I will be spotty today in visiting the board. Here are my thoughts so far (I will elaborate further after the draft concludes):
1. In my draft, seeing DeCastro fall to number 22, I pushed from that point forward (picks 22 and 23) to use a third rounder this year, or similar compensation, to make that move forward. So, if I was running the team, and there was a trade partner, first round David DeCastro. He was the highest graded player on my board.
2. According to my draft board, the top player available in the second round was Mohamed Sanu.
3. Third Round given up for the DeCastro pick.
However, let's play out the "there was no trade partner" scenario:
1. Peter Konz- highest on my board
2. Mohamed Sanu- highest at 61
3. Brandon Thompson-highest at 92.
I would not have traded down from 92, but stuck with Thompson, since he was by far the best player remaining on my board.
The best players on my board right now. One of these guys would be the selection if the Niners stay their high fourth rounder.
Overall, this appears to be a clunker draft for the team right now. I don't see the impact from these two players so far.