There are 209 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Madding, please help selle on Branch. I watched 3 games of his this year and came away thoroughly unimpressed.

I like his size and all his measurables, but his game troubles me. I don't think I can recall him engaging an offensive linemen in any of the 3 games. He tried to speed rush around the corner almost exclusively and it seemed to me his game as I saw it would not translate well to the NFL. What am I missing? I see the potential like I said especially due to his measurables but I do not see it on the field. I must've seen his bad games because he appeared to need a huge overhaul to have a chance to make a significant impact at the next level.

I like Branch's ability to bend around the corner. He had one of the fastest 10 yard splits of any lineman, which shows that initial burst. He also looked terrific according to scouts in dropping into coverage at his Pro-Day. So, I think some 3-4 team will see tremendous potential in the young man. Now, he is raw, and needs to work on adding pieces tod his pass rush. But, I see a guy with tremendous physical gifts that can be developed into creating a terrific NFL player. Think JPP, minus the extreme length.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Na man I'm with you Baugh Area, I actually think R.Quinn was better last year coming out. Branch's game is going to have a hard time transitioning to the NFL, not willing to take on blockers and misses a lot of tackles, he has bust written all over him. Maddog can't get them all right, can he?

I get them all right....sometimes.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In a couple weeks, MD, I will will release / share with you my complete positional board ranking almost every player, by position, in terms of potential/expectation to succeed (barring injury). That will be fun to compare.

Sounds good. I hope to add a few more boards, including a positional one.

See Bobby Wagner's workout report today? Dude made some money.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
damn I suprised you have Brian Quick in the top 50

Brian Quick's 10 yard split came in at 1.47 seconds, which is .....Quick. The kid has great upside and regularly ran past defenders during Senior Bowl week. I like the guys a lot. He has number one WR potential

im thinking that to, and with the addition of manningham and moss maybe niners can afford to take a guy like this who may not intiially contribute right away given the adjustments most rookie receivers have to make, but could develop into #1 receiver in time
Hey MadDog,

Thanks for putting yourself out there year after year, it makes for some interesting read for sure. My question is how do you put Stephen Hill at 12 and Sanu at 15?

Stephen Hill looks like a straight workout warrior combine guy 6 4 215 4.36 40, super raw, didn't run a lot of routes in college and didn't put up great numbers other than his yards per catch which is because he played in the triple option offense.

Mohammad Sanu is the total opposite opposite and had a bunch of production numbers wise 109 - 1144 7 touchdowns but not good yards per catch. He ran 4.67 at the combine and then 4.46 at his pro day which is a much faster time which usually pro days are. His size at 6 2 215 are good, but doesn't seem like he's going to get separation in the nfl (ala crabtree.)

Just wanted to know your thought process, I already read a post that you really like Sanu and you must think the pro day is a more accurate 40 time.
Also can you elaborate more on David DeCastro? Having him at the 6th overall ranking you are putting him as a probowler for years and years because you have him above the tackles in the draft. Mayock said he's the best guard prospect in 11 years. So you think he will go that high in the draft? Guards almost never go that high unless you think he could potentially play Tackle too. His 40 time isn't great but seems like he's mobile and can hit the moving target.

And if you rate him that highly is he that much better of a prospect than Kevin Zeiter who you are thinking the Niners are going to draft or if the Niners could trade lets say 1st 2nd pick for DeCastro if he fell 15-18?
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on Mar 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM ]
I like Branch's ability to bend around the corner. He had one of the fastest 10 yard splits of any lineman, which shows that initial burst. He also looked terrific according to scouts in dropping into coverage at his Pro-Day. So, I think some 3-4 team will see tremendous potential in the young man. Now, he is raw, and needs to work on adding pieces tod his pass rush. But, I see a guy with tremendous physical gifts that can be developed into creating a terrific NFL player. Think JPP, minus the extreme length.

Sorry Maddog, he may have a good split but I have a really hard time seeing Branch compared to JPP. Very different player and not the same athletic freak. IMO from what I have seen of Branch he has a 3-4th rd game with great measurables. I'd prefer a guy who didn't test as impressively but actually has a tool box of pass rush moves to lean on.

