LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Day 2-Draft General Discussion

I want to stay at 61 and add a solid player, likely a OG, maybe Silatolu or Kelechi Osemele. If we trade up it's likely for Glenn or Konz.

For Round 3, I would look at a OLB or DL.

My perfect scenario, which isn't likely, is to get 2 of the following DL prospects.

Washington NT Alameda Ta'amu
Alabama NT Josh Chapman
UConn DE Kendall Reyes
Cincinnati DE Derek Wolfe

If we could somehow add a 3rd day 2 player it would be perfect, add a DL, OG and CB or S.

Possible picks would be for each position.

C Peter Konz
OG Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele and Amini Silatolu
DE Kendall Reyes and Derek Wolfe
NT Alameda Ta'amu and Josh Chapman
CB Jamel Fleming, Casey Hayward, Josh Norman and Dwight Bentley
S Markelle Martin and George Iloka

I really like Montana CB Trumaine Johnson, but I doubt he falls to us or in range. I wouldn't be mad if we dealt our 2013 2nd rounder if we see a quality player drop into round 3.
Looking at MaDog's big board and the "internet consensus" first round caliber players, I feel confident that one of the following players will fall to our 2nd pick, especially given how many teams pull head scratcher picks in the mid-to-late 2nd by targeting scheme fits. With each player not projected as a 2nd round pick on most boards, one of these players gets that much closer to us.

Judging by past drafts my guess is there will be atleast 5-10 players not projected as 2nd rounders to get selected as well as 5-10 players that may be considered 2nd round talent but are taken over the "internet consensus" BPA. This list is 14 deep, so if there are 16 selections that aren't one of the below, we will have a shot at one of these guys. My best guess is that Mike Adams will be the clear cut faller, with a chance of Jonathan Martin and Amini Silatolu as well. The WR's will all go, with other's likely to follow (Alshon Jeffery, Brian Quick, a surpise Greg Childs or Jarius Wright selection, etc.).

If one of these players does fall and we pull the trigger, it will totally make up for the AJ Jenkins reach:

16 Cordy Glenn Georgia OT/OG
21 Stephen Hill Georgia Tech WR
22 Coby Fleener Stanford TE
24 Bobbie Massey Mississippi OT
28 Andre Branch Clemson DE/OLB
29 Peter Konz Wisconsin C
30 Amini Silatolu Midwestern St G
32 Reuben Randle LSU WR
33 Janoris Jenkins North Alabama CB
35 Jonathan Martin Stanford OT
36 Courtney Upshaw Alabama DE/OLB
39 Jerel Worthy Michigan St DT
40 Devon Still Penn State DT
41 Kendall Reyes Connecticut DT
42 Mike Adams Ohio State OT
I think they are pretty sure that they have the starting RG on the team now. I say this because RG was the only position where a highround pick could start right away. I'm loving it because we can take whoever we want and not get jumped for the pick.
Wonder if the Mods can create two threads for the general discussion, one for new generation twitter fans, who tip off the pick in advance, and one for the old schoolers, who want to hear the pick first from the podium. I see the merit of both the old and new school thinking.

Little bit of angst yesterday from those uphappy the picks were being tipped off almost five minutes before the commish made the call.
Originally posted by cools:
Makes too much sence that Supolu will be announcing Silatolu
I agree but I think we would have to trade.

Just sticking with the draft tracker and who we brought in for a visit, Silatolu fits the bill. We seem to draft a high percentage of people we bring in. Just to be crazy and throw it out there, I thinking we might hear Pead or Turbin today. Or another wr like Hill, Randle or Quick would really throw the webzone into a frenzy.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Any solid rumors of one of the other teams being specifically interested in getting Silatolu in the second round?

I think that if he's fairly certain to be around for our slot and there's no need to trade up, we would have had a fairly good early part of the draft, picking up 2 players to fill needed positions who could contribute fairly early in the season. The rest of the draft could focus more on BPA/future potential.

The Rams worked him out and supposedly like him.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think they are pretty sure that they have the starting RG on the team now. I say this because RG was the only position where a highround pick could start right away. I'm loving it because we can take whoever we want and not get jumped for the pick.

I agree. I think they are high on Kilgore and will bring in a vet (like Leonard Davis when he gets healthy) to compete with him.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wonder if the Mods can create two threads for the general discussion, one for new generation twitter fans, who tip off the pick in advance, and one for the old schoolers, who want to hear the pick first from the podium. I see the merit of both the old and new school thinking.

Little bit of angst yesterday from those uphappy the picks were being tipped off almost five minutes before the commish made the call.
Agree

Agree

I was pissed Maiocco was tweeting the picks before announced, I refuse to look on his twitter account tonight and tomorrow.
I want lamichael james

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Agree

I was pissed Maiocco was tweeting the picks before announced, I refuse to look on his twitter account tonight and tomorrow.

That wasnt Maiocco and their fault, for some reason the the TV feed was behind
My boss (rams fan) was just in my office blowing about a rumor of a big day 2 draft trade involving St Louis, Pittsburgh, and Mike Wallace. No way that happens. I argued against it. I dont know where he got this information and wondered if anyone else heard anything about this. The only logical conclusion I could come up with, is that he's delusional from such a shi**y first round that he's making this up to feel better about it. He was all in on them taking Blackmon of course so he must be butt hurt.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
My boss (rams fan) was just in my office blowing about a rumor of a big day 2 draft trade involving St Louis, Pittsburgh, and Mike Wallace. No way that happens. I argued against it. I dont know where he got this information and wondered if anyone else heard anything about this. The only logical conclusion I could come up with, is that he's delusional from such a shi**y first round that he's making this up to feel better about it. He was all in on them taking Blackmon of course so he must be butt hurt.

probably read this
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111359-2012-nfl-draft-st-louis-rams-should-trade-for-mike-wallace
Originally posted by valrod33:
probably read this
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111359-2012-nfl-draft-st-louis-rams-should-trade-for-mike-wallace

I knew it! bleacher report.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Agree

That wasnt Maiocco and their fault, for some reason the the TV feed was behind

damn, I wonder why the feed is behind then.
Share 49ersWebzone