There are 272 users in the forums

More Surprising: A.J. or LaMichael?

It was Jenkins for me because I was expecting them to take Fleener in the first and predicting a RB in the second. I was thinking Lamar Miller though...I'm not at all shocked that Harbaalke defied the draft gurus with a so-called "reach" while still addressing the pass game, but I did feel that Harbaugh liked Fleener enough to convince Baalke to make Fleener the pick. What do you guys think?
I was more surprised we took a RB in the second.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

this

i was expecting G or DE
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cwilson830:

this

i was expecting G or DE
Same here, I thought since we liked the value we got with hunter in the 3rd last year we might go for another rb around there. Niners are obviously more comfortable with kilgore than we expected.
I was shocked that we picked a running back in the second. But what added to my shock, was who we picked. Now, when I say shocked, it doesn't mean that I was disappointed. I am excited about both picks.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I didn't expect fleener. I had been saying the whole time that if they do go TE it won't be fleener because Harbaugh has too much fear that he's overvaluing his old stanford players. The reason we haven't drafted any. TE also isn't a need at all, we're quite happy with delanie and having Byham return from injury.
[ Edited by mike on Apr 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM ]
I was more shocked with the A.J. Jenkins pick, only because he hadn't been spoken of once by anyone as the pick the Niners would take, or anyone in the first round for that matter. I had also never heard of him, but I had heard of LaMichael James.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM ]
Lamichael James are future>>> Is this big enough? I'm not sure.... So stoked about this pick
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
luxury picks all day, err day.
LaMichael is way more surprising. We already have Hunter. The 49ers must love tiny RB's. Not sure what it says about the confidence they have in Gore either. They are looking out longer term which is good. I'm just surprised they want to go so small. But James is fast and quick so maybe he can be our Sproles. Which would help us.

NO ONE had us taking Jenkins.
Jenkins by far. Once he picked Jenkins, I knew to expect the unexpected. I already felt that way going into the draft after the Aldon pick, but Harbaugh and Baalke took it to a whole new level this year. I wont even bother reading Niner mocks next year....LOL
Originally posted by NickSh49:
NO ONE had us taking Jenkins.

^
I think Fleener was a strange idea in the first place... We have three young capable TE's D. Walker could start on 10-15 teams. We need people to stretch the zone open up the 10-15 yard range and get a long shot a couple times a game. Think with Moss/ Jenkins (they guarantee this for a long time with both) and Ginn before them... Harbunny is known to run almost a constant 9 or deep out route in almost every formation... We had no real receiver threat to do that. Crab rarely gets deep separation and seems to really do best in tight situations where he can use his body to stay between him and the defender. In the Playoffs they ran Davis on that route and found great success. But it's not going to work for Davis to be that guy all the time... We need a receiver to run it and Davis to only on occasion to do it. I am super excited for Jenkins/Moss combo and would of been much more surprised if they had picked Fleener personally.
I was surprised but happy with the James pick. The Jenkins pick didn't really shock me, just said we had him higher than Hill, Randle and the others. Really happy with this draft. 2 big time speed guys, 2 guards to complete, depth at OLB, DE, S. 2 guys in Jenkins/James that can return kicks/punts. This draft as well as picking up extra picks for next year (especially the 3rd rounder) really helps us when some vets clear out next off season
Share 49ersWebzone