There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

National Football Post 3 round mock

I enjoy Wes Bunting because he doesn't just follow the herd, and has reasons for his ranking of players.

He rarely does Mocks but here are his first 3 picks for the 49ers:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-Long-Mock-Round-Three.html

30 Stephen Hill WR
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football vertically. He's one of the draft's elite size/speed combos at the receiver spot and his stock is on the rise.

61 Casey Hayward CB
A smart, productive corner who can consistently make plays on the football. He's not a guy who will consistently hold up in man on the outside in the NFL. However, he's shown the ability to routinely get early jumps on the football and come down with the catch. Looks like one of the safer prospects in the draft as a cover two type guy.


92 Robert Turbin RB
Physically, he reminds me some of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, he looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cut back ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike me as a guy who is ever going to have a real gaudy yards per carry average. Nevertheless, he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains.
I would fly out to Wes Buntings house and blow him if thats how our draft went
Originally posted by mebemused:
I enjoy Wes Bunting because he doesn't just follow the herd, and has reasons for his ranking of players.

He rarely does Mocks but here are his first 3 picks for the 49ers:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-Long-Mock-Round-Three.html

30 Stephen Hill WR
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football vertically. He's one of the draft's elite size/speed combos at the receiver spot and his stock is on the rise.

61 Casey Hayward CB
A smart, productive corner who can consistently make plays on the football. He's not a guy who will consistently hold up in man on the outside in the NFL. However, he's shown the ability to routinely get early jumps on the football and come down with the catch. Looks like one of the safer prospects in the draft as a cover two type guy.


92 Robert Turbin RB
Physically, he reminds me some of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, he looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cut back ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike me as a guy who is ever going to have a real gaudy yards per carry average. Nevertheless, he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains.

Don't like it. Those are 3 guys that would not even sniff the field as rookies on our team. We need a more polished WR than Hill that can contribute right away. Hayward and Turbin are solid prospects... but we are stacked at those positions. I'd rather see OG and Safety at those spots.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
For some reason I can't get sold on hill but I dont know who I'd rather have there
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by mebemused:
I enjoy Wes Bunting because he doesn't just follow the herd, and has reasons for his ranking of players.

He rarely does Mocks but here are his first 3 picks for the 49ers:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-Long-Mock-Round-Three.html

30 Stephen Hill WR
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football vertically. He's one of the draft's elite size/speed combos at the receiver spot and his stock is on the rise.

61 Casey Hayward CB
A smart, productive corner who can consistently make plays on the football. He's not a guy who will consistently hold up in man on the outside in the NFL. However, he's shown the ability to routinely get early jumps on the football and come down with the catch. Looks like one of the safer prospects in the draft as a cover two type guy.


92 Robert Turbin RB
Physically, he reminds me some of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, he looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cut back ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike me as a guy who is ever going to have a real gaudy yards per carry average. Nevertheless, he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains.

Don't like it. Those are 3 guys that would not even sniff the field as rookies on our team. We need a more polished WR than Hill that can contribute right away. Hayward and Turbin are solid prospects... but we are stacked at those positions. I'd rather see OG and Safety at those spots.

At that point in the draft none of the remaining wr prospects are going to be well polished. Coach them up. I agree with you on Turbin and Hayward. and if Hayward can't hold up in man coverage on teh outside then he won't fit this defensive scheme.
Originally posted by toeshawn:
For some reason I can't get sold on hill but I dont know who I'd rather have there

I agree. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something that "feels" wrong about Hill. I love the idea of Fleener as a flashy pick, but in all honesty I feel like Konz or Zeitler will be the safer choice.
I respect Wes Bunting because he does work on his projections and reports, but frankly I think he is pretty off on his analysis when I've read his work.

Hill - I wouldn't be surprised if we did take Hill, because I think he fits our offense pretty well. One thing overlooked is that Hill can be a physical blocker, has the speed to work deep routes, and the size to be a red zone target.

Hayward - I'm a fan of Hayward's, but I don't think he fits the type of corner Baalke wants. Hayward isn't very physical nor is he very agressive, and operates best when he is sitting back in zone coverage and is able to use his football IQ to read the QB. I think Baalka prefers more physical, more speed, and more ability to do man coverage.

Turbin - please no...will be a waste of a pick. Turbin has stiff hips, poor change of direction ability, runs upright. If you want a power RB, go with Tauren Poole out of Tenn. Wes Bunting on Poole "Impression: A thick, strong back who runs hard and displays natural one-cut ability. Runs a bit high and isn't overly fluid making defenders miss. But can break tackles, play on third down and looks like a solid contributing NFL back." The thing that a lot of scouts liked about Poole is his blitz pick up and recieving skills out of the backfield. He isn't going to juke anyone and won't be bouncing it outside in the NFL, but a great power RB prospect with recieving skills and IQ to block against blitz packages.
i highly doubt were getting a RB

we looked at all our RBs BEFORE we got jacobs

no point in carrying 4 RB and gores replacement can wait till next year where the RB class is so much better
I think fans are putting too much stock in Jacobs and Moss because of their body of work before they joined the 9ers. Don't both these guys have little to know guaranteed money. Personally I would love to see the 9ers draft Hill and Turbin. If Harbaugh and Co. can transform Aldon to a new position, then they may also work wonders with Hill.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,380
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by mebemused:
I enjoy Wes Bunting because he doesn't just follow the herd, and has reasons for his ranking of players.

