LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Plain & Simple: Who will the Niners draft in the 1st rd?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lamontb:
just seen this could be smokescreen info

According to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin was told by a team in the bottom third of the draft order that he will be picked in the first round. Thesidelineview.com's Lance Zierlein hears the 49ers are the "promise team" for Irvin in the first. It's a bit of surprise that San Francisco would go defense early, but pass rushers carry as much value as any position save quarterback. Per ESPN 710 Seattle's Liz Mathews, the Seahawks have also been interested, though not in the first round after Irvin's March arrest for destruction of property.

Sounds like a BS rumor put out there by an agent.
i wonder if John would be a dick and take Jim's guy (whoever it is)

....i'd do it to my lil' bro.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

According to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin was told by a team in the bottom third of the draft order that he will be picked in the first round. Thesidelineview.com's Lance Zierlein hears the 49ers are the "promise team" for Irvin in the first. It's a bit of surprise that San Francisco would go defense early, but pass rushers carry as much value as any position save quarterback. Per ESPN 710 Seattle's Liz Mathews, the Seahawks have also been interested, though not in the first round after Irvin's March arrest for destruction of property.

Not saying this won't happen. But what is the upside to ANY team telling somebody they will take a guy before their pick is due? I just don't see what's in it for the Niners. Zero benefit. And what does the kid get out of it? 12 hours less of anxiety? Who cares.

Outside of the 1st overall pick, I don't see the benefit of telling anybody anything.
1.) Coby Fleener
2.) Kendall Wright
3.) Amini Silatolu
4.) Peter Konz **wild card**
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]
"NOBODY!!!"
if its not an offensive player I would be a bit surprised
I would like to see us trade up for DeCastro. I know it would cost some other picks & maybe 1 or 2 from next year but he knows Harbaugh's offense in & out. He is plug & play ready. Steps in as starting RG from day 1.

I don't know all the calculations as to what it would actually cost to move up. It'd be nice if we could find someone in that range that wants a move down partner & it might not cost as much.

If we don't trade up for DeCastro, hope we trade down a few spots & get Zeitler who is the next best G.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Not saying this won't happen. But what is the upside to ANY team telling somebody they will take a guy before their pick is due? I just don't see what's in it for the Niners. Zero benefit. And what does the kid get out of it? 12 hours less of anxiety? Who cares.

Outside of the 1st overall pick, I don't see the benefit of telling anybody anything.

exactly makes no sense for any team to promise a prospect that they will pick him
I'd be shocked if we drafted Irvin in the first after taking Aldon last year and re-signing Brooks. I know about Brooks' contract but still...

I think it comes down to Zeitler or Silatolu (Hill will be gone & I don't buy the Fleener stuff). I will go with Zeitler because I think they'll value putting someone steady between Davis and a young center (in the future) more than taking a high ceiling guy like Silatolu.
if decastro slips to the 20's, trade up for him! u know harbaugh wants him

Silatolu

Not saying its going to happen but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we went OL in round 1 and 2
I'm pulling for Zietler but at the end of the day I think it will be Silatolu because he has a higher ceiling. When I see film of Silatolu, he can EASILY pack on another 20 lbs onto his frame which he'll need to in a hurry. Simply put, we need to shore up the RG spot. It's been a glaring hole for too many years. We can grab a quality WR in the second or third round so sorry Stephen Hill fans, I'm just not feeling it.

Also think Fleener will be long gone before the Niners pick.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm pulling for Zietler but at the end of the day I think it will be Silatolu because he has a higher ceiling. When I see film of Silatolu, he can EASILY pack on another 20 lbs onto his frame which he'll need to in a hurry. Simply put, we need to shore up the RG spot. It's been a glaring hole for too many years. We can grab a quality WR in the second or third round so sorry Stephen Hill fans, I'm just not feeling it.

Also think Fleener will be long gone before the Niners pick.

I think he will be long gone as well, same with Hill and Wright sadly
I want it to be fleener.

I really think The supprise pick could be Alshon Jefferey.
On second thought, I think it's going to be Stephen Hill. They might even trade up for him just as they did with Anthony Davis.
Share 49ersWebzone