Personally I have to see physicality in a pass rushers game to consider him a first rounder. That's why I feel Bruce Irvin will ultimately be the better pro, he has great speed and can bend around the corner with the best of them but when you watch Irvin he is engaging the o lineman a majority of he time with either an impressive bull rush or some nice hand fighting. He's very physical and despite his speed only will speed rush about 20% of the time. Branch speed rushes damn near 100% of the time.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Madding, please help selle on Branch. I watched 3 games of his this year and came away thoroughly unimpressed.

I like his size and all his measurables, but his game troubles me. I don't think I can recall him engaging an offensive linemen in any of the 3 games. He tried to speed rush around the corner almost exclusively and it seemed to me his game as I saw it would not translate well to the NFL. What am I missing? I see the potential like I said especially due to his measurables but I do not see it on the field. I must've seen his bad games because he appeared to need a huge overhaul to have a chance to make a significant impact at the next level.

A team that employs a heavy amount of stunts in their 3-4 would be a scheme he could immediately be a strong contributor in, a la Aldon Smith.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In a couple weeks, MD, I will will release / share with you my complete positional board ranking almost every player, by position, in terms of potential/expectation to succeed (barring injury). That will be fun to compare.

Sounds good. I hope to add a few more boards, including a positional one.

See Bobby Wagner's workout report today? Dude made some money.

Wagner is a guy that has intrigued me, and someone who made me think "this guy might be something." Strikes me as a player who at worst will be a very solid pro, and looks like he could really be a playmaker. I had him going with the 1st pick of the 3rd on the big board. Now I am moving him into the top half of the second after his workout. Tremendous.
I think Brian Quick is a top 3 receiver in the draft. Am I crazy?
MadDog.. Cyrus Gray and Robert Turbin are my 2 favorite sleepers in the draft.. some reason I think that Gray can be an elite back.. what do you think about these two?

ryan tennehill guy is going to be over drafted. I don't usually agree with Lombardi from the NFLN, but he said "whoever drafts him, they will be hoping; hoping that he can start for them in year two. He's a potential starter......" So if he goes within the first 15 picks, that team will be reaching big time. I just hate when teams over drafts a quarterback thinking he will be the franchise player, to only be drafting another QB 3 or 4 years later.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is why I think we stocked up on all our 'depth' guys through FA instead of the draft this year (2nd/3rd year players/fresh guys that missed 2011; Baalke is gonna be making some heavy trades for some 'can't-miss' players (either at OG, or WR). -This is usually what a lot of teams do at our draft position.

What about DE? You think Justin Smith is going to play at that level forever? If there is a can't miss pick at DE available at 30 I bet Baalke pulls the trigger.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This is why I think we stocked up on all our 'depth' guys through FA instead of the draft this year (2nd/3rd year players/fresh guys that missed 2011; Baalke is gonna be making some heavy trades for some 'can't-miss' players (either at OG, or WR). -This is usually what a lot of teams do at our draft position.

What about DE? You think Justin Smith is going to play at that level forever? If there is a can't miss pick at DE available at 30 I bet Baalke pulls the trigger.

Much as I love us drafting O linemen I just can't see us taking one in the first, let alone trading up. And unless we can find the next Jerry Rice I just can't see us trading up for a receiver, and maybe not even taking one in the first.

But DE? Ah. Baalke must be thinking long term by now. And a replacement for Justin and a new center must be high on his list. Good call. If it doesn't happen this year surely next year is a cert.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Much as I love us drafting O linemen I just can't see us taking one in the first, let alone trading up. And unless we can find the next Jerry Rice I just can't see us trading up for a receiver, and maybe not even taking one in the first.

But DE? Ah. Baalke must be thinking long term by now. And a replacement for Justin and a new center must be high on his list. Good call. If it doesn't happen this year surely next year is a cert.

I think this is the year English... With the flexibility the team has in the draft this year, this is the time to get those guys who can provide depth at key positions...and DE and NT are two of those....

Floyd will be the best WR in the draft...mark it down.
Share 49ersWebzone