LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

I'm very happy with our "30 at 30" options, except for two players

With all the mocks that have come out and all the different directions we can go, I am very comfortable with our options at #30. There are, however, two players that I would be very upset if we took them at #30 -- I did have four players -- Shea McLellin and Derek Wolfe -- but I'm sold on McLellin now and Wolfe is simply a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I think only Mel Kiper has him as a first rounder).

The first is Kendall Wright. He's a 5-10 slot receiver without elite speed. I have no idea what use he would be to the 49ers and his selection would cause me to question Baalke's competence. He would be a terrible, terrible choice. All of the other 4 options at #30 for TEs/WRs each have their own strengths and weaknesses that we can all make arguments for...I'd be fine with any of them.

The second is Janoris Jenkins. The guy has major off the field issues, both with the law and in personal life. It clearly shows a lack of responsibility in life that will represent itself on the field at some point and through his work ethic. This is a "Raider" pick or a "Bengals" pick -- I would be very unhappy with the pick, but I would have to assume that Baalke determined his off the field issues are manageable and we can mature him as a man. Top 10 talent, Ten Cent head.

Here is my 30 available at 30, sorted by skill group:

Defensive Line
Michael Brockers
Jerel Worthy
Devon Still
Kendall Reyes
Brandon Thompson
Alameda Ta'amu

Edge-rusher (DE/OLB)
Nick Perry
Courtney Upshaw
Andre Branch
Whitney Mercilus
Shea McClellin
Chandler Jones
Vinny Curry

Defensive Back
Stephon Gilmore
Dre Kirkpatrick
Josh Robinson
Harrison Smith

Receivers and Tight Ends
Coby Fleener
Rueben Randle
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery

Running Backs
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Lamar Miller

Offensive Line
Kevin Zeitler
Amini Silatolu
Peter Konz
Riley Reiff
Cordy Glenn
Jonathan Martin

All of those players are solid. On the DL, we have a great selection of 5-technique Ends and one NT prospect. This might possibly be ther best year for pass-rushers I've ever seen available between #20 and #40 that we can select to rotate in with Aldon Smith and Brooks. At DB, Gilmore and Kirkpatrick will probably be gone too soon, but I'd be happy with Robinson or smith at #30. WR/TE will be a likely choice - the four solid receiving prospects available are all good choices -- depending on what you're looking for. And although I do not prefer we draft a running back at #30, if Baalke took one of these three running backs I would totally understand. Finally to the O-line, another likely option. Some of these guys are Offensive Tackles, but again I would totally understand them being picked; Anthony Davis was a 'singletary pick', and if Jim Harbaugh prefers Jon Martin at RT and Anthony Davis at RG, I wouldn't complain.
Nice 30-30 vision...
You start a lot of threads.

I disagree with you regarding Kendall Wright. He does not have elite 4.30-4.39 speed, but he has game speed. You also can't argue with Wright's production.

Read this article regarding Kendall's game speed. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-a-look-at-Kendall-Wrights-game-speed.html

If Baalke selects Wright at #30, I will be very happy. I trust Baalke.

But, this is all a moot point because Kendall Wright will be gone by the time we pick at #30.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have no idea what use he would be to the 49ers and his selection would cause me to question Baalke's competence.

LOL. The Draft room nostradamus narcissists club strikes again.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

I disagree with you regarding Kendall Wright. He does not have elite 4.30-4.39 speed, but he has game speed. You also can't argue with Wright's production.

Read this article regarding Kendall's game speed. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-a-look-at-Kendall-Wrights-game-speed.html

But, this is all a moot point because Kendall Wright will be gone by the time we pick at #30.

Why do you care how many threads are started? What's your problem? Do you want less content on the site?

Did you know Wright is 15 pounds heavier, cannot block, does not like to block, and gives up on plays where he is not getting the ball?

