LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 125 users in the forums

Free agency leftover, trade down mock

The only signing the Niners may pull off before the draft would be either Deuce Lutui or Leonard Davis to a one year deal at RG.

After that, the Niners trade #30 pick to Buffalo for the 41st. 105th (4th), and 147th (5th) picks.

Round 2 #41 Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin - time to address the biggest need first
Round 2 #60 Ronnell Lewis OLB Oklahoma - Depth at OLB and a great special teams player, too.
Round 3 #92 Markelle Martin FS - coverage safety the Niners needs to back up Goldson
Round 4 #105 Devon Wylie WR/KR - Slot guy to compete with Kyle Williams and backup Ginn
Round 4 #125 Derek Wolfe 3-4 DE Cincinnati - Big East Defensive Player of the year; depth on the d-line.
Round 5 #147 Greg Childs WR Arkansas - big developmental WR with athleticism and can block; coming off injury so he drops to the 5th
Round 5 #165 David Molk C MIchigan - Competition for Goodwin and Chase Beeler
Round 6 #197 Hebron Fangupo NT BYU - Competition for backup NT; Ice getting up there in years, too.
Round 7 #237 James Hanna TE Oklahoma - 3rd TE ; PS guy

Overall, the Niners address most of their remaining needs and make a couple of picks with ST in mind as well as position depth (Lewis and Wylie)
I like trading down in this draft, especially to pick up Zeitler with a low second round pick.

But I wouldn't make the trade for a 4th and a 5th. Their 4th and 5th wouldn't be enough value in return, even though it balances on the trade chart.

#30 620
#41 490
I would want their 3rd round pick, #72 worth 230 pts. To partially balancing the 100 pts. difference, I would give them our 4th round pick,#125, worth 47. Of course the better trade would be the Vikings 2nd in 2012 and 2013.

But you want more picks for our Super Bowl run. And this draft is deep at a number of positions through the first 3 rounds. How would you draft with these picks?

We end up with:
Round 2 #41
Round 2 #61
Round 3 #72
Round 3 #92
Round 5 #165
Round 6 #197
Round 7 #237
Originally posted by mebemused:
I like trading down in this draft, especially to pick up Zeitler with a low second round pick.

But I wouldn't make the trade for a 4th and a 5th. Their 4th and 5th wouldn't be enough value in return, even though it balances on the trade chart.

#30 620
#41 490
I would want their 3rd round pick, #72 worth 230 pts. To partially balancing the 100 pts. difference, I would give them our 4th round pick,#125, worth 47. Of course the better trade would be the Vikings 2nd in 2012 and 2013.

But you want more picks for our Super Bowl run. And this draft is deep at a number of positions through the first 3 rounds. How would you draft with these picks?

We end up with:
Round 2 #41
Round 2 #61
Round 3 #72
Round 3 #92
Round 5 #165
Round 6 #197
Round 7 #237
I agree. a 2nd and 3rd would be better. I have us trading with Minessota for a 2nd and 3rd in my mock. If we truly want to get the best out of this draft, we need to trade back for a 2nd and a 3rd. Im going to be posting a Mock soon, looks like we're both thinking similar ideas so check it out when its up
Nice mock, but another trade down that makes little to know sense. If they sign a veteran guard before the draft then that's a clear sign to me that they are rolling with Kilgore and won't be spending a early pick on a guard. I don't think the staff sees RG as a big like most of us believe. Time will tell. i love the Lewis and Martin picks but I just think both guys will be off the board.
I have been using Rob Rang's CBS Sports Prospect Rankings as my guide. In his scenario, Konz is rated below Zeitler and would still hypothetically be available.