He rarely does Mocks but here are his first 3 picks for the 49ers:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-Long-Mock-Round-Three.html

30 Stephen Hill WR
Hill is going to need to become a more consistent route runner. However, at 6-5 he showcases some natural short-area quickness to his game and knows how to go up and get the football vertically. He's one of the draft's elite size/speed combos at the receiver spot and his stock is on the rise.

61 Casey Hayward CB
A smart, productive corner who can consistently make plays on the football. He's not a guy who will consistently hold up in man on the outside in the NFL. However, he's shown the ability to routinely get early jumps on the football and come down with the catch. Looks like one of the safer prospects in the draft as a cover two type guy.


92 Robert Turbin RB
Physically, he reminds me some of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, he looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cut back ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike me as a guy who is ever going to have a real gaudy yards per carry average. Nevertheless, he should be able to keep you ahead of the chains.

Don't like it. Those are 3 guys that would not even sniff the field as rookies on our team. We need a more polished WR than Hill that can contribute right away. Hayward and Turbin are solid prospects... but we are stacked at those positions. I'd rather see OG and Safety at those spots.

Dont like it Safety would never see the field as rookie on our team.

Do you realize you contradict yourself with your own statement? The entire benefit of being a good football team is being able to draft 1st, 2nd, 3rd round prospects and not need them because the team is so talented.

Spillman is our #3 S and Legree was a 5th rounder last year, he might not have what it takes but I'd like to think he will win the #4 job in camp. right now we are looking for a #5 and or #6 S depending on how the camp competition shakes out and if we feel if Colin Jones has a better future at WR or at S(even if he stays mainly on ST).

Right now Kilgore and Boone are part of the "starting caliber 7" that our FO believes we have, so its not exactly a primary concern at RG. We already have 3 people slated to compete for the starting RG spot in Boone, Kilgore, and Person. I am confident our our 1st rounder will end up being G Amini Silatolu but we dont exactly NEED a RG.
Hill and Turbin

Originally posted by sfout:
Dont like it Safety would never see the field as rookie on our team.

Do you realize you contradict yourself with your own statement? The entire benefit of being a good football team is being able to draft 1st, 2nd, 3rd round prospects and not need them because the team is so talented.

Spillman is our #3 S and Legree was a 5th rounder last year, he might not have what it takes but I'd like to think he will win the #4 job in camp. right now we are looking for a #5 and or #6 S depending on how the camp competition shakes out and if we feel if Colin Jones has a better future at WR or at S(even if he stays mainly on ST).

Right now Kilgore and Boone are part of the "starting caliber 7" that our FO believes we have, so its not exactly a primary concern at RG. We already have 3 people slated to compete for the starting RG spot in Boone, Kilgore, and Person. I am confident our our 1st rounder will end up being G Amini Silatolu but we dont exactly NEED a RG.

I don't see the contradiction. A WR and a OG taken 1st and 2nd would have the chance to be big contributors as rookies. We are a good football team, but our offense still kind of sucks balls. We were among the worst in the league in several key statistical categories. Our OL struggled early and our WRs had very modest to little production all year long.

We have a much harder schedule this year and if we want to make it to the Super-bowl we MUST get better on offense.

On defense, we are that team that can draft for the future. However, we are thin at safety. Goldson is on a 1 year contract. Spillman is a special teamer. And the other guys are pretty big question marks. Safety is a need. And if someone gets injured, a rookie could see a lot of playing time.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Don't like it. Those are 3 guys that would not even sniff the field as rookies on our team. We need a more polished WR than Hill that can contribute right away. Hayward and Turbin are solid prospects... but we are stacked at those positions. I'd rather see OG and Safety at those spots.
What makes you think Hill wouldn't see the field his 1st year on a team that still needs a WR? Hill would be no worse than #2 on this current roster. And since when in the NFL do teams sit 1st round (or any round for that matter) WR's for reasons other than hold-outs, injury, or just outright busts? I just don't get what you base that on. Do you honestly believe that our WR corps is filled with absolute studs and worldbeaters that even a first round prospect like Hill won't see the field at all? Please tell us thats not what you think.
I dont really know much about any of these guys so I just go off of position. I would be happy going WR, CB and RB with out first 3 picks.
I like the draft and would jump for joy if it happened. Big fans of both Hill and Hayward, although, I'd hope to use our 3rd rounder on a guard.