No thank you.
Originally posted by natrone06:

Originally posted by natrone06:

That's the exact opposite of the point ofy post. There are 30 guys that we can draft at 30, and I'd be happy with all of them. But there are two guys, one with size, doped, and talent issues, AMD the other with character red flags, that would male me think Mike Nolan is running the show.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Jeffrey the dude that eats more than val
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Hmmm...I am not a huge Kendall Wright fan but I think you are being overly critical. His tape is among the best of the WRs. He denies the body fat thing and said a team tested him when the story came out and told him it was 8%. And, even if you assume that your on field criticisms are correct, one could make the argument that slot receiver remains a hole as Kyle Williams was probably the 49ers best slot WR last year.

For all the criticism of Wright, you also have a few guys that probably are not top 30 guys. I've een few, if any, mocks with Miller or Robinson in the first round. Notwithstanding his combine workout, Robinson may not even be a 2nd round pick. If you are going to be critical of Wright's weight, then you would also have to be critical of Jeffrey who got fat during the season, skipped running at the combine so he could lose more weight and then showed up lighter at his pro day than where he had played at.

The first is Kendall Wright. He's a 5-10 slot receiver without elite speed. I have no idea what use he would be to the 49ers and his selection would cause me to question Baalke's competence. He would be a terrible, terrible choice. All of the other 4 options at #30 for TEs/WRs each have their own strengths and weaknesses that we can all make arguments for...I'd be fine with any of them.

The second is Janoris Jenkins. The guy has major off the field issues, both with the law and in personal life. It clearly shows a lack of responsibility in life that will represent itself on the field at some point and through his work ethic. This is a "Raider" pick or a "Bengals" pick -- I would be very unhappy with the pick, but I would have to assume that Baalke determined his off the field issues are manageable and we can mature him as a man. Top 10 talent, Ten Cent head.

I actually agree with you on your reservations about Wright and Jenkins ( for the reason stated)

I know that people say that Wright plays fast, but my gut tells me he isn't "NFL fast". I really haven't seen him blow away people with his speed although he has made nifty catches IN COLLEGE. He's 5'10" and not really that fast. I just don't think that he's a first rounder and I would not be thrilled with this pick, That's why I would be really surprised if Baalke did make this pick. But if he did, then I would obviously have been looking at it wrong.

You put in the work in putting together the list. It looks good!
lame

Originally posted by toeshawn:
Jeffrey the dude that eats more than val

Originally posted by kem99:
Hmmm...I am not a huge Kendall Wright fan but I think you are being overly critical. His tape is among the best of the WRs. He denies the body fat thing and said a team tested him when the story came out and told him it was 8%. And, even if you assume that your on field criticisms are correct, one could make the argument that slot receiver remains a hole as Kyle Williams was probably the 49ers best slot WR last year.

For all the criticism of Wright, you also have a few guys that probably are not top 30 guys. I've een few, if any, mocks with Miller or Robinson in the first round. Notwithstanding his combine workout, Robinson may not even be a 2nd round pick. If you are going to be critical of Wright's weight, then you would also have to be critical of Jeffrey who got fat during the season, skipped running at the combine so he could lose more weight and then showed up lighter at his pro day than where he had played at.

Kendall Wright = Peter Warrick

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=60892&draftyear=2000&genpos=WR
Nick...nice layout of players and I agree, there are so many directions Baalke can go, and just about all of them are in play this draft. About the only real "needs" are interior OL and receivers...but also need depth at S, OLB, DL. I'd be happy if TB gets a stud RB...because Gore's just not going to last a lot longer at the level the team's used to. My personal favorite is Doug Martin...IMHO he's the most well-rounded RB in this draft and a perfect fit for Harbaugh's WCO. But, there are other good RB's out there...Pierce, Turbin, etc. Also agree they need to either develop Dobbs or get another guy to understudy Justin Smith. Great as he is, he's got to slow down sometime. Getting a good S is appropriate insurance in case they can't agree on a long-term deal w/Goldson.
Originally posted by kem99:

Kendall Wright = Peter Warrick

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=60892&draftyear=2000&genpos=WR

that really proves nothing except you have a basic understanding of Google
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

I agree with you on wright his workout speed numbers don't match the speed you see on game film, He always seemed like he could blow by a CB in college. Just remember if speed was the biggest need a WR then San Fran would never of drafted Jerry Rice. His was 4.71 sec. Sometimes you just have to trust what you see on film
Share 49ersWebzone