There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

if bruce irvin and aj jenkins both on board for niners pick at #30 in rd 1.

who do they take?
Bruce Jenkins
Jenkins. I think Bruce Irvin has a high fail possibility. He's a one trick pony. Speed rusher. And he's not that strong at the point of attack. I think he was overdrafted by a lot.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Bruce Jenkins

A.J. Irvin
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Jenkins. I think Bruce Irvin has a high fail possibility. He's a one trick pony. Speed rusher. And he's not that strong at the point of attack. I think he was overdrafted by a lot.

Where do you get that?

He's got a slight frame and is very quick and explosive so, yes, he can speed rush but in the 3 games I saw from his senior year (v.clemson for sure, can't remember the other two schools off the top of my head) he rarely would use his speed rush. He is actually a very physical player for his size and engages the OLineman in front of him more often than not. He's got a nice bull rush for his size.

The thing that concerns me is I saw him get run by multiple times (one a 70 yarder that went right by him)because he doesn't pick up the ball carrier well out of the backfield ( I don't know if this is an awareness issue or if he just only cares about rushing the passer).

Regardless, this season I'd expect him to get 5-7 sacks while pissing off Seahawks fans b/c coaches keep running the ball right at him and succeeding.
[ Edited by kush on May 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by kush:

Where do you get that?

He's got a slight frame and is very quick and explosive so, yes, he can speed rush but in the 3 games I saw from his senior year (v.clemson for sure, can't remember the other two schools off the top of my head) he rarely would use his speed rush. He is actually a very physical player for his size and engages the OLineman in front of him more often than not. He's got a nice bull rush for his size.

The thing that concerns me is I saw him get run by multiple times (one a 70 yarder that went right by him)because he doesn't pick up the ball carrier well out of the backfield ( I don't know if this is an awareness issue or if he just only cares about rushing the passer).

Regardless, this season I'd expect him to get 5-7 sacks while pissing off Seahawks fans b/c coaches keep running the ball right at him and succeeding.

I agree with the part of people running at him and succeeding. Your other parts I don't agree with.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Bruce Irvin.

With Aldon Smith entering a full-time role, the 49ers need pass rushing depth to spell Smith and Brooks at DE and OLB. And Haralson is in the last year of his contract, Irvin would have secured the OLB position for the next 4 years, at least.

Plus, the 49ers would have been in a position to draft Randle or Hill at the end of the 2nd round instead.

OLB: Smith/Haralson
OLB: Brooks/Irvin

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Randle/Hill, Ginn

vs.

OLB: Smith/Haralson
OLB: Brooks/Johnson

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn

I'd like the first option better.
Baalke decided on Jenkins the night before the draft. Do you think he already knew about Seattle or someone before the Niners would take Irvin?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Baalke decided on Jenkins the night before the draft. Do you think he already knew about Seattle or someone before the Niners would take Irvin?

I doubt Irvin would of been at 30, apparently Jets eyed him before Irvin went to Seattle. And even if he was at 30, Jenkins is the pick, bigger need. And Jenkins is more ready then Hill, and Randle is overrated as are LSU WRs.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I doubt Irvin would of been at 30, apparently Jets eyed him before Irvin went to Seattle. And even if he was at 30, Jenkins is the pick, bigger need. And Jenkins is more ready then Hill, and Randle is overrated as are LSU WRs.

I didnt think Irvin would have been there at 30 either. His stock was soaring the few days before the draft. I really thought thats who they were going to be taking at 30.
I heard that the Jets had a deal to move down to #24 with the Steelers who wanted to trade up for DeCastro oddly enough. When the Seahawks took Irvin the Jets turned down the offer because they were surprised Coples was still there and just had to take him.

He wasn't their top pick, nor was he the only player they selected (they'd be fools otherwise). He was one of the players they were targeting, but it doesn't mean he was their top choice either.
Originally posted by dhp318:

He wasn't their top pick, nor was he the only player they selected (they'd be fools otherwise). He was one of the players they were targeting, but it doesn't mean he was their top choice either.

Im sure there were some players above him on their big board (Luck, RG3, Blackmon?) but it was reported the night before that Baalke gave Harbaugh an envelope and sais this is who we're drafting and it was Jenkins.
Bruce Irvin is a dynamic player. He may be primarily a speed rusher now but make know mistake he has the potential to be a dangerous all around player. There was no way he was ever going to fall to the 49ers at #30

There were many that said the same about Aldon last year.
Bruce Irvine is 6'3 248, this is the toughest size to judge in the NFL. He's too small for the line at this point, at LB can he cover and show enough strength to rush the passer? There have been too many busts at the tweener position.