LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

I've got Randle over Hill...Am I crazy?

Acceleration: 9.0

Film Study: This clip is a perfect example of how Wright's instant acceleration makes him so dangerous after the catch. He makes his first cut hard to the left and is already at full speed, so the defense has no chance to recover. This is the kind of play that gets you excited about this kid.

Overall: Wright's acceleration is a tremendous asset. He has the ability to get to full speed almost instantly. He routinely shows that his elite acceleration in and out of breaks creates separation from the defender, both before and after the catch. After bursting off the line of scrimmage, he is at full speed within a few steps, and eating up the initial cushion created by the defender.

Agility: 9.0

Film Study: The balance and agility it takes to make the play in this clip is remarkable. One obviously astounding part is the tight rope act he performs down the sideline, but the whole play shows his amazing agility. First he is able to get open by making a quick swim move to get inside the defender, and then he adjusts to a high throw. Wright then is able to make two defenders miss tackles in the open field because of his agility and balance. After that, his skills are on full display as he is able to tight rope for nearly 20 yards.

Overall: Wright has an ability to utilize his agility and balance with or without the ball. He gets in and out of his breaks smoothly and with fluidity. This attribute is a big reason why he is so explosive in the open field. He is able to make sudden cuts and breaks while maintaining balance and speed. This is an elite element of Wright's game.

: Watch this clip here. Wright makes the catch, the cornerback falls down, and then the safety comes to make the tackle. Even though the safety has a great angle to make the tackle, Wright's speed immobilizes the great angle, and the safety fails to make the tackle. Overall: Wright is projected to run a 4.3-4.4, 40 at the combine. That is an elite speed. More importantly than that, he plays very fast in pads and separates himself from defenders with ease.

Not only does Wright posses incredible deep speed, he has short area quickness and acceleration that are unmatched in this draft by non-slot WRs. His 4.45 pro day time was closer to his actual game-speed than his "official" combine time (4.61).

Wright's agility, acceleration and vision are top-notch. He always gets yards after the catch with a quick move. Defenders look nervous about attacking him and missing. Instead, you'll see defenders try to corral Wright to keep him from gaining too many extra yards

Extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands. Wright can take a screen pass to the house or fly past the secondary for a long score. It's very hard to overthrow Wright on a deep pass with his speed and catching radius. He knows how to keep his feet in bounds and can pull of spectacular catches regularly

Accelerates quickly and smoothly, gets to top speed within the first ten yards

The first thing that jumps out on film is the impressive body control Wright exhibits on a regular basis. Whether he's making tough plays in traffic or simply adjusting on the fly to an inaccurately thrown ball, he seems to do everything at full speed. He's extremely fast, has good acceleration and, if he sees daylight, he's gone. He's moves laterally very well and has a natural ability to make people miss. Basically, he's a YAC machine.

- Top speed, one of the fastest players in the game every time he hits the field
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Baalke/McCloughna go by the same draft philosophy: Draft bigger/stronger/faster. No way we're taking Wright who is short/short arms and not very fast

dude he is a speedster

and he is the fastest wr on game tape

yes even faster than hill

Haha, there u go again with his 'speed' He cant prove it on the same track as others at the combine. Maybe you can arrange a race between him/Hill/Randle/Blackmon/Floyd to prove it

Your gametape is very subjective. How do u measure it? How many games did he play against the SEC ?

C'mon Kronik, you know that Jerry Rice's speed is the end all be all of the Game Speed VS Track Speed argument so why even go there. It is a very valid point especially when the Pros also acknowledge Hill's speed being slower on tape. It's a fact, man.

All good. Once Hill learns and perfects the route trees, then look the frick out! Until that time, he's going to be under a learning curve. Still, looks like he's coming in for a visit so we must like him, huh?

@TDAVENPORT88 Stephen Hill juat said on @SiriusXMNFL that 49ers are indeed trying to set up a visit @Tre9er

Don't see tweets about visits for Wright...just sayin'

Originally posted by ninertico:
C'mon Kronik, you know that Jerry Rice's speed is the end all be all of the Game Speed VS Track Speed argument so why even go there. It is a very valid point especially when the Pros also acknowledge Hill's speed being slower on tape. It's a fact, man.

All good. Once Hill learns and perfects the route trees, then look the frick out! Until that time, he's going to be under a learning curve. Still, looks like he's coming in for a visit so we must like him, huh?

@TDAVENPORT88 Stephen Hill juat said on @SiriusXMNFL that 49ers are indeed trying to set up a visit @Tre9er

we already talked to wright at combine and went to his pro day
  • mike
  • Veteran
U're bringing up college stats? Did u know there are different offensive systems in college?

Are u one of them 'stats' guys? Ever heard of that WR we drafted in the 1st round from Oklahoma state that had great stats a few years back? Hint: He's fishing now

And you're overrating based on size and combine stats alone. Wright's lack of height is made up for by freaky athleticism. His vertical jump was only 1 inch shorter than Hill and he's 7 inches shorter in height. The stats are more to just make the point that he has huge big play potential despite the knocks you have on him.

Obviously we're never going to find out who's faster on film without having film tape. To me from the few games I've seen I believe Wright is the fastest on the playing field. He's one of those shifty type of fast players, not necessarily a straight line track star but he can just beat guys. I know it's a different position but it's similar to how Kendall Hunter had mediocre combine times but he's just one of those shifty type of runners. You can't measure that at the combine.

