There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mebemused First and Last Mock

Maiocco makes an interesting point that internally, with their FA acquisitions, and their back-ups, BaalkeBaugh feel that they don't have a glaring hole they have to fill in this draft. So different from our preoccupation with a WR or OG in the first to fill our most glaring need. The focus of this draft goes to filling out our reserves by getting the BPA. I also take Maiocco serious about finding a backup FS. Enjoy!

30 Janoris Jenkins CB - Harbaugh has created a strong players locker room, so I think Jenkins won't self-destruct. He will make an impact as a rookie, covering slot receivers as the #3 CB. Should create more coverage sacks. As you know, without all the character concerns, Jenkins is a top 15 pick.

61 Markelle Martin FS - Perhaps the best athletic FS in this years draft class, with good coverage skills. Falls because of injury. Need to groom a FS if Goldson isn't resigned or we get an injury. National Football Post has him as the top FS in this draft. (This is a need selection too.)

92 Juron Criner WR - There are lots of big, tall receivers in this year's draft, many of which are faster than Criner. Here is what Pat Kirwan said:
This week I had an old secondary player/coach watch many of the wide receivers in the 2012 draft class. I knew he would like Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon and Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, but who else would jump out at the old pro? As my old boss, the late Dick Steinberg would say "pay attention to the scout that has a different opinion than all the rest of the evaluators. Maybe we should restudy the guy and try and see what he sees." What if I told you there is a wide receiver that at 6'3", 225 lbs. and could jump 39 inches vertically, which in basketball terms means his elbows are above the rim. He has bigger hands than Justin Blackmon, and even though he has 209 receptions and 32 touchdowns in his career, he is thought of as a fourth- or fifth-round pick because of a 40 time. The former scout/coach came to me for discussion with the following report: The wide receiver has good hands, good open field skills, quick feet, plays hard, gets open, competes for the ball and is more than a willing blocker. He is a good fit as a 'Z' in a west coast system. I had my old scout also evaluate Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd during the same session and he was still high on the mystery man. The receiver's name is Juron Criner from Arizona, and his draft status ranges from the 10th-best receiver to not even in the top 20 according to some draft analysts. Some describe him as a guy with subpar straight line speed, relies too heavily on his size down field and inconsistent hands. Go back and look at the report on Marques Colston of the Saints from 2006 and it's similar. That report was wrong and damaged Colston enough. - Pat Kirwan, CBS Sports

125 Devon Wylie WR - Balkebaugh want competition at all positions. Wylie will compete with Kyle Williams for the slot, will compete with Ted Ginn for KR/PR duties(Wylie has better hands), and with his blistering, 4.39 40 speed, will be a gunner on special teams. Basically, he is as fast as Ginn, more agile, and has better hands. Wylie is on Rob Rang's team of players who don't have the best measurables, in Wylie's case size, but have great film.

165 Josh LeRibeus OG - Has started all 12 games at left guard … Blocks for the running back who leads the league in rushing and an offense that ranks third in the league in passing offense … Team has scored 308 points (seventh best all-time at SMU) and racked up 4,752 yards of total offense (fourth at SMU). Gil Brandt ranks him 97th on his Hot 100, so MadDog's and OTC's predictions of where he will fall make him a real value here.

199 Tauren Poole RB - If OTC and MadDog are correct, very good value in the 6th round for the 11th randed runner by the National Football Post:
A strong, well-put together back with a thicker lower half and good overall muscle tone through the thighs. Possesses a good first step when asked to press the line of scrimmage. Gets north/south quickly and deciphers info well inside. Displays an above-average feel between the tackles and does a nice job setting up blocks and accelerating toward daylight. At times makes some poor decisions as a runner, typically in space, but for the most part is pretty dependable.

Is a one-cut back who is a bit tight in the hips when he gets up to full speed, more of a weaver when asked to run in space. However, inside he keeps his feet under him, can stick his foot in the ground and explode quickly up field. Does a good job finishing runs and lowing his pad level in short yardage /goal line situations. But inside, he runs a bit upright. Doesn't run with great forward lean when pressing the hole and at times gets knocked off balance and goes down far too easy. Nevertheless, runs hard and has the type of straight-line speed at the second level to outpace angles and create yards by the chunk. Doesn't have a ton of wiggle to his game, is better off running toward space in the open field. But in tight area displays enough short area quickness and power to side step a defender and break a tackle.

I came away impressed with his ability on 3rd downs as well. Is an intelligent blocker, recognizes blitz pick-up quickly, is patient into blocks and displays natural anchor strength. Also, demonstrates a good feel in the pass game, has some savvy as a route runner, locates the ball quickly and will pluck/create in the short passing game when matched up on linebackers.