Here's how things would change if we trade for the Bills 2nd and 3rd round picks:

Round 2 #41 Peter Konz C Wisconsin.
Round 2 #61 Mohammed Sanu WR Rutgers
Round 3 #72 Robert Turbin RB Utah St.
Round 3 #92 Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma St.
Round 5 #165 Jacquies Smith OLB Missouri
Round 6 #197 Hebron Fangupo NT BYU
Round 7 #237 James Hanna TE Oklahoma

Not much of a change, but I think the extra picks would do the Niners more good in the 4th and 5th. The one thing the Niners seem to value more than any other team is special teams and the above draft doesn't help that part of the team as much as my original mock.
I think you guys are looking at this draft upside-down! We have been bottom feeders with need at every position for so long you have forgotten what it looks like to reload and make another run. Last season was no fluke we have talent to win now. This team is heading into the draft with out a lot of "needs".

I think people here in the 'zone over estimate how much Frank Gore has left, and under estimate Harbuaghs need for a second dynamic tight end. We are in a perfect position to trade up in the draft, if we come out of this draft with 3-4 new players for camp, that would be about right in my estimation. We don't need a guard, Kilgore is a player we moved up to get last season, he is an agile 300+ pounder, a vet free agent as insurance will do at guard.

Despite signing Jacobs we don't have much depth at running back, we do not have an all purpose back on the team at all let alone an every down guy to replace Frank when he gets injured this season. Frank is old and has never been an all purpose back, he fumbles in short yardage, he not a good recover out of the backfield, and has never been great at running on the edges. Frank is a one diminutional between the tackles power runner at the end of his career. An all purpose guy can run between the tackles, run the sweep, and catch well, that guy is not on this roster.

If we come out of this draft with a tight end, an all purpose back, a #4 wide receiver, and some depth at D-line we will have done well. Who will those for be? we will see, but that is all we really need to make another run at the title!
I like some of the players that we are taking in these mocks, but I really don't see Baalke trading back. It hasn't been his strategy in the first few rounds. In fact, he is more likely to hone in on one player and move up to get him (see, Davis and Kaepernick). Although it might look good on a mock to trade back and fill more needs, people should realize that it takes two to tango AND our GM has done the opposite in recent drafts.
  1. @YouGotGored I see your point, but I don't think the Niners have as much ammunition to move up as they have in the last couple of drafts. Unless they decide to trade up using future picks, I still think the trade down option is the best way to go for Baalke. Since special teams are such a big part of the the Niners success, I think they make a run using some picks to replace guys that add depth as position players and special teams.
@GolittaCamper If the Niners stay put at #30 and the Niners agree with you about a RB, then things could go like this:
Fleener
Silatolu
Turbin
Wolfe
McNutt
Vernon OLB Miami
Jean-Baptiste NT Baylor
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
  1. @YouGotGored I see your point, but I don't think the Niners have as much ammunition to move up as they have in the last couple of drafts. Unless they decide to trade up using future picks, I still think the trade down option is the best way to go for Baalke. Since special teams are such a big part of the the Niners success, I think they make a run using some picks to replace guys that add depth as position players and special teams.
@GolittaCamper If the Niners stay put at #30 and the Niners agree with you about a RB, then things could go like this:
Fleener
Silatolu
Turbin
Wolfe
McNutt
Vernon OLB Miami
Jean-Baptiste NT Baylor

I gotta google some of these guys, but it looks good to me!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think you guys are looking at this draft upside-down! We have been bottom feeders with need at every position for so long you have forgotten what it looks like to reload and make another run. Last season was no fluke we have talent to win now. This team is heading into the draft with out a lot of "needs".

I think people here in the 'zone over estimate how much Frank Gore has left, and under estimate Harbuaghs need for a second dynamic tight end. We are in a perfect position to trade up in the draft, if we come out of this draft with 3-4 new players for camp, that would be about right in my estimation. We don't need a guard, Kilgore is a player we moved up to get last season, he is an agile 300+ pounder, a vet free agent as insurance will do at guard.

Despite signing Jacobs we don't have much depth at running back, we do not have an all purpose back on the team at all let alone an every down guy to replace Frank when he gets injured this season. Frank is old and has never been an all purpose back, he fumbles in short yardage, he not a good recover out of the backfield, and has never been great at running on the edges. Frank is a one diminutional between the tackles power runner at the end of his career. An all purpose guy can run between the tackles, run the sweep, and catch well, that guy is not on this roster.

