There are 363 users in the forums

Day 3 - Draft General Discussion

I will be spotty today in visiting the board. Here are my thoughts so far (I will elaborate further after the draft concludes):
1. In my draft, seeing DeCastro fall to number 22, I pushed from that point forward (picks 22 and 23) to use a third rounder this year, or similar compensation, to make that move forward. So, if I was running the team, and there was a trade partner, first round David DeCastro. He was the highest graded player on my board.

2. According to my draft board, the top player available in the second round was Mohamed Sanu.

3. Third Round given up for the DeCastro pick.

However, let's play out the "there was no trade partner" scenario:
1. Peter Konz- highest on my board
2. Mohamed Sanu- highest at 61
3. Brandon Thompson-highest at 92.
I would not have traded down from 92, but stuck with Thompson, since he was by far the best player remaining on my board.

The best players on my board right now. One of these guys would be the selection if the Niners stay their high fourth rounder.
Brandon Boykin
Alameda Ta'Amu

Overall, this appears to be a clunker draft for the team right now. I don't see the impact from these two players so far.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
We need another corner, Cox and Brock meh
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
They're all totally lost... or just straight retarded.

We overcame the 3rd downs with +28 turnover differential and record breaking field goals. Lulz.

It didn't hurt that we played a comparatively weak schedule and lucked out incredibly in a couple of games, pulling victory from the jaws of defeat.

Eh, our schedule was deceptive. We killed teams... when we played them, they'd go on big losing streaks.

You're right about the late game heroics, though. Can't count on that every year, either.

Was still an impressive season.
Clunker? Your scenario would have landed us Sanu instead of Jenkins at arguably our biggest need. Jenkins will be the better player.
Originally posted by jimrat:
We need another corner, Cox and Brock meh

I was in favor of potentially getting Janoris in the 1st or 2nd, but after passing in the first three rounds, do you really think there are CB prospects left who can crack our top 5?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Haha, clunker.

If Baalke and Harbaugh think Kilgore can start, then this team has zero needs. Which means this entire draft is for depth and luxury.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Haven't Sanu and Konz already been drafted?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
^^ if we get another WR who do we say ye too

ginn manningham jenkins and crabs are all locks

i say we have room for 1 more maybe

That's why we should only take one if it's Streeter. He's way different than the others.

Crabtree and Moss will be our starters. Manningham will be the "3rd" guy along with Jenkins. Why not let Ginn and Williams battle it out with some undrafted players? Its impossible to dismiss the NFC Championship game but KW showed some skills last season.

Baalke: "Can you believe some of those guys on the WZ still doubt our drafting techniques? lol"
Harbaugh: "lol"
[ Edited by sf49ersx11 on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM ]
MD, Konz and Sanu wouldn't be worth the picks at 30 and 61 based on where they went.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I will be spotty today in visiting the board. Here are my thoughts so far (I will elaborate further after the draft concludes):
1. In my draft, seeing DeCastro fall to number 22, I pushed from that point forward (picks 22 and 23) to use a third rounder this year, or similar compensation, to make that move forward. So, if I was running the team, and there was a trade partner, first round David DeCastro. He was the highest graded player on my board.

2. According to my draft board, the top player available in the second round was Mohamed Sanu.

I would not have traded down from 92, but stuck with Thompson, since he was by far the best player remaining on my board.

The best players on my board right now. One of these guys would be the selection if the Niners stay their high fourth rounder.
Brandon Boykin
Alameda Ta'Amu

Overall, this appears to be a clunker draft for the team right now. I don't see the impact from these two players so far.

Well, we know how your initial analysis turned out last season.

That said:

1. I was right there with you hoping for DeCastro. I trust Harbaalke's decision, though. If anybody knows DeCastro's value, it's Harbaugh, Roman, and Drevno. Konz fell like a rock, so it looks like you may have overrated him.

2. I like the kid, but he's just not what we need right now, IMO. Give Jenkins a chance before you write him off this season. Learn from last year.

3. Gotta wait to see who we pick today before you can complain about this pick.

• RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Brandon Boykin
Alameda Ta'Amu

Konz fell to the end of the 2nd and Sanu fell to the end of the 3rd. The whole process is so bizarre because if we took Konz at 30, the press would be happy because we took someone they evaluated to be worth the pick. But then again, the rest of the league seemed to not value him as highly. Same with Sanu (he's the only guy of your grouping who I think adds no value to the 49ers. Another bigger, slower WR who can't get separation doesn't help.)

Anyway, I agree with the methodology of giving Alex Smith weapons and trying to find ways to make this team faster, I just never thought Harbaugh would do it. I think Harbaugh is looking to go all Sean Payton and he wants to have a number of toys to work with.

Continuing to make the team bigger would only yield minimal results especially when there are only a handful of holes to fill.

The mainstream media's analysis that the team has too many RBs just feels superficial. Anyone who watched the team regularly knew the running game struggled towards the end of the season and Gore in particular was not the same at the end.
The hilarious thing about this draft is that in both rounds there have been players I HOPED AND PRAYED kept falling; DeCastro in the first and Konz in the second. Keep falling, keep falling, I thought. Turns out the 49ers didn't give two sh!ts about those guys, haha.
I had a dream that we picked up a safety with our first 4th, then picked up Ta'Amu with our second 4th.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I had a dream that we picked up a safety with our first 4th, then picked up Ta'Amu with our second 4th.

Sounds more like a nightmare.
I can already tell the coverage of this draft is going to be so annoying. I don't care about Trent Richardson's two daughters or Robert Griffin's socks. This is the draft, it isn't f**king Lifetime.
Share 49ersWebzone