Impression: A thick, strong back who runs hard and displays natural one-cut ability. Runs a bit high and isn't overly fluid making defenders miss. But can break tackles, play on third down and looks like a solid contributing NFL back.

237 - Janzen Jackson FS - Another talented DB with character problems. In the seventh round, why not take a flyer on him?

Can't wait to see who BaalkeBaugh actually pick!
Love it...
Martin will be a steal and I like Criner as a prospect. Plus Jenkins is a great cover guy. I just dont think Jenkins will be around at 30 though.
Not bad, but do we need to draft 3 guys in the secondary? I believe we will draft an OLB for depth late in the draft. Also, is there room for 2 more WRs? And although it's not a high pick, I don't think we need anymore RBs. We already have 5 on our roster. I liked the players u picked but I just think it will be crowded at those spots, maybe 1 of each.
Pretty good. Jenkins could end up being a steal or end up stealing something...its a risk. He's up there with Claiborne if he's never kicked put of Florida.

I really like Criner, but I do not like the idea of drafting two WRs. One will not make Tue team
Really like the FS Martin pick.
Here is a Niner Mock to get excited about. Different. Creative. BPA. Needs addressed.
jenkins is a talent for sure but his damn off the field issues bug me a lot and his damn goon mentality. but having a cb tandem or rogers, brown, culliver and jenkins will be flat out awesome covering teams that use multiple wr sets like the packers, aints, pats and giants while we have our pass rushers going after their qbs. our defense will be so much better and thats why getting jenkins will be a great pick but once again those damn off the field issues
Definitely different. The only pick I would change is the 7th round pick. You fixed the secondary with the first two picks, so drafting an OLB like Burriss or Fugger or Solomon would fill the last need on defense. Nice work!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Pretty good. Jenkins could end up being a steal or end up stealing something...its a risk. He's up there with Claiborne if he's never kicked put of Florida.

I really like Criner, but I do not like the idea of drafting two WRs. One will not make Tue team

If the Nners draft Wylie, the guy who should be worried about his job is Kyle Williams.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Nick your right. One of these three players will not make the team if we draft Devon Wylie:

Ted Ginn (Dare I mention that Ginn was a FA, and couldn't find a suitor?)
Kyle Williams
Devon Wylie

Of the three, Devon Wylie is the most versatile, if he is a better KR/PR than Kyle Williams. And versatility is a good thing in a 5 th round pick.

It's even possible that Devon Wylie can replace a second player in year two, after he learns the playbook and comes up to NFL game speed.

So Wylie's ceiling would be:
• No drop-off in KR/PR yardage
• Better handed receiver, who is slightly bigger, and may catch more balls than Ginn has
• Competition with Kyle Williams in year two for slot receiver.

If he succeeds, he also saves a roster spot with his versatility, I would call that a very good 5 th round pick!

It remains to be seen how Devon Wylie would fare in competition with Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams. But if drafting him creates a 3-way competition, than the odds of improving the team just doubled over a 2-way competition.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Nick your right. One of these three players will not make the team if we draft Devon Wylie:

Ted Ginn (Dare I mention that Ginn was a FA, and couldn't find a suitor?)
Kyle Williams
Devon Wylie

Of the three, Devon Wylie is the most versatile, if he is a better KR/PR than Kyle Williams. And versatility is a good thing in a 5 th round pick.

It's even possible that Devon Wylie can replace a second player in year two, after he learns the playbook and comes up to NFL game speed.

So Wylie's ceiling would be:
• No drop-off in KR/PR yardage
• Better handed receiver, who is slightly bigger, and may catch more balls than Ginn has
• Competition with Kyle Williams in year two for slot receiver.

If he succeeds, he also saves a roster spot with his versatility, I would call that a very good 5 th round pick!

It remains to be seen how Devon Wylie would fare in competition with Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams. But if drafting him creates a 3-way competition, than the odds of improving the team just doubled over a 2-way competition.

with out kr. ginn falls off that list not williams. williams is a better reciever
The 9ers drafted a WR last year and he didn't make the team though they desperately needed a guy at his position. You can't try to draft only positions that are wide open, but need to take good players to compete for a job.

Right now there are no positions "totally open" so should the 9ers just trade all their picks for future years? Of course not. Drafting two WRs may net the 9ers one good one, or two if they beat out Williams and Ginn...or Moss if he is washed up. When you have major questions at a position you can't play it safe. WR and RG are major question marks right now.
.Works for me. Great draft
Good draft and out of the box. BUT it won't happen.

Jerkins is good but WAY too much baggage.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good draft and out of the box. BUT it won't happen.

Jerkins is good but WAY too much baggage.

I would most def. take a flyer on him in the second if he's still there. Something tells me that he will, doe.