LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Final, Sealed and Delivered Complete 2-round mock draft

We land DL Jerel Worthy at #30 and steal WR Reuben Randle at #61 -- he's only at #63 on Mike Mayock's big board.

1 Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

2 Washington Redskins (from St. Louis Rams) - RGIII

3 Minnesota Vikings – Matt Kalil, OT, USC

4 Cleveland Browns – Trent Richardson – Richardson is clearly the third best player in this draft, and clearly the best non-QB in the draft – Bill Polian was talking about this on ESPN today. Furthermore, there is a lot more value at WR later in the draft than RB.

5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU – Best player available, the defense is getting very old.

6 Rams (from Redskins) – Fletcher Cox, DT, Miss State – The Rams management team has stated repeatedly that they believe they can find quality WRs and OTs later in the draft. However, what they cannot find are elite Defensive lineman. Cox visited the Rams last week

7 Jacksonville Jaguars – Justin Blackmon, WR, OK State – The Jaguars still need a receiver, and will not hesitate when Blackmon falls to them.

8 Miami Dolphins – Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M – The Dolphins get their guy.

9 Carolina Panthers – Mark Barron, S, Alabama – The Panthers are awful against the pass and even worse somehow against the run. A beast Strong Safety like Mark Barron makes them instantly better in both phases of the game. Barron plays the run like a linebacker – excellent pick

10 Buffalo Bills – Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College – Makes the Bills a lot better in the middle against the Patriots two tight ends – with a solid ILB like Leuchly, Buffalo can stay in Cover 2 against a team like New England and Kuechly is a solid LB in all phases of the game

11 Kansas City Chiefs – David DeCastro, OG, Stanford – huge need, probably BPA.

12 Seattle Seahawks – Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina – Pass-rusher is a major need. Better pure 4-3 DE than Melvin Ingram

13 Arizona Cardinals – Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina – ARI needs a pass-rusher in a big way.

14 Dallas Cowboys – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - #1 need is in the secondary, best CB available. Might play Safety as a rookie – who knows.

15 Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU – Interior DT and ILB are the biggest needs – its easier for them to find an ILB later in the draft.

16 New York Jets – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame – Best Player available makes Mark Sanchez a lot better. A steal for New York

17 Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders) – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis – big DT for Cincy.

18 San Diego Chargers – Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois – They need a pass-rusher, and Mercilus has the highest upside (and greatest risk).

19 Chicago Bears – Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa – nice spot for a solid OT to go. Big need, BPA.

20 Tennessee Titans – Andre Branch, DE/OLB Clemson – they wanted Mario Williams in FA, they draft a Pass-rusher at #20.

21 Bengals – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama – big need, BPA

22 Browns (from Atlanta Falcons) – Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech – They draft a high upside WR for McCoy – will be mature for Barkley in 2013.

23 Detroit Lions – Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia – clearly the best player available and it fills a need.

24 Pittsburgh Steelers - Donta Hightower, ILB, Alabama –major need, replaces Farrior.

25 Denver Broncos – Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama – John Fox wants to go to the "Four Defensive Ends/Pass-Rushers" concept like the NY Giants have, and Upshaw gives them that. Ayers gets kicked into the inside at Right DT, Upshaw becomes Left Defensive End – Miller stays at 'elephant' at OLB. Welcome to the Mile-High Sack Club.

26 Houston Texans – Chandler Jones, DE/OLB, Syracuse – pass-rush need

27 New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints) – DE/OLB Shea McLellin, DE/OLB

28 Green Bay Packers – Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame – Suddenly, an emerging need

29 Baltimore Ravens – Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin – BPA need-filler.

30 San Francisco 49ers – Jerel Worthy, DT, Mich State – Not the #1 need by far, but we don't have any depth across the defensive line and Worthy is clearly – clearly – the best player available. Worthy has the size and strength to start at the 5-tech 3-4 End position as a rookie, and may end up putting on bulk and moving full-time to NT. The flexibility at the position makes him the perfect fit for the BPA 49ers.

