There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's 49ers Best Player Available Board

  • bors
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,254
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by hofer36:
do you think that silatolu could play left tackle in the nfl? i know niners would view him as a guard but he would have added value as a potential backup at left tackle too

i know his 6-3 height works against him playing left tackle, but he moves his feet well and when i watched the tape barrows posted on him he reminded me a bit of derrek deese
Originally posted by Joecool:
Fleener will be this year's MD "there was a better pick" rant.

Maybe. One thing for sure is that if Fleener is on the board a 30 and the team passes, the Webzone will be in complete meltdown mode.
and it did
You had Jenkins at 37? I liked the pick, like it more now. Got a scouting report of your own? Read most of the ones online. I'm a big Michigan guy so I've caught a lot of his games. Kid's a gamer in my eyes, great routes, great game speed.
6 of your top 13 overall players still on the board. Hoping for the niners to trade up for one? Be nice.
I know you were high on Jenkins as well, good hit.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
You had Jenkins at 37? I liked the pick, like it more now. Got a scouting report of your own? Read most of the ones online. I'm a big Michigan guy so I've caught a lot of his games. Kid's a gamer in my eyes, great routes, great game speed.

I had Jenkins at 37 as my seventh best WR. He was the 4th WR selected. He was a riser and the Rams brought his in for a late meeting earlier this week. Although I am not surprised he went in this area, since I was only 7 picks away, I am surprised the 49ers passed on Cordy Glenn, who could be a Pro Bowl quality player as well as Peter Konz, who is a top level player who would anchor the line for a decade. I like the talent of Jenkins, but had a mid-late second round grade on him.

I was pretty big on Jenkins through the offseason since I saw his productivity in the Big Ten with some pretty poor QB play on the Illinois roster. He looked like a solid player, someone that continues to improve over time. So, just like last year, I like the player, but not in this slot. There simply were better players on the board at 30
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:18 AM ]
Originally posted by D-Money:
6 of your top 13 overall players still on the board. Hoping for the niners to trade up for one? Be nice.
I know you were high on Jenkins as well, good hit.

thanks. I am very high on some of the interior lineman in this draft and due to other team needs, they have fallen. Teams are going to be angry they did not draft Glenn and Konz in the first round. Janoris Jenkins may be selected right away at 33.
Updated Best Available Niners Board with undrafted selections in bold.
According to my Best Available Board, the Niners, without trading up or down, select at number 30: Peter Konz, Center, Wisconsin

However, as stated earlier in other threads, the Niners really missed a shot to move up 7 or 8 spots and grab DeCastro, who I feel has Pro-Bowl potential.

AJ Jenkins was my 37th best overall, with an early-second round grade.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,354
Originally posted by DVDA:
How do you feel about Trumaine Johnson fitting into the 49ers system?

Still curious...
Originally posted by DVDA:
Still curious...

Sorry if I missed this. Not a fan. I think he has to convert to free safety. The footwork and ability to "flip those hips" is not there at the next level. He will be drafted in the second round, but I do not see the ability to run with elite NFL WRs. Some zone based defense will love him.
Curious why you wouldnt have Wolfe on the Niners top 50 Board. I think he would be an excellent addition and be able to rotate with McDonald and Smith at DE and would be happy with selecting him in rd 2.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,354
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sorry if I missed this. Not a fan. I think he has to convert to free safety. The footwork and ability to "flip those hips" is not there at the next level. He will be drafted in the second round, but I do not see the ability to run with elite NFL WRs. Some zone based defense will love him.

No worries, I understand you and OTC have a ton of questions to answer so it's easy to overlook some. Thanks for the response though.

Next question, I think the 49ers need a corner or safety in this draft with Brown and Goldson in contract years. If they go DB early, I see three possibilities:

A. a corner with the plan of moving Culliver to safety.
B. a corner with safety size so Culliver or the pick could move to safety.
C. a safety with Culliver staying at corner.

What do you think they do? Culliver was good at corner, but I really think he would be special at safety.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Curious why you wouldnt have Wolfe on the Niners top 50 Board. I think he would be an excellent addition and be able to rotate with McDonald and Smith at DE and would be happy with selecting him in rd 2.

Just don't grade him as a mid-second rounder or higher, which would be the cut off the for top 50. I think of Wolfe as a nice player, and probable starter, but not a top level player in the NFL from this class.

Good, not great atheticism, good college player but doesn't have a huge ceiling. Just too many other better players in this draft, in my opinion. He will get drafted probably in that 45-55 area. I have him going 47th overall on my Big Board.
Originally posted by DVDA:
No worries, I understand you and OTC have a ton of questions to answer so it's easy to overlook some. Thanks for the response though.

Next question, I think the 49ers need a corner or safety in this draft with Brown and Goldson in contract years. If they go DB early, I see three possibilities:

A. a corner with the plan of moving Culliver to safety.
B. a corner with safety size so Culliver or the pick could move to safety.
C. a safety with Culliver staying at corner.

What do you think they do? Culliver was good at corner, but I really think he would be special at safety.
I hit Culliver square at pick 80 last year, and stated that his best position in the NFL would be safety. However, he played pretty well at corner for a rookie, and I think they want him to stay there. If the Niners pull the lever for a safety, look for a guy like Brandon Taylor in the 3rd round, if he is on the board at 92. You can almost carve in stone the team will pick up a late round corner or safety. Watch out for Jeremy Jones of Wayne State or Desmond Marrow of Toledo.