LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 253 Board- March 23rd Edition

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What do you think it would take to jump and get Konz? Do you feel that the difference between Konz and Zeitler is larger than the quality of player we can get in say Rd. 3? If so, I think we can trade up a few spots with a 3rd round pick.

Probably would take a 3rd or 4th rounder. Just really matters when the team projects him to be gone, and if they are willing to move up and make that trade. I think Konz is really, really good. I have graded as a top ten talent in this draft.
Mad Dog:
Could you put your grading list on the board for us to process? Then could you put your views of what you think that the Niner's list would be on the board?

I'd like this info as well
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Missing player who I think should be on here:

CB Keith Tandy, WVU.

5-10 197 4.43, 35-inch vertical, 10 foot broad jump, 16 reps. Steelers meeting with him soon.

He's on the board after the workout. Project him as a 6th rounder right now.

Good to hear. Had him tabbed as an early 6th, thought he looked like a great slot corner to develop.

With the comp picks now in, I can finish filling out my board. Depending on time constraints, we may have something to compare by the end of the week or so.

P.S. Houston OLB Sammy Brown is missing too, think he should be here.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Don't like this situation, we have no clear cut #1 and a bunch of low end guys. If we wait to draft a WR after the 3rd I will be agitated.

You are right that there appears to be no clear cut number one WR on this roster. But, at 30, I am not sure there are many number one guys who will be on the board. I love Sanu, but even then cannot figure out if he is a number one or two at the next level.
Even if there is no clear cut #1 wouldn't adding a playmaker to contribute with the possibility of him possibly being a #1 be wise...? Crabtree was the "guy" coming out and hasn't been the guy yet. If the argument that many claim that Crabs needs a complimentary guy across from him why not do that. Moss is...well who knows right now and Manningham is not that guy. I feel like we would be short changing the offense by not trying to get better players, especially at WR.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by dj43:
Thank you for that inclusion. Yes, I do not see the current group as much of an improvement over last season. That is why I expect to see a couple of picks spent on receivers. I believe we are fooling ourselves if we believe Harbaugh is ALL about a team built around power running. He has always had a stronger passing component than we had last season, and will want to replicate that in the future.
We already have a full roster of WRs including the usual suspects on the practice squad. Any more selections will probably require Moss, Manningham, Williams or Ginn to be cut or inactive. Unless that draft selection is the #1 WR, then it would be a waste. Certainly two picks at WR would waste one. The team has a higher need for starters and backup at OL, DL, LB, and safety.

I agree that the Niners don't have a clear cut #1, but there is improvement over last year, with a full off-season, Crabtree healthy, Crabtree, Williams and Ginn a year deeper into the playbook. Moss may frustrate himself off the team but Edwards was a non-factor last year. So, at worst, that's a wash. Manningham should at least produce what Morgan did last year.

Right guard is a bigger need at this point than WR. My feeling is that the Niners will not draft lower than the 2nd round for a guard. If the Niners can't find a certain #1 in the first round either at #30 or by trading up, I think they'll wait until the fourth round to select a WR/returner like Wylie. Fleener seems the most likely pick at #30. He would be insurance against both Moss flaking and Walker leaving next year.

Yes, drafting two WRs would create a logjam. The problem is that it would be a logjam of #3 grade receivers with the exception of Crabtree. Therein lies the problem. If the 49ers could grab a guy with #2 or #1 potential, then it would put pressure on Moss to hold his spot, same for Manningham and Williams, even Crabtree.

Harbaugh always talks about competition at every position and the way it looks right now, there really isn't much competition. Other than MC, there are some rather forgettable names up to this point. None of them are sacred. That is why I believe they will use a pick or two at WR.
The draft order is set with 253 picks, and the Colts have the honor of selecting Mr. Irrelevant.
MD,
I know you're not high on Fleener. But does next year's draft of tight ends appear to be strong?
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I'd like this info as well
I'll be dropping my Top 50 BPA board later tonight. Should be an interesting topic, for sure.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
MD,
I know you're not high on Fleener. But does next year's draft of tight ends appear to be strong?

Yes, yes, yes. This year's crop is really week. Very high on the TE's next year, and if Eifert comes out, it could be a huge year for TE's.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Even if there is no clear cut #1 wouldn't adding a playmaker to contribute with the possibility of him possibly being a #1 be wise...? Crabtree was the "guy" coming out and hasn't been the guy yet. If the argument that many claim that Crabs needs a complimentary guy across from him why not do that. Moss is...well who knows right now and Manningham is not that guy. I feel like we would be short changing the offense by not trying to get better players, especially at WR.

I think you run the risk of selecting a pretty good player at WR (who ends up being number 2 quality), instead of selecting a guy who will be very good at another position. WR's are tricky coming into the pros. The team is close to making a run at the Super Bowl, and maybe should look into throwing money in free agency. The idea of Mike Wallace at $10 million/year, if he is willing to bend to that number, is enticing.
Thanks for all your good work. I realize how busy you are and want to make a request. Any chance of putting together a top 10 by position board and/or your ideal draft for the Niner's.

1. WIll send soon
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM ]
a
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone