LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

if bruce irvin and aj jenkins both on board for niners pick at #30 in rd 1.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Bruce Irvin.

With Aldon Smith entering a full-time role, the 49ers need pass rushing depth to spell Smith and Brooks at DE and OLB. And Haralson is in the last year of his contract, Irvin would have secured the OLB position for the next 4 years, at least.

Plus, the 49ers would have been in a position to draft Randle or Hill at the end of the 2nd round instead.

OLB: Smith/Haralson
OLB: Brooks/Irvin

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Randle/Hill, Ginn

vs.

OLB: Brooks/Johnson

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn

I'd like the first option better.

lol we have Willis locked up, Bowman isnt going anywhere, we just paid up to keep Brooks, Aldon was a smashing success, brought back Grant, etc, etc, etc. Why would we then use our 1st pick of the draft on a high risk pass rusher projected to mid 2nd+?

Baalke put Jenkins' name in an envelope the night before. We werent taking Irvin...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Jenkins. I think Bruce Irvin has a high fail possibility. He's a one trick pony. Speed rusher. And he's not that strong at the point of attack. I think he was overdrafted by a lot.

Where do you get that?

He's got a slight frame and is very quick and explosive so, yes, he can speed rush but in the 3 games I saw from his senior year (v.clemson for sure, can't remember the other two schools off the top of my head) he rarely would use his speed rush. He is actually a very physical player for his size and engages the OLineman in front of him more often than not. He's got a nice bull rush for his size.

The thing that concerns me is I saw him get run by multiple times (one a 70 yarder that went right by him)because he doesn't pick up the ball carrier well out of the backfield ( I don't know if this is an awareness issue or if he just only cares about rushing the passer).

Regardless, this season I'd expect him to get 5-7 sacks while pissing off Seahawks fans b/c coaches keep running the ball right at him and succeeding.

I agree with the part of people running at him and succeeding. Your other parts I don't agree with.

The eye in the sky never lies.

He plays a physical game or rather played a physical game at the college level. Perhaps you dont think his strength will translate well to the NFL? What are you basing your opinion on? If there was a specific game you saw that he was not effective in or just speed rushed the whole time I'd like to know. I spent a lot of time watching him this year and came away distinctly surprised with his physicality as a lean guy.
It was Irvin allday
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bruce Irvin.

With Aldon Smith entering a full-time role, the 49ers need pass rushing depth to spell Smith and Brooks at DE and OLB. And Haralson is in the last year of his contract, Irvin would have secured the OLB position for the next 4 years, at least.

Plus, the 49ers would have been in a position to draft Randle or Hill at the end of the 2nd round instead.

OLB: Brooks/Irvin

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Randle/Hill, Ginn

vs.

OLB: Brooks/Johnson

WR: Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn

I'd like the first option better.

lol we have Willis locked up, Bowman isnt going anywhere, we just paid up to keep Brooks, Aldon was a smashing success, brought back Grant, etc, etc, etc. Why would we then use our 1st pick of the draft on a high risk pass rusher projected to mid 2nd+?

Baalke put Jenkins' name in an envelope the night before. We werent taking Irvin...

The O struggled the whole year. The D was magnificent. We can use our 1st round pick and try to get an impact player to help the O or to get a depth player for the D. I know it is BPA in the first but I see this choice as a no brainer.

But anyway, Irvin wasnt there. Which surprised me but there you are.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Baalke decided on Jenkins the night before the draft. Do you think he already knew about Seattle or someone before the Niners would take Irvin?

I doubt Irvin would of been at 30, apparently Jets eyed him before Irvin went to Seattle. And even if he was at 30, Jenkins is the pick, bigger need. And Jenkins is more ready then Hill, and Randle is overrated as are LSU WRs.
Rex Ryan said he had both Coples and Stephan Hill rated ahead of Irvin
They woulda got both. I could put money Jenkins woulda been on the board in the second round.
I think it would be a better debate if you added Decastro into the debate with Irvin and Jenkins. I still think they would have picked Jenkins.
irvin all day
Feeling very glad that Irvin was not there to be the choice. He reminds me of an Aaron Maybin, and I much prefer to add a quality WR for our offense than to go with a light project at rush LB. Didn't even like Jenkins until the 3rd rd... but they do and did far more draft homework than I, so....
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
They woulda got both. I could put money Jenkins woulda been on the board in the second round.

He would have gone 3 picks later to the Rams at #33.

They made the right choice with Aj. Other teams had first round grades on him. Rice loved him. We made the correct choice.
i love the cam johnson pick in round 7

i think we made the right pick

bruce irvin is one dimensional there is no way he is an every down player with his size he is just a liability against the run and he has no power moves to rush the passer just speed moves

if an athlethic LT is on him (joe staley or AD) he really wont be too hard to neutralize
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

Then you aren't a very good betting man. There have been articles saying rams were eying him at #33.
technically that would be the 2nd round
[ Edited by hofer36 on May 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM ]
irvin

can't ever have enough pass rushing DE/OLB's
Share 49ersWebzone