cut it, and at a $1.26M tender, he isn't worth it.

I don't know how much of a need WR will be. Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins are all signed for 2012, along with Williams if he remains with team. I think it should be a defensive player in rd 1. FS like Robert Lester, Vaughn Telemaque, Baccari Rambo all come to mind and Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, and the Utah kid come to mind for NT.

You think if we let Sopoaga go and re-sign RJF plus with Williams backing him up we still go NT early? Do you think RJF can get it done at NT? Yeah, Sopoaga had a 20 million dollar deal back then and he is much better now. I wouldn't expect him to take less than 25 million or so (4 yrs?). Would be nice to have him back but not sure he is in the budget.

If Brock doesn't step up then I have no problem with us drafting another CB. I think WR could be another need especially if Moss isn't back. Definitely depends on who steps up this year. I would agree in that FS would probably be our 1st round need if Goldson isn't back. I think we do what we can to get him back... if he meets us at 7-7.5 mil we should re-sign him. Hes the QB of our defense back there... I expect him to get better as well. We could always tag him again if we don't need it for someone else.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone