LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

More Surprising: A.J. or LaMichael?

The James pick shocked me more. I wasn't surprised that they picked a RB in the 2nd rd but I couldn't believe they picked Lamichael James. I don't really see where he fits but it will be interesting to find out.
James is the bigger suprise. Everyone knew for sure we would take a WR first or second. Wasnt expecting a RB early.
I was surprised by both, but in retrospect it makes sense. Last year's team sorely lacked team speed, particularly at receiver (VD notwithstanding). I think they project James as a fixture in the passing game and a way to punish opponents who blitz too often. He really excelled at screens and flare passes at Oregon. Perhaps the Niners feel that Hunter is less effective in that role. In any event, this will create some nice competition at that spot (and they have to be praying that Brandon Jacobs will show up since they didn't draft a big bruising RB for short yardage and goal-line plays).

But the most interesting competition in TC and PS will be with the quarterbacks, I think. Someone who can throw people open and hit them in stride will mean that these speed-burning picks won't be underutilized.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
luxury picks all day, err day.

Haha this
When Harbaugh compared James to Ray Rice I creamed my pants!!
Jenkins, never saw it coming.

James ripped up the Pac 10/12. Not surprised Harbaugh wanted him.
Mmm...

No one saw us drafting A.J. Jenkins, but everyone figured we'd draft a receiver or tight end.
No one saw us drafting a runningback, but LaMichael James is well-thought of as a prospect.

In terms of shock value, A.J. Jenkins was a bigger surprise, because he wasn't high up on anyone's draft boards. But in terms of, "Did we really just draft him?", James is a surprise because we didn't think we''d pick up a back so high in the draft.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
James is the bigger suprise. Everyone knew for sure we would take a WR first or second. Wasnt expecting a RB early.

My sentiments exactly
The positions didnt surprise me but the players did. I have watched James on everyone of his carry, the one word that I can describe the guy with is ELECTRIC. This running back can score from anyplace on the field.
after they got these two guys i already considered it a great draft. i think Jenkins is gonna be a beast and it shocked me when we took him but getting LaMichael James was mind blowing. this guy is so explosive anywhere you put him. i cant wait to see him in action

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LaMichael is way more surprising. We already have Hunter. The 49ers must love tiny RB's. Not sure what it says about the confidence they have in Gore either. They are looking out longer term which is good. I'm just surprised they want to go so small. But James is fast and quick so maybe he can be our Sproles. Which would help us.

+1

49ers play power football. The 49ers brought in Robert Turbin, a big back, for a look. And like SanDiego49er says, we already have Hunter as our 3rd down back.

Plus, everybody on this forum was thinking we would draft for our biggest needs: WR and OG in the first two rounds. With Frank Gore still producing, a situational RB in the second round? Yes, a complete surprise.

BTW, I can't wait to see how Harbaugh uses James and Hunter this upcoming season.
Originally posted by Chaserton650:
It was Jenkins for me because I was expecting them to take Fleener in the first and predicting a RB in the second. I was thinking Lamar Miller though...I'm not at all shocked that Harbaalke defied the draft gurus with a so-called "reach" while still addressing the pass game, but I did feel that Harbaugh liked Fleener enough to convince Baalke to make Fleener the pick. What do you guys think?

See i don't get you guys. We have VD, already top paid tight end, we have Dwalker, an avg back up. Then the third guy. Okay we have 3 guys the third never gets on the field anyways. Fleener good would only be number 2 theirs no way he ever gets to start over davis, so why spend a first round pick on a player that will never start. With the Wr pick at least we have a guy who will actually have a chance to be a starter.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
See i don't get you guys. We have VD, already top paid tight end, we have Dwalker, an avg back up. Then the third guy. Okay we have 3 guys the third never gets on the field anyways. Fleener good would only be number 2 theirs no way he ever gets to start over davis, so why spend a first round pick on a player that will never start. With the Wr pick at least we have a guy who will actually have a chance to be a starter.
It doesn't matter whether Davis or Fleener or Walker would've been the #1...you can have 2 or all 3 of them in on the same plays and when they're out running routes getting open, the QB is going to be looking for the open man. He's not worried about which player is in which position on the depth chart. I still believe the red zone/3rd down offense would have been greatly affected by Fleener's presence..but the FO knows what they're doing, so I'm sure A.J. was the best choice.
AJ is the more surprising, of course. James was a 2nd-3rd round prospect, thus he was picked in his range.

Furthermore, Gore is still injury-prone though he had an injury-free 2011 season. We don't know whether Jacobs will help us...even if, he will be a replacement for Gore. Hunter and James are another type of RB, imo you cant compare Gore/Jacobs with Hunter/James.
Who knows, perhaps we start playing with 2TE/3RB-packages.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LaMichael is way more surprising. We already have Hunter. The 49ers must love tiny RB's. Not sure what it says about the confidence they have in Gore either. They are looking out longer term which is good. I'm just surprised they want to go so small. But James is fast and quick so maybe he can be our Sproles. Which would help us.

Gore really wasn't that good last year. I don't think the team has as much confidence in him as some of our fan base does.

Did a nice job blocking mostly, horrible receiving and left a lot of yards on the field running without creating many on his own.

If we had taken a RB in the first I don't think I would have been very surprised (except that the value for RB's usually isn't in the first round).
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Apr 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone