LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

SJCeruti's 2nd and Final 2012 First Round Mock

For my mocks I like to use the general opinions on players and interject some of my own thoughts putting myself in the role of the teams GM. The first two picks need to explanation but for the rest, have at it!

1.) Colts – Andrew Luck, STANFORD QB

2.) Redskins – Robert Griffin III, BAYLOR QB

3.) Vikings – Matt Kalil, USC OT – My thoughts here are basically that LT is more important that CB or WR. The Vikes need to protect Ponder first and foremost and they can look for WR help in the later rounds.

4.) Browns – Trent Richardson, ALABAMA RB – I don't value RB's very high in this day and age but the Browns need playmakers and ultimately he is better than any WR at this point. A running game will help this offense tremendously.

5.) Buccaneers – Morris Claiborne, LSU CB – Claiborne is the best corner in the class and even though I don't believe his skills will be maximized in the Tampa 2 defensive scheme…with the potential loss of Talib and retirement of Barber coming soon it's a need.

6.) Rams – Justin Blackmon, OK STATE WR – The Rams needs #1 wide out and although I don't even believe he's the best WR in the draft, the Rams do and get help for Bradford.

7.) Jaguars – Michael Floyd, NOTRE DAME WR – I have Floyd as the best WR in the class. His combination of size, speed, athleticism, and skill will give Gabbert some help so the Jags can evaluate whether he can actually play.

8.) Dolphins – Quinton Coples, UNC DE – It might be a surprise that Tannehill doesn't go here but not for me. I'm not sold on the guy and I don't think NFL GM's are either. Yes the Fins need a QB of the future but drastically reaching on one is even worse. Take Coples and find your QB later.

9.) Panthers – Dontari Poe, MEMPHIS DT/NT – I know his stock has dropped but his raw talent can't be overlooked. Carolina can go with another DT but I think Rivera wants the chance to coach up Poe.

10.) Bills – Riley Reiff, IOWA LT – The Bills have needed a tackle for a while now and Reiff is a guy they can put in from day one to protect Fitzpatrick or whomever they have at QB.

11.) Chiefs – Luke Kuechly – BC MLB – Solid player that KC can stick next to Derrick Johnson in their 3-4 scheme. It's also a possible spot for teams wanting Tannehill to trade up to.

12.) Seahawks – Melvin Ingram – S. Carolina DE/DT/OLB – Ingram is a guy I think is much better suited for a 3-4 OLB/MLB sort of in the mold of Steeler Lawrence Timmons…however he can rush the QB and Seattle can use that opposite Chris Clemons.

13.) Cardinals – Jonathan Martin, STANFORD LT – I went back and for between Martin and DeCastro but ultimately went with Martin because tackle is more important. I'm higher on him than some. He can add weight but he's got skills to be a franchise tackle.

14.) Cowboys – Stephon Gilmore, S. Carolina CB – I love this guy. He may be the best CB in this class in 3 years and the Cowboys need all the help they can get in the secondary. This team has a lot of need though and could go safety, o line, or d line as well.

15.) Eagles – Ryan Tannehill, TEXAS A&M QB – Might be a shock to some but any Reid loves his guy and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up to get him. He has Andy Reid written all over him too and to be honest it might be the best spot for him. He can sit behind Vick for a year or two plus with Vicks injury history you need another capable QB.

16.) Jets – Courtney Upshaw – ALABAMA OLB – I'm not sure about Upshaw. At time he looks too heavy and slow but then he shows an elite burst to get the QB. The Jets have needed an edge rusher for some time and they get one here.

17.) Bengals – Dre Kirkpatrick, ALABAMA CB – Nate Clements needs to be upgraded but this is already a solid defense and he can add to it.

18.) Chargers – David DeCastro, STANFORD OG – They need upgrades all across the offensive line and they get the best interior linemen in the draft in DeCastro.

19.) Bears – Michael Brockers, LSU DT – I'm a big Brockers fan. I think he's versatile and will fit in well with what is a big need for the Bears.

20.) Titans – Whitney Mercilus, ILLINOIS DE – Derrick Morgan hasn't been what the Titans expected so they try again with Mercilus who has great athletic ability.

21.) Bengals – Mark Barron, ALABAMA SS – The consensus best safety prospect in the draft…however I'm not sure he's all that impressive. He should be a solid pro and fills a need giving the Bengals a young core in the secondary.

22.) Browns – Kendall Wright, BAYLOR WR – The Browns have their RB and now a playmaking WR…let's see if Colt McCoy can play.

23.) Lions – Janoris Jenkins, N. ALABAMA CB – Might have gone higher if it weren't for the off the field issues. The Lions need a corner bad and get their guy.

24.) Steelers – Donta Hightower, ALABAMA MLB – Perfect fit. Simple as that.

25.) Broncos – Fletcher Cox, MISS ST DT – Very nice pickup for the Broncos who need help in the interior of their D Line badly. Cox is a guy who will put pressure on the QB from the middle while Miller and Dumervil will bring it from the outside.

26.) Texans – Stephen Hill, GT WR – I'm not personally a Hill fan. I think he will struggle early in the NFL and will need a lot of coaching but he's got talent and the Texans needs someone opposite Andre.

27.) Patriots – Chandler Jones, SYRACUSE DE/OLB – Boy do they need a pass rusher. Jones is a bit undersized but he's got what it takes to pressure the QB. NE gets what they've needed for 2-3 years.

28.) Packers – Peter Konz, WISCONSIN C – The Pack needs a guy to replace Scott Wells who's now in STL. Konz is the guy.

29.) Ravens – Cordy Glenn, GEORGIA T/G – Ultimately I think Glenn is a guard and a good one who can step in after the Ravens lost Ben Grubbs.

30.) 49ers – Jerel Worthy, MICH ST DT/NT – BPA here. I love Worthy. Big guy who can move and will fit right it with the 49ers defensive front. He could play both NT and DE. He must work on his discipline but there are times on tape when he looks like a man amongst boys.

31.) Patriots – Harrison Smith, NOTRE DAME S – The Pats got a pass rusher earlier and get a cover safety here. Both will be immediate impact players.

32.) Giants - Lamar Miller, MIAMI RB - Gamechanger at the RB position which could really help the Giants. Plus they lost Jacobs.

Love to hear the reaction, but I just dont think Fleener is a 1st rounder and I may be alone on this board but not in the draft world.

What's everyone's take on Worthy? I think he can rotate in and make an impact from day 1 like Aldon.
[ Edited by Sjceruti on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:40 AM ]
Well, it takes guts to post a mock like this on the webzone, but... I don't like it.

Worthy is a great player and I would rather have him than any OG that is likely to be there at #30. However, I don't see a team that was a couple mistakes away from the superbowl going for a player that is not likely to make any significant contribution for a couple years. He would not crack the starting lineup for a while and the staff seems high on some of the younger DL guys we have already.

In your Mock, Randle and Fleener are both still on the board at #30... I can't see us not taking one of them in that scenario.
what? no FLEENER?!?

who?
worthy is a good player but i dont want a DE

i wouldnt mind an OLB because in 3-4 theyre the pass rusher but a 1st round pick when were already stacked at DE not really a smart move imo
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
who?

exactly

this is probably going to be the pick
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
who?

exactly

this is probably going to be the pick

Sounds like a Kentwan Balmer pick. Hopefully not though
Not sure if Worthy is big enough for a 3-4 NT. kinda on the fence with that pick
Originally posted by kronik:
Not sure if Worthy is big enough for a 3-4 NT. kinda on the fence with that pick

Yea I dont think he'll be a NT in our base right away or anything but I see the value in him playing the 5 technique right away and on passing downs sliding inside for a push in the middle. Ulimately it gives us more of a rotation for our front 3 which isnt very deep and allows him to be groomed for the future either for Justin or Soap.
Originally posted by TlSSER:
what? no FLEENER?!?

And I dont buy Fleener for us in the 1st. Overrated prospect who I believe is a mid 2nd round talent in a TE class without an elite player.

I really could see Jerel Worthy. I honestly could see us going D Line and shocking everybody. But nobody wanted Aldon Smith last year. And look how that turned out...
Originally posted by blm7754:
Well, it takes guts to post a mock like this on the webzone, but... I don't like it.

Worthy is a great player and I would rather have him than any OG that is likely to be there at #30. However, I don't see a team that was a couple mistakes away from the superbowl going for a player that is not likely to make any significant contribution for a couple years. He would not crack the starting lineup for a while and the staff seems high on some of the younger DL guys we have already.

In your Mock, Randle and Fleener are both still on the board at #30... I can't see us not taking one of them in that scenario.

Look at what teams like the giants do tho. They have one of the best d lines and year in year out they always take new pieces for their dline. Strength gets stronger
Not a fan of this draft BUT ...

I am a fan of the war is won in the trenches and getting QUALITY OLine & DLine is never a bad thing.
Share 49ersWebzone