LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 421 users in the forums

Day 3 - Draft General Discussion

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Not much point in me speculating, because Baalke and Harbaugh are reading out of a different book. I also thot JJ was brot on as a 4th QB because we were going to trade either Kap or Tolz to move up. Well, that didn't happen. But, maybe after draft, someone has contacted Coach about either Tolz or Kap, and wants to make a post draft trade. They got JJ for something, and it wasn't to be the 4th QB. So why do we have him? I am still betting post draft trade, but it better be damn good to get Tolz or kap...and i can't see Tolz going anywhere.

JJ was brought in so that the Niners will have 3 capable QBs on the roster who can all play, and where someone can step in if the starter goes down for a few weeks or has to go on IR. That way there'll still be a good QB available if the *next* starter goes down. Not unheard of in this game. CK and ST have no real trade value, and my guess is the latter goes on the practice squad unless he shows he can play to Harbaugh's game plan better than one of the others.

BTW, Maiocco wrote a column that says that there's no competition at QB except for backup positioning, but I hope Alex doesn't believe that. Given the two players selected already in the draft, I have to think the QB who shows the best capacity for getting the ball to those guys at the right moments (i.e., where YAC is maximized) will have a leg up in the competition overall. AJJ must have been frustrated stopping his route and waiting in space for his QB at Illinois to flutter the ball to him. If CK or even JJ shows that he can throw them open and get the ball to AJJ and LaMichael in stride so they can use their speed, and the incumbent cannot, there could be a shake-up at the top of the QB pecking order early in the season. The schedule is going to be much tougher than last year's, and given some of the explosive teams the Niners will face, if they cannot score lots of points and keep the defense off the field, it's going to be a long, long season.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Not much point in me speculating, because Baalke and Harbaugh are reading out of a different book. I also thot JJ was brot on as a 4th QB because we were going to trade either Kap or Tolz to move up. Well, that didn't happen. But, maybe after draft, someone has contacted Coach about either Tolz or Kap, and wants to make a post draft trade. They got JJ for something, and it wasn't to be the 4th QB. So why do we have him? I am still betting post draft trade, but it better be damn good to get Tolz or kap...and i can't see Tolz going anywhere.

Kap isnt going anywhere. Tolz will probably be p.s.

no way he goes unclaimed, especially because SD will snap him back up, right now they only have their own reclaimed trash in Charlie Whitehurst backing up Rivers. They'd love to get another chance with Tolzien. In the event he lost the TC battle we'd have to roll the dice and see if we could put him on the PS, very unlikely he'd make it there.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Alameda Ta'amu !!!!
Originally posted by sfout:
no way he goes unclaimed, especially because SD will snap him back up, right now they only have their own reclaimed trash in Charlie Whitehurst backing up Rivers. They'd love to get another chance with Tolzien. In the event he lost the TC battle we'd have to roll the dice and see if we could put him on the PS, very unlikely he'd make it there.

Unless Tolzien convincingly beats out someone in TC and preseason, he'll go to the PS. If he gets claimed, so be it. In that event, the Niners would probably pick up a rookie castoff or UDFA and install him there.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
DL Malik Jackson (6'5/290), Tennessee

How does he compare to Crick?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by sfout:

Unless Tolzien convincingly beats out someone in TC and preseason, he'll go to the PS. If he gets claimed, so be it. In that event, the Niners would probably pick up a rookie castoff or UDFA and install him there.

thats my point, it doesn't really matter what happens to our #3 / #4 QB - I'm actually hoping we sign Darron Thomas as a UDFA and throw him the PS.
I'm excited about going second today! Think we'll go with the Huskies NT?
  • RKab
  • Veteran
I'll gonna kill a kitten every time they replay that damn crying women verizon commercial. dammit.
Originally posted by RKab:
I'll gonna kill a kitten every time they replay that damn crying women verizon commercial. dammit.

So annoying.
Tommy Streeter is a freak. We need to get Ta'Amu and Streeter in this round. Or Crick and Streeter.

We need a backup safety. Maybe in the 5th or 6th.
I just don't see Tolz or Kap ending up on PS, where either would almost certainly be taken. If anyone goes PS it is JJ. But then the same question, why did we get him? I know for sure, B&H don't make moves on whims. This one i just fail to get.

On another note, after watching virtually both days of draft, both channels, NOT ONE of them got what Coach and baalke were doing: ie, fixing the 3rd down problem, our one huge failing. How we got to NFC title game wth no 3rd down capability is just frankly mind boggling. Surprising not one of the commentators picked up on what Coach and GM were doing.No one said, "well, the 49ers just fixed their one weakness....3rd down and short." Not one. In other words, all the stuff those guys said, and not one realized what Coach and baalke had done.

This!!!!!!!!!!! damm it i'm switching to at&t
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

No s**t, huh? f**king obnoxious!

Here, THIS might help.
man how long till the thing gets goin?
Share 49ersWebzone