LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Draft General Discussion

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Polished route runner, good hands, descent speed, not very big....I know he's not the same guy, but it sure does sound like.......

Of course that guy was 6' 2" and weighed about 200 pounds....

Do not even tease me bro...

Now i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

Btw, 6'2" 192 as a rookie

You know, why not get excited?
Originally posted by sean610:
Ive been beating the AJ Jenkins drum for a while on here. Hes gonna be a star measurables compare to Greg Jennings. Had the best height weight speed quickness explosiveness hands measurables of any WR in this draft. Was better than K. Wright in every measurable plus hes taller love this pick. Folks that had him rated at the end of the 2nd and even 3rd were dreaming. Not hard to see the picks Baalke favors he puts alot of stock in the most important but too often under estimated 3 cone drill. Gonna go out on a limb if he goes d line in the second and Derek Wolfe is on the board he will be the pick!

Wolfe would be a great addition. Jenkins pick shocked me, but in Baalke we trust.
Ive been beating the AJ Jenkins drum for a while on here. Hes gonna be a star measurables compare to Greg Jennings. Had the best height weight speed quickness explosiveness hands measurables of any WR in this draft. Was better than K. Wright in every measurable plus hes taller love this pick. Folks that had him rated at the end of the 2nd and even 3rd were dreaming. Not hard to see the picks Baalke favors he puts alot of stock in the most important but too often under estimated 3 cone drill. Gonna go out on a limb if he goes d line in the second and Derek Wolfe is on the board he will be the pick!

I really want to see Wolfe picked up too.

Also would love a guard. Any thoughts on why Cordy Glenn dropped to the second?
We should trade up for the CB from Montana in the 2nd
Alameda Ta'amu. Groom him behind Sopoaga
Jim Harbaugh: GM Trent Baalke wrote "AJ Jenkins" and put it in envelope last night. He was guy 49ers targeted in that spot.
You have to wonder whether the Niners' choice of a speed receiver is a signal that we should expect to see a stronger-armed quarterback flinging the ball next season...
Originally posted by I-U-Porta-Poties:

I really want to see Wolfe picked up too.

Also would love a guard. Any thoughts on why Cordy Glenn dropped to the second?

Bad feet. Terrible 3 cone time, broad jump, and vertical one the worst in the combine this year in all of those categories. The fact that hes 345 and ran a good 40 wont help him.

Also one of the reasons I have my doubts that A davis will ever be that good of a RT his 3 cone time is pretty bad also
[ Edited by sean610 on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM ]
Who do you guys see us taking in the 2nd round?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
You have to wonder whether the Niners' choice of a speed receiver is a signal that we should expect to see a stronger-armed quarterback flinging the ball next season...

yup

all comes down to how much Kaep challenges #11

Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by captveg:
LOL Grant Cohn just had his childhood dreams crushed and is handling it like a toddler.

Grant Cohn is a mental midget.

this
After these last 3 drafts with the war room streaming, every time I've wished I was recording it so I could point back to moments that happened. I think I'll have to do so next year and grab a few gifs from it.

The one I wanted to comment on was after the whole room intently watching the announcement of the pick, Mayock's breakdown, and the ensuing discussion, was them sorta laughing, at least smiling with a look like they knew the analysts would be surprised by the pick. They made a couple comments back and forth.

Then Baalke said 'Mayock doesn't know (something or other),' and a few seconds later Harbaugh clearly said "Well, let's prove'em wrong, huh," <put his hand up for a fist bump> "Let's prove'em wrong." And Baalke bumped his fist.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
from what I've read he could turn out to be a real sleeper. I like the pick in the same way I warmed up to drafting Aldon last year, and I'm warming up to Jenkins a lot quicker based on Baalke's record.

I'm so f'n happy we didnt draft Hill..Baalke is known as a scout's scout, he drafted a vertical threat who has PROVEN himself as such on the field instead of simply having great measurables. The guy was damn productive considering the offense he was in.

Jenkins seems real smooth and quite polished as a route runner, just seems to be a football player. He gives Harbaugh great flexibility, given his ability to work every part of the field--not just deep.

if you think about it, this pick is very similar in philosophy to Aldon and Culliver last year. I'm not overjoyed because i wanted Janoris Jenkins, but this Jenkins pick appeases me.

He needs to gain strength, so this was a luxury pick given that he'll probably not have a huge role this year.

Sleepers don't get overdrafted, Just FYI

yeah, sleeper wasn't the right word (sry its been a long day)..what I meant was he could be a surprise--I wouldn't go so far as saying a steal right now, since I honestly had never heard of him before the draft. Perceived to be "overdrafted" at the time, but actually just a solid assessment of talent from an expert..much like Aldon and to a certain extent Culliver (CC, like Jenkins, was becoming very popular in league circles in the weeks leading up to the draft.

to me the glass is half full right now since we have Exec of the Year making the call.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM ]
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

yup

all comes down to how much Kaep challenges #11

I don't see it that way. I don't really think of Jenkins as a speedy deep threat receiver, although he may be capable of it. I think it's that he has a strong release off the line, quickness, runs good routes, and has good hands. They felt he was the best fit for the WCO, despite possibly lacking in YAC. I think they wanted a guy where they feel they can rely on him to run the route called, do it precisely, shake coverage, and catch the ball, even if he doesn't gain yardage from where it was designed.

I think it was a fairly conservative, but probably smart, WR selection.
#1 WR Alshon Jeffrey... CHAMPIONSHIP

Share 49ersWebzone