LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 253 Board- March 23rd Edition

the 49ers picks look like a Scotty Mac draft, reaching for a guard in the first ala Chilo. Hope to god this years draft doesnt look like that.
good work on the big board though, I just dont care for all the players we're slotted to get. I cannot believe that with all the receiving talent we only take that late round guy. I just dont see that happening.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
the 49ers picks look like a Scotty Mac draft, reaching for a guard in the first ala Chilo. Hope to god this years draft doesnt look like that.

That's about as low a blow as MadDog has ever received...
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

not trying to be mean but when i read it. Thats the first thing that came to mind.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by GORO:
MadDog could the 49ers draft a DL to replace Soapaga or J. Smith in a few years?

I think they do it in the first four rounds this year. The reason I see Ta'amu as a likely pick is due to Soap's contract ending after 2012. And since Sopoaga has experience playing the 34 DE, the team can put a jumbo DL on the field in situations with Soap and Ta'amu

Do you like Ta'amu as a player? Your earlier posts suggested that it's his position, not his skills, that lead you to think he'll get selected where he will
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great job as always MadDog! Ready for the draft

Thanks. We are getting there. Pro Days wrapping up soon
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
Based on these Rankings, I would Love it if our first picks were:

1- Coby Fleener Stanford TE - Imagine everything we could do with 3TE sets with Moss running a GO/ Deep Slant/ Post route. anything from goal line formations, to 4 'reciever' formations, all with the same personnel. a nightmare for Defences
2- Brandon Brooks Ohio G - Could Challenge for RG from day one. fills our most pressing need.
3- Tommy Streeter Miami WR - Has the same raw skills as Moss. one year of tutiledge from #84 and we could have a dominant WR.
4- Robert Turbin Utah St RB - 3rd RB, good tandem with Hunter once Gore is no longer needed

PS- I would take a chance with Burfict in the 6th-7th, low risk high reward. Keep him on a short leash, let PW52 have a chance to mentor him. if it doesnt work he can hit the streets.

Burfict is in real trouble. Guys drafted late are usually high effort, high character guys who bust it. I don't see either with Burfict, and therefore don't have hm drafted. I would guess that more than half of the teams have removed them off their boards, so the interested teams are few.

Turbin is an interesting kid. Thick, stocky RB (if there is a more rocked up rookie in this draft, I have to see it) who ran well at the combine. Crazy, sad family background makes me root for him.

Not a big fan of Streeter, but at this point with so many WR's, it almost a crapshoot.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Do you like Ta'amu as a player? Your earlier posts suggested that it's his position, not his skills, that lead you to think he'll get selected where he will

I think he is a player. Quick off the snap for a big guy. Looked solid during senior bowl week. Will be a guy who plays in the league