31 Patriots – Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC – make it a double!

32 New York Giants - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford – by far the BPA, also a major need.

1 (33) Rams – Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor – The Rams Clownshow continues by taking the most overrated WR in the NFL draft.

2 (34) Colts – Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford – Luck-to-Fleener continues…

3 (35) Vikings – Janoris Jenkins, CB, N Alabama – The Vikings take Felonious J.

4 (36) Buccaneers – Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin – Big need for interior OL, BPA.

5 (37) Browns – Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina – A second receiver to be paired with Hill. McCoy cannot fail.

6 (38) Jaguars – Bobbie Massie, OT Ole Miss – big need at OT. BPA.

7 (39) Rams (Redskins) – Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State – Guard was a huge problem last year.

8 (40) Panthers – Kendall Reyes, DT, UCONN – major need that they passed on in Rd 1.

9 (41) Bills – Mitchell Schwartz, Cal – need at OT with Bell gone

10 (42) Dolphins – Lavonte David, DE/OLB, Nebraska – explosive pass-rusher for the Fins

11 (43) Seahawks – Josh Robinson, CB, UCF – BPA, every team could always use another CB

12 (44) Chiefs – Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State – the guy is moving up the draft boards very quickly, and he can be a nice weapon for McCoy.

13 (45) Cowboys – Devon Still, DL, Penn State – big need on the Defensive Line – they thought about drafting JJ Watt Last year.

14 (46) Eagles – Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana – BPA. No ILBs at #46.

15 (47) Jets – Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington – BPA, big need at NT, big man.

16 (48) Patriots (from Oakland Raiders) – Doug Martin, RB, Boise State – BPA, you could always use another RB.

17 (49) Chargers – David Wilson, RB, Va Tech – Nice RB to pair with Blount.

18 (50) Bears – Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson – Martz gutted the TE corps – time to rebuild it.

19 (51) Eagles (from Cardinals) – Jeff Allen, OT, Illinois – need.

20 (52) Titans – Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson – Need.

21 (53) Bengals – Lamar Miller, RB, Miami – Paired with Benson and BGE, they'll have a very nice running game.

22 (54) Lions – C Ben Jones, Georgia – Raola sucks.

23 (55) Falcons – DE Vinny Curry, Marshall - BPA

24 (56) Steelers – CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska – fills a need, one of the top players on board

25 (57) Broncos – Dwight Bentley, CB, La Lafayette – very old secondary.

26 (58) Texans – Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State – failed drug test gives the Texans a steal at #58

27 Saints (forfeited) – N/A

28 (59) Packers – LaMichael James, RB, Oregon – a weapon for the Pack

29 (60) Ravens – Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma – fills a need

30 (61) 49ers – Rueben Randle, WR, LSU. Poor vertical causes him to drop about 20 spots – not too far out of place with Mike Mayock having Randle at #63 on his big board. Simply the best player available. Everyone else available is really a reach at this point. Will fight for #3 spot as a rookie, will have a lock on #2 or #3 in 2013 with Moss gone. He's a fighter – catches everything and battles for yards to move the chains. Physical receiver with lots of upside. Would be a much higher pick if he had a better vertical.

31 (62) Patriots – Mike Martin, DE, Michigan – Need a 5-technique

32 (63) Giants – Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple – need a RB with Jacobs gone

I appreciate the effort, and could live with it, but I would be disappointed. Worthy is a good DL, but we don't need to be passing up on Fleener and Jeffery for a DL. Randle is excellent value in rd 2. I'd be okay... but again.. disappointed.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I appreciate the effort, and could live with it, but I would be disappointed. Worthy is a good DL, but we don't need to be passing up on Fleener and Jeffery for a DL. Randle is excellent value in rd 2. I'd be okay... but again.. disappointed.

