There are 164 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50

Personally, I'd flop WRs Floyd and Hill. I'm not buying the hype on Hill. He's too raw. Take say for 40 time and we'd be looking at a 2nd-3rd rounder.
Originally posted by strickac:
Personally, I'd flop WRs Floyd and Hill. I'm not buying the hype on Hill. He's too raw. Take say for 40 time and we'd be looking at a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Definitely, watching film of the two and it isn't even close. Hill is by far the most overrated player is this coming draft. Just looking at film and not taking the combine into consideration he is not even top 10 at WR.
Originally posted by walker807:

Definitely, watching film of the two and it isn't even close. Hill is by far the most overrated player is this coming draft. Just looking at film and not taking the combine into consideration he is not even top 10 at WR.

It depends on how much you value upside. Sometimes what a player "could" be becomes more of what their value is, rather than just what they immediately can do. Some players have potential but for a variety of reasons may be predicted as unlikely to fulfill it. Hill is not one of those guys. He looks like if he was used and developed into a passing offense, he could be great.

This is why I grade him as the #4 receiver in this draft. I think many people would be surprised by who I think are the top 5 receivers in this draft. This is my current positional board for the Top 5 receivers:

1) Justin Blackmon, OKST
2) Greg Childs, ARK
3) Michael Floyd, ND
4) Stephen Hill, GA TECH
5) Mohamed Sanu, RUT

Note: Kendall Wright is #6, more because I think certain systems could hurt him more than they would for other receivers.

I think, barring injury, if Childs is 100%, he has all the tools to be a dominant NFL receiver. He snatches the ball out of the air, he gets upfield quicker than Floyd, he catches the ball well in traffic, he can truck defenders but also elude them, he can deliver punishing blocks, and runs great routes. Other than lack of 4.3 speed (although he hit 4.39 at his Pro Day), he has everything you'd want. The determination to play through pain and get back on the field speaks a lot to me as well.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM ]
OTC, I've been a big Childs guy for awhile now as well. Now I don't necessarily think that highly of him but I do see the things you describe in his game. He has a chance to turn a lot of heads as a pro!

As for Hill, I agree with you. Had he been used more we wouldve been talking about him as a 1st well before the combine. He eats up cushion so fast, I think of his North Carolina game and he was extremely impressive in that I think you can see his speed on tape.You also see him make some tough catches, the kind of catches you look for from a #1 receiving prospect.

I may not have Childs in my top 5 but nowadays it seems Jeffery is damn near as shocking.
1. Justin Blackmon
2. Alshon Jeffery
3. Michael Floyd
4. Stephen Hill
5. Kendall Wright
I hope Ingram is at 39 that means the 9ers get a chance to land the beast. He's top 15 on many boards.

• mike
  • Veteran
Glad to see fewer people favoring Wright, means we're more likely to get him
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
ryan tennehill guy is going to be over drafted. I don't usually agree with Lombardi from the NFLN, but he said "whoever drafts him, they will be hoping; hoping that he can start for them in year two. He's a potential starter......" So if he goes within the first 15 picks, that team will be reaching big time. I just hate when teams over drafts a quarterback thinking he will be the franchise player, to only be drafting another QB 3 or 4 years later.

If you draft for the future and not just the next year, Ryan Tannehill is a top fifteen pick.

If he goes to Miami, he will be the starter by the end of the year, and become a very good quarterback in his second year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by walker807:

It depends on how much you value upside. Sometimes what a player "could" be becomes more of what their value is, rather than just what they immediately can do. Some players have potential but for a variety of reasons may be predicted as unlikely to fulfill it. Hill is not one of those guys. He looks like if he was used and developed into a passing offense, he could be great.

This is why I grade him as the #4 receiver in this draft. I think many people would be surprised by who I think are the top 5 receivers in this draft. This is my current positional board for the Top 5 receivers:

1) Justin Blackmon, OKST
2) Greg Childs, ARK
3) Michael Floyd, ND
4) Stephen Hill, GA TECH
5) Mohamed Sanu, RUT

Note: Kendall Wright is #6, more because I think certain systems could hurt him more than they would for other receivers.

I think, barring injury, if Childs is 100%, he has all the tools to be a dominant NFL receiver. He snatches the ball out of the air, he gets upfield quicker than Floyd, he catches the ball well in traffic, he can truck defenders but also elude them, he can deliver punishing blocks, and runs great routes. Other than lack of 4.3 speed (although he hit 4.39 at his Pro Day), he has everything you'd want. The determination to play through pain and get back on the field speaks a lot to me as well.

Physically Child's reminds me of TO, except no attitude problems . I've been a fan of his for a couple years now.
bump
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
bump

to early to tell. But looking at guys you ranked high that went lower in the draft:

1. Coples - meh, hasn't looked that good yet
2. DeCastro - injured
3. Konz - jury is out, looks like he will be replacing McClure some day
4. Cordy Glenn - well he was starting, but then injured, so I'd say that you were right on him. A team found a starting LT in the mid 2nd.
5. Stephen Hill - injured
6. Janoris Jenkins - looks like he will be a steal, but everyone kind of thought that. It was his personality that caused him to drop
7. David Wilson - I would say you over rated him. I know he hasn't had much opportunity, but he was beat out by Andre Brown for the #2 role. If a RB is the 14th best player in a draft, he wouldn't be stuck as a #3 on a team
8. Sanu - yet to catch a pass on a team searching for a #2 WR. I'd say you got this one wrong
9. Bobby Wagner - I'm going to give you the credit on this one. I don't think he has as good as so far you said he was, but he is playing pretty well
10. Andre Branch - so far I'd say you were wrong on him, has he done anything special?

Edit: BTW, I think thats a really good hit rate on predictions. If anyone thinks its not extremely tough to do that well, they are always free to put up their own list
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM ]

Can I erase number 48, and pretend it didn't happen?
Luke Kuechly will be the best non-QB from this draft bar none.
Share 49ersWebzone