If we come out of this draft with a tight end, an all purpose back, a #4 wide receiver, and some depth at D-line we will have done well. Who will those for be? we will see, but that is all we really need to make another run at the title!

Could not agree more. I would not trade away all of the lower picks, but the time is right to win now.

TE- Coby Fleener at #30, still my number one choice even if Wright is on the board. Comlement to VD
2- DE trade up in round two, lose 6th round pick for Crick or Mcmillin from Boise State, DE position of future
3- Robert Tubrin - Jacobs is on one year deal, would be fine keeping 4 rb's who play ST also, or cut Jacobs if Turbin is for real.
4 Deveon Wylie- KR- need a KR under contract for more than 1 year.

With the above, the niners are ready to make a run and reloading for future.

Trade down? How about trading up for Cordy Glenn or Peter Zonz? Just don't think there's enough roster spots to add another 9 players. I'd be happy with 5:

- Starting caliber OG (Konz, Glenn or possibly DeCastro if he somehow-but-not-likely fell to the late teens)
- WR depth
- OLB depth
- FS/SS depth
- whatever depth (TE or DE, maybe RB)
Originally posted by 9erred:

Could not agree more. I would not trade away all of the lower picks, but the time is right to win now.

TE- Coby Fleener at #30, still my number one choice even if Wright is on the board. Comlement to VD
2- DE trade up in round two, lose 6th round pick for Crick or Mcmillin from Boise State, DE position of future
3- Robert Tubrin - Jacobs is on one year deal, would be fine keeping 4 rb's who play ST also, or cut Jacobs if Turbin is for real.

Or this.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Trade down? How about trading up for Cordy Glenn or Peter Zonz? Just don't think there's enough roster spots to add another 9 players. I'd be happy with 5:

- Starting caliber OG (Konz, Glenn or possibly DeCastro if he somehow-but-not-likely fell to the late teens)
- WR depth
- OLB depth
- FS/SS depth
how about no, seriously trading a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for another damn olineman in the 1st rd is f**king ridiculous. its amazing how people think you can only find good olinemen in the 1st rd when time and time again it has been proven you can find them in the later rds and have them as a successful piece to your oline for yrs with great coaching. look at the damn saints oline when they had nicks along with evans and bushrod were all later rd picks on top of that with the exception of nicks were small school picks.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

- WR depth
- OLB depth
- FS/SS depth
how about no, seriously trading a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for another damn olineman in the 1st rd is f**king ridiculous. its amazing how people think you can only find good olinemen in the 1st rd when time and time again it has been proven you can find them in the later rds and have them as a successful piece to your oline for yrs with great coaching. look at the damn saints oline when they had nicks along with evans and bushrod were all later rd picks on top of that with the exception of nicks were small school picks.

It's called a difference of opinion. You prefer to take a chance on lower-ranked lineman and hope they turn in to pro-bowlers (or at least effective players), I prefer to take that risk with guys that rate a little higher; it's just me. Both ways have proved effective and there's no real right or wrong way. I say tomAtoe you say "f**k you, Ghost."

Btw, I never said you can ONLY find good lineman in the 1st (you just made that s**t up). Sure, you can get lucky and find people like Nicks, Evans and Bushrod in later rounds, but the safer bet is to use 1st round picks where you can get guys like Nick Mangold, Logan Mankins, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Alex Mack, etc. (oh look, I just named some good players too). In the absence of hard data around success rates for lineman picked in the first versus those picked later, my preference is for higher-ranked talent, especially when that higher-ranked talent also happens to be the only real need (starting position-wise) this team has.

But seriously dude, relax. We're just talking here...nobody is making life and death decisions on this forum.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:

Looks good to me! I can't freaking wait till next season!
Share 49ersWebzone