People on here overrate size. Kendall Wright is the best route runner of the three we're talking about, hands down. He was being mocked in the top 10 before all this combine BS knocked his stock. If he is there at 30 or within 5 spots of it, we take him. He's the most ready out of these WRS to impact in year 1.
[ Edited by mike on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

we already talked to wright at combine and went to his pro day

But is he coming in for a visit? I know that it doesn't necessarily mean they won't draft Wright if he drops to #30, but if Randle and Hill are also there, I would expect Baalke to draft one of the other two instead of Wright, but that just purely speculative on my part. Still, would like to see Wright in for a peeky.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
(responding to the title)

No you're not crazy, I think its a good thing IMO. Both are exactly what we need in this offense to complement with Crabtree and Manningham....Moss too, but I don't expect much from him. Personally I wouldn't be mad if we passed up Hill for Randle and vice versa. I just prefer Hill a bit more, I like the way he shields off DB's and makes those tough catches, a bit raw yes, but with Crabtree, Manningham and Moss there I believe he would have good group to help him come along faster. It doesn't matter who we get though, I believe next years starters will be Crabs and Manningham.

Its gonna be fun seeing the new group of receivers we're gonna have, I expect to see more 3 or 4 wide. This team will be geared up to go toe-to-toe with any team in the NFL, our 9ers will be the ones feared now!!!!
I think Randle looks like Crabtree 2.0. The thing that makes me want to rank Hill higher than Randle is the Red Zone factor.
Randle is 6-3 210 with a 31in vert while Hill is 6-4 215 with a 39 1/2in vert jump. 8 1/2in is a big deal when going up for the ball in the end zone.
Also just for all you Coby Fleener fans he is 6-6 247 with a 37in vert.
I have Quick over both!
Originally posted by Ice49er:
I think Randle looks like Crabtree 2.0. The thing that makes me want to rank Hill higher than Randle is the Red Zone factor.
Randle is 6-3 210 with a 31in vert while Hill is 6-4 215 with a 39 1/2in vert jump. 8 1/2in is a big deal when going up for the ball in the end zone.
Also just for all you Coby Fleener fans he is 6-6 247 with a 37in vert.

i agree

with everything except randle is stronger a bit faster and taller than crabtree and has great work ethic

also hill is much more raw than randle hill coming in will only help with RZ (we have moss for that) i wouldnt mind getting hill to groom but its a matter of what you want

both have amaing upside but randle is a bit safer and will make more of an impact when he comes in (and hes only 20)
randle's work ethic scares me.

Originally posted by mike:
And you're overrating based on size and combine stats alone. Wright's lack of height is made up for by freaky athleticism. His vertical jump was only 1 inch shorter than Hill and he's 7 inches shorter in height. The stats are more to just make the point that he has huge big play potential despite the knocks you have on him.

Obviously we're never going to find out who's faster on film without having film tape. To me from the few games I've seen I believe Wright is the fastest on the playing field. He's one of those shifty type of fast players, not necessarily a straight line track star but he can just beat guys. I know it's a different position but it's similar to how Kendall Hunter had mediocre combine times but he's just one of those shifty type of runners. You can't measure that at the combine.

People on here overrate size. Kendall Wright is the best route runner of the three we're talking about, hands down. He was being mocked in the top 10 before all this combine BS knocked his stock. If he is there at 30 or within 5 spots of it, we take him. He's the most ready out of these WRS to impact in year 1.
Vert Jump has nothing to do with your height. It is a way to measure leg power.
How to measure vertical jump, the simplest method to measure an athlete's vertical jump is to get the athlete to reach up against a flat wall, with a flat surface under his/her feet (such as a gym floor or concrete) and mark off the highest point he/she can reach flat-footed (this is referred to as "standing reach"). Then, instruct the athlete to take several jumps from a standstill, marking off the highest point he/she can reach. Next, measure the distance between the two. This is the athlete's standing vertical jump and this can be monitored to track any increases in vertical jump
i agree

with everything except randle is stronger a bit faster and taller than crabtree and has great work ethic

also hill is much more raw than randle hill coming in will only help with RZ (we have moss for that) i wouldnt mind getting hill to groom but its a matter of what you want

both have amaing upside but randle is a bit safer and will make more of an impact when he comes in (and hes only 20)

If you break down what all goes into a great WR I think Hill has Randle beat just barely. Also Hill and Randle were born two weeks apart.
Separation Skills- Hill
Hands- Randle
Route Running- Randle
After the catch- Randle
Deep Threat- Hill
Red Zone- Hill
Blocking- Hill

I see Randle as a 80-90rec 1100-1200yd 5-7 TD type of WR and Hill as a 60-70rec 900-1000yd 9-13 TD type of WR.
Originally posted by mike:
U're bringing up college stats? Did u know there are different offensive systems in college?

Are u one of them 'stats' guys? Ever heard of that WR we drafted in the 1st round from Oklahoma state that had great stats a few years back? Hint: He's fishing now

People on here overrate size?

McCloughan/Baalke draft philosophy doesnt agree with u. With high picks, it's always about size/speed/strength. And personally, I agree with them
  • mike
  • Veteran

McCloughan/Baalke draft philosophy doesnt agree with u. With high picks, it's always about size/speed/strength. And personally, I agree with them

Size is just one of the three you just mentioned. LOL. Like I said, I believe Wright plays a lot faster than you think he is. He's been called an athletic "freak" before.

Plus if that were the "draft philosophy", we would just draft a bunch of gym rats. Our "draft philosophy" is to watch a TON of film and get the guy who looks best. Aldon had Ware-like size but most of all he looked very very good on film.

OL obviously you get the most athletic ones. Before that, oh hey crabtree...Where's the size on crabtree?lol.
[ Edited by mike on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM ]

thats only in terms of o linemen we have drafted a WR since crabtree and he is smaller sized...
Share 49ersWebzone