I stewed over this one. When 30 came around, Worthy is there as the Best Player Available by far. He might by the only guy -- along with Fletcher Cox, who can play any position on a 3-4 defensive line (LDE, RDE, NT) -- and start. Most likely, he doesn't make it past Pittsburgh, but if he falls he's the steal.

On Randle, how can you be disappointed with him at #61?
Not a fan of Worthy at 30. We can find d-line depth later in the rounds... but I want value we can utilize from Day 1 in the 1st round (AKA RG, WR, Fleener)

Martin falls to 32! Wow!

I also think Minnesota derps and takes Caliborne @ #3
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Not a fan of Worthy at 30. We can find d-line depth later in the rounds... but I want value we can utilize from Day 1 in the 1st round (AKA RG, WR, Fleener)

Martin falls to 32! Wow!

1. Worthy can START at any position on the D-Line, has the potential to be better than Macdonald or Soap, and Justin Smith is not going to play forever at the current level

2. Martin is falling on everyone's board

3. Everyone acknowledges that Claiborne is not better than Patrick Peterson from last year -- his teammate. so why would you take him at #3? Kalil anchors LT for a decade. But Minny is ran by morons now, so anything is possible.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I stewed over this one. When 30 came around, Worthy is there as the Best Player Available by far. He might by the only guy -- along with Fletcher Cox, who can play any position on a 3-4 defensive line (LDE, RDE, NT) -- and start. Most likely, he doesn't make it past Pittsburgh, but if he falls he's the steal.

On Randle, how can you be disappointed with him at #61?

Well, like I said... Randle's great value there, so no disappointment from that pick.
Well, like I said... Randle's great value there, so no disappointment from that pick.

Sorry - misread. Here is who was available at the pick the Niners could take instead -- who would you have taken?

Jerel Worthy, DT, Mich State
Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Janoris Jenkins, CB, N Alabama
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
Josh Robinson, CB, UCF

Sorry - misread. Here is who was available at the pick the Niners could take instead -- who would you have taken?

Jerel Worthy, DT, Mich State
Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Janoris Jenkins, CB, N Alabama
Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
Josh Robinson, CB, UCF

I would have gone with the bolded ones... particularly the underlined bolded. I am one that has a whole lot of faith in our DL and depth DL though.
Jerel Worthy is a monster and I could live with this. In fact it would be pretty sweet. Like sticking with defense in round 1. I believe thats where the best value will be towards the end of the round anyway.

Anyone thinking Worthy would not be utilized day one is under valuing him as a player. I believe he gets in the rotation day one spelling everyone on the line. As someone else pointed out he can play any position on the D line. Love it! We have to make sure this defense remains dominant!

Martin falls to 32! Wow!

1. Worthy can START at any position on the D-Line, has the potential to be better than Macdonald or Soap, and Justin Smith is not going to play forever at the current level

2. Martin is falling on everyone's board

3. Everyone acknowledges that Claiborne is not better than Patrick Peterson from last year -- his teammate. so why would you take him at #3? Kalil anchors LT for a decade. But Minny is ran by morons now, so anything is possible.

I'm not knocking the pick, I just don't like the situation. I will trust any direction the FO goes - I just want offense with our first pick. It's our weakness and we need to address it.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM ]

NICK BRADLEY FOR PRES Y'ALL
I'm not knocking the pick, I just don't like the situation. I will trust any direction the FO goes - I just want offense with our first pick. It's our weakness and we need to address it.

I do not trust them if they take Wright.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Grant Cohn says Kendell Wright isn't even the best 5'10'' WR Wright in the Draft.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/04/inside-the-49ers/why-jarius-wright-is-better-than-kendall-wright-and-more/
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Anyone thinking Worthy would not be utilized day one is under valuing him as a player.

I think people are overlooking how much RJF contributes and how highly regarded he is by the coaches.
Share 49ersWebzone