There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bruce Irvin first round promise?

http://ebonybird.com/2012/04/26/bruce-irvin-in-the-first-round/

A friend told me, in addition to this blog post, there was someone on some radio show saying he heard it was the 49ers. I'm trying to get better information.
Don't see it, where would he play? We just signed Brooks to mega-bucks and Aldon Smith is on the other side. 5 linebacker defense?
Wouldn't mind this at all. I really like Irvin and think he can be very effective as a pass rusher. We have other needs, so I would prefer someone else, but wouldn't be mad in the least if he is the pick. Nobody should ever complain about having too many pass rushers
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Don't see it, where would he play? We just signed Brooks to mega-bucks and Aldon Smith is on the other side. 5 linebacker defense?

100% this. I hope they dont go this route. They are set for OLB and DE for a few years. This would be a waste of a 1st rounder.

If you put it with Baalke's comments, it also fits. As for positioning, everyone has been saying this is a clear BPA draft for the 49ers for the first time in years. They might think he's a legit star pass rusher to rotate in with Brooks and Smith. Who knows?
How can a team picking #30 guarantee any player they'll choose him. You can't make that promise because someone could fall you never thought would be there. I don't think Baalke and company would make that promise.
@ 30

Do not want
If the Niners traded down to middle of the 2nd round and picked up picks I would be OK with drafting Irvin. If they take him at #30 I will not be happy.
If they do pick him, where/when does he play? 3rd down in Brooks' spot? Come in and spell Aldon or Brooks at random? It just seems like someone who wouldn't play much.
I tend to agree. It would be a somewhat puzzling pick especially at 30. I would have to throw my hands up and say "they must REALLY see something in this guy" and hope for the best.
If they do pick him, where/when does he play? 3rd down in Brooks' spot? Come in and spell Aldon or Brooks at random? It just seems like someone who wouldn't play much.

Probably nickel situations opposite aldon.
........bowman, willis
Smith, ray ng, smith, irvin

You could even put brooks in at OLB and give a 4-3 look, or a 2-6 look if you want.
Hes the guy I really want in the second round but Id be fine with him in the first. Imagine on obvious passing downs...
DE: Aldon, Irvin
DT: Justin, RayMac
LB: Willis, Bowman, Brooks
Not saying he wouldn't be our pick since I could see Baalke envisioning that if Irvin panned out to be a great pass rusher our pass rush would be devastating with the Smiths coming from one side and Irvin and Ray Mac coming from the other.

But I don't buy the report. My guess it's Irvin's side of things trying to drum up interest by "leaking" that a team is going to take him the 1st round in order to get a team to trade up for him.

Baalke doesn't strike me as a guy that would make those kind of promises and why would you make that promise at 30 anyways? What if someone really good slides down? Are you not going to take him or try to trade up for him because you promised someone else you would take him? Doesn't make any sense for any team to promise a player anything.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Not saying he wouldn't be our pick since I could see Baalke envisioning that if Irvin panned out to be a great pass rusher our pass rush would be devastating with the Smiths coming from one side and Irvin and Ray Mac coming from the other.

But I don't buy the report. My guess it's Irvin's side of things trying to drum up interest by "leaking" that a team is going to take him the 1st round in order to get a team to trade up for him.

Baalke doesn't strike me as a guy that would make those kind of promises and why would you make that promise at 30 anyways? What if someone really good slides down? Are you not going to take him or try to trade up for him because you promised someone else you would take him? Doesn't make any sense for any team to promise a player anything.

Good point. I would hope they wouldn't make that kind of commitment.
I just don't see the Niners making any promise to any player, especially given how secret Harbaugh and co. prefer things. Sounds like a typical smokescreen.