LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Who's your favorite at #30?

Who's your favorite at #30?

Originally posted by dlance:
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
Not when you already have two starting tight ends, again i believe we have more stability at the tight end position then we do at the WR position. Even tho we have made some acquisitions threw free agency there is still alot of uncertainty as far as what our WR corps are going to do You have Moss who was out of the league, Crabs who is good just inconsistent, Kyle who is still learning his roll, Ginn who shouldn't even be considered a reciever lmao, and Manningham who is in a new system. Im not saying they won't be good i'm just saying our TE's are considered one of the best duos in the league. You could not say the same about our WR's which is why i believe WR is a bigger need.

Why do the people that want Fleener so bad think moss is a lock not only to make the team but to be a very good to all pro WR. He was not all that good his last year in the League and then he took a year off. I hope he is great. I want him to be great. I'm just not ready to bet on it yet. If they do draft a WR and have to cut a WR i think they should Cut Ginn because he is not a very good WR. If Kyle returns kick all year i hope he would learn how to do it better and not fouble the ball away. Plus they have some DB they can put back there to return Kick. If they draft Fleener im not going to be unhappy I think he will help the team. I don't think it automatic that he starts over walker from day one. And i dont think any WR will start day one ether.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Fleener or bust. If we pick Coby Fleener we go to the Super Bowl.....

Why? Can Fleener throw it and catch it?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
...and there comes the nonsense.

Cutting a 5th round pick from 2 drafts ago? Who ever heard of such a thing?
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by CTNiner93:
At 6'6" with great hands and can block pretty good i believe Fleener is a no brainer. Look at what they do with Vernon, they put him spread out and get him the ball. Fleener ran a 4.4 or a 4.5 if im not mistaken. He will be an automatic upgrade to our offense. He is basically a TE and a WR.

Our team doesn't run a true west coast, but seeks to create mismatches. Fleener is a matchup nightmare, and can be utilized in the y slot, maybe the x because of his speed, as well as at hback and tight. because of the versatility factor, you can't purely look at him as our number two tight end, but a bigger faster walker that can out jump and run by a linebacker, but outmuscle and bounce off of a db but not be out quicked by the db. This is guy is purely a football player in every sense and would give our team an element that jimmy graham and Gronk presents: that you can't double davis anymore because it creates a pick your poison situation, as well as would open up the box for gore because the 4.45 threats over the top across the middle. Love this player and would take him over most of the first round even if we picked in the top ten
Originally posted by 49ersJstew:
Our team doesn't run a true west coast, but seeks to create mismatches. Fleener is a matchup nightmare, and can be utilized in the y slot, maybe the x because of his speed, as well as at hback and tight. because of the versatility factor, you can't purely look at him as our number two tight end, but a bigger faster walker that can out jump and run by a linebacker, but outmuscle and bounce off of a db but not be out quicked by the db. This is guy is purely a football player in every sense and would give our team an element that jimmy graham and Gronk presents: that you can't double davis anymore because it creates a pick your poison situation, as well as would open up the box for gore because the 4.45 threats over the top across the middle. Love this player and would take him over most of the first round even if we picked in the top ten

No team runs a "true" west coast offense anymore.

You guys are crazy if you think Fleener is going to drop past the 20th pick. After the success Gronk had there will not be 32 teams letting a 6'6'' tight end that runs a 4.5 get past them in the draft.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:

You guys are crazy if you think Fleener is going to drop past the 20th pick. After the success Gronk had there will not be 32 teams letting a 6'6'' tight end that runs a 4.5 get past them in the draft.

have to agree, possible that would should try to trade up to get him too, because we are finally in a possible where we can pick for value and not need due to our depth in the primary positions and the need for playmakers on offense

have to agree, possible that would should try to trade up to get him too, because we are finally in a possible where we can pick for value and not need due to our depth in the primary positions and the need for playmakers on offense

Fleener or Hill for me. It's a close call I can't really choose, but I would be happy with either one.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Fleener or Hill for me. It's a close call I can't really choose, but I would be happy with either one.

Hill is intriguing. and if fleener is gone, I dont' see why we shouldn't gamble on him

i picked Stephen Hill but i think he will be gone.so Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford.
but if David Wilson and Fleenner are there at #30 that would be a tough pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:
His playing time increased because everybody go hurt. He didn't rise up the depth chart because of skill it was because we needed bodies. And now that we have new guys he will be back behind Ginn.

I'm with you 100% here. KW beat out practice squad level players. He's not at all someone who'd be hard to replace.
Stephen Hill for sure!
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Why? Can Fleener throw it and catch it?

Steve Young did it.
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech. No surprise there.

WR's currently on hand (including PS):
Michael Crabtree: A roster lock, but I hope he's traded. Penciled as the #1, but in no way deserves it.
Mario Manningham: Likely #2, but I feel he's our best option at WR at this moment. Roster lock.
Kyle Williams: Solid slot WR/#3 and roster lock.
Randy Moss: Remains to be seen if he'll even make the final 53.
Ted Ginn Jr.: WR in name only. Should concentrate on returning kicks. Roster lock.
Joe Hastings: Some regular season sightings. Could see the knife or back on the PS.
Dontavia Bogan: PS. Likely gets cut.
John Matthews: Back to PS or gets cut.
Kyle Nelson: 6-3, 240. Don't really know what to make of him. But with that kind of size I'm interested in seeing more of him. Don't know if he makes PS or 53.

Of these 9 WR's 4 are definite locks: Crabs (unfortunately), Manningham, Williams, and Ginn. I know many here have Moss penciled as the #1 but Moss will have to earn a spot on the roster. I see us dressing 6 (or maby even 7) WR's on our final 53. I have no doubt that we get at least one in the draft, preferably Hill in round 1. I think Bogan and Matthews get cut. Depending on what we do in the draft Hastings or Nelson could be too. Regardless of the personnel JH & Co. will force some competition at this position.
Share 49ersWebzone