LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who's your favorite at #30?

Who's your favorite at #30?

Originally posted by jreff22:
Wright is a better football player. I know the argument that looking at what round a kid goes in doesn't really show his value all the time but lets be honest....Wright is a 1st round for a reason, KW wasn't. Wright is a better threat and is more of a big play guy. Williams has already shown durability issues in the NFL and I cant imagine it wont stop.

I don't really have a thing for Wright and would rather go elsewhere but he would be a big improvement and would take the slot away from Crabs by week 2.

Is wright in 2012 better than KW in 2012? or 2013?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Wright is a better football player. I know the argument that looking at what round a kid goes in doesn't really show his value all the time but lets be honest....Wright is a 1st round for a reason, KW wasn't. Wright is a better threat and is more of a big play guy. Williams has already shown durability issues in the NFL and I cant imagine it wont stop.

I don't really have a thing for Wright and would rather go elsewhere but he would be a big improvement and would take the slot away from Crabs by week 2.

Is wright in 2012 better than KW in 2012? or 2013?

I tend to think so. Williams came off of a mediocre season, had a few injuries, and cost the franchise a Superbowl. He will be buried on the depth chart and may not even dress on Sundays. Right now he is holding the bottom position, Wright would be pushing for starting duties.

But I don't think Wright falls to us, I have him slated to go to Cinci.
I tend to think so. Williams came off of a mediocre season, had a few injuries, and cost the franchise a Superbowl. He will be buried on the depth chart and may not even dress on Sundays. Right now he is holding the bottom position, Wright would be pushing for starting duties.

KW's season wasn't mediocre in the slightest. His playing time increased every week until his concussion vs SEA. And his performance went up with it. According to footballoutsiders.com, he had a DVOA of 12.3% -- very high.

KW's season wasn't mediocre in the slightest. His playing time increased every week until his concussion vs SEA. And his performance went up with it. According to footballoutsiders.com, he had a DVOA of 12.3% -- very high.

His playing time increased because everybody go hurt. He didn't rise up the depth chart because of skill it was because we needed bodies. And now that we have new guys he will be back behind Ginn.
His playing time increased because everybody go hurt. He didn't rise up the depth chart because of skill it was because we needed bodies. And now that we have new guys he will be back behind Ginn.

He produced more on a per play basis than anyone other than Josh Morgan.
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
The same can be said about drafting Fleener. We already have i believe 4 tight ends on the roster but that doesn't mean we can't draft Fleener right? In saying that i would have to say Stephen Hill would be my first choice Wright then Fleener. I'd honestly would be happy with any of the 3.

Terrible analogy; Fleener would start at TE2 on Day 1, with Walker pushed to TE3/H-Back. Bynum would either be a 4th tight end or get cut. not saying
I wasn't saying Fleener wouldn't be the TE2. TE is not as big a need as WR IMO. You said why burn a first rounder on the 4th wideout when its not a given that Kyle would beat out Hill or Wright heck we don't even know how Moss will pan out. IMO We have more stability at the TE position than at WR,
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I agree. Although Williams did flash potential, he really didn't beat out anyone, I mean c'mon Brett Swain, John Mathews and Joe Hastings.

He produced more on a per play basis than anyone other than Josh Morgan.

Again that doesn't mean much with who we had. Crabs is over rated and who else...Hastings, Swain?
I wasn't saying Fleener wouldn't be the TE2. TE is not as big a need as WR IMO. You said why burn a first rounder on the 4th wideout when its not a given that Kyle would beat out Hill or Wright heck we don't even know how Moss will pan out. IMO We have more stability at the TE position than at WR,

A starting Tight End is a bigger need than a backup WR.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Umm we have a starting TE.

WCO usually doesn't run two-TE sets from what I remember.

Too all the guys who are high on Wilson. Buyer beware. This kid dances dances dances, and worse reverses plays for big losses. Rathman will not like him. We complain about Dixon not getting into holes. Wait to you get a load of Wilson. He's a great athlete but is not an every down back and cannot get tough yards. We have hunter to be a speed/change of pace back. We need a bruiser, or ideally an every down guy to replace gore in the short term.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Umm we have a starting TE.

WCO usually doesn't run two-TE sets from what I remember.

But Harbaugh does. I think Fleener would be a huge upgrade to our passing game. Look at NE this year. I think that having Fleener on the field with davis turns us into a MUCH bigger passing threat than a great wideout. Given our coach and QB tendancies it also makes more sense to go TE to improve the passing game. I also agree we have a starter at TE but Vernon is all the more reason we should get Fleener. Fleener needs work on his blocking but we don't really need him to be that guy. We could create some matchup nightmares with Fleener and Vernon and two other wideouts on the field.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
'tis the season for over-hype. This is particularly the case of Hill and Fleener (among others).

They may be great. They may be some of the worst ever. That is what you get at the end of round 1. Big risks, particularly at skill positions.

To say that either Hill or Fleener are an unquestioned upgrade without ever seeing them play a down in the NFL seems a bit short sighted.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by okdkid:
'tis the season for over-hype. This is particularly the case of Hill and Fleener (among others).

They may be great. They may be some of the worst ever. That is what you get at the end of round 1. Big risks, particularly at skill positions.

To say that either Hill or Fleener are an unquestioned upgrade without ever seeing them play a down in the NFL seems a bit short sighted.

Again, you could say that about any player in the draft no matter what round or where they're picked.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Too all the guys who are high on Wilson. Buyer beware. This kid dances dances dances, and worse reverses plays for big losses. Rathman will not like him. We complain about Dixon not getting into holes. Wait to you get a load of Wilson. He's a great athlete but is not an every down back and cannot get tough yards. We have hunter to be a speed/change of pace back. We need a bruiser, or ideally an every down guy to replace gore in the short term.

Which is why I like Doug Martin.
Share 49ersWebzone