LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

I'm very happy with our "30 at 30" options, except for two players

Originally posted by nickbradley:

The first is Kendall Wright. He's a 5-10 slot receiver without elite speed. I have no idea what use he would be to the 49ers and his selection would cause me to question Baalke's competence. He would be a terrible, terrible choice. All of the other 4 options at #30 for TEs/WRs each have their own strengths and weaknesses that we can all make arguments for...I'd be fine with any of them.
This is the problem I have with your posting (bolded). You make some good points about Wright and Jenkins, but the fact that you would call Baalke incompetent if he made the selection of Kendall Wright has no basis. Baalke has proven to have an eye for talent. If Baalke selects Wright, then I have to think that he knows more than the fans do. Now, if after a couple of bad drafts and bad FA acquisitions you want to question his competence; then you would have merit.

As of right now, in Baalke/Harbaugh I trust. They have not given me any reason to question that they know what they are doing.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Wright and Jenkins are literally the two guys I want the most.

Wright's stock is dropping way too much based on his combine 40. First of all, 40s are overrated. Second of all he ran a 4.46 at his pro day. He has game speed and is a playmaker. He is the anti-Stephan Hill (and I hate Stephan Hill). It's on field production vs combine warrior. On field production wins out almost every time.

Jenkins is a top 10 talent that got busted for smoking weed. Yes, he is an idiot, but let's be honest, that is one of the lesser offenses to be an "off-field issue". The bigger problem is that he knew he was going to be tested and smoked anyway, but at least he didn't test positive at the combine. Because of our strong locker room, Jenkins could thrive as a 49er and become an elite corner.

These two players both have the ability to become elite players, which is rare when picking at 30. I wouldn't mind Fleener, but TE is probably already our second strongest position behind ILB. Getting an impact WR or CB would be huge for this team long term.

First on Wright - even if his 40 time wasn't weak -- which it is -- he does not have the size to play the Flanker position in the NFL...he is a "slot-only" prospect and should not go in the first round unless he has 4.3 speed or something like that. He completely fails to separate and most of his 'big plays' were on RGIII scrambles and coverage broke.

On Jenkins, its not just 'smoking weed' - he has multiple children by multiple women out of wedlock and has been arrested 4x, twice for pot (whatever) and twice for fighting.

I'd rather take burner Josh Robinson at #30.
On Wright: Steve Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Antonio Brown, Santonio Holmes, and Greg Jennings all have similar 40 time to size ratios and all play flanker. Greg Jennings had almost the exact same ratio. Also Victor Cruz and Wes Welker are extremely successful slot receivers. I wouldn't mind having one of them on my team. And where is this "fails to separate" coming from? Before his bad combine 40 the guy was almost a unanimous top 20 pick based on his separation skills.

As for Jenkins, he got arrested 3 times. Two were for weed and one was for a bar fight. The kids is a little concerning, but he still has about half the amount of kids that Cromartie has and a bunch of people in the zone wanted us to sign him last offseason. Throughout the entire draft process he has been completely accountable for his mistakes. While that does not change what he has done, it is encouraging for the future. Without the off-field issues he is potentially a top five pick and definitely worth the risk.
[ Edited by Draftology on Apr 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM ]
That

And what's wrong with being a sloo
T guy Weller Nd Cruz are slot we
Slot wr are the go to guys for 3rd downs and last year we didn't have a slot wr
You could cut that like in half. Guys like Lamar Miller shouldn't be in consideration. IMO, he's one of the most overrated players coming out.
I just dont see more then half of the players u listed still being there at 30. Most of the O Linemen you have on there will be gone.
Originally posted by natrone06:
I have no idea what use he would be to the 49ers and his selection would cause me to question Baalke's competence.

LOL. The Draft room nostradamus narcissists club strikes again.

Andrew luck could fall to us at 30 and someone would still complain.
Originally posted by stonecold590:

I know I would.
Because it means we just drafted a guy who lost his arms in an accident just before the draft, and we were the only team who didn't know about it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by stonecold590:

I know I would.
Because it means we just drafted a guy who lost his arms in an accident just before the draft, and we were the only team who didn't know about it.

that was not the point I was making. point is we can take the best player in the draft at 30, and somebody would still complain
Share 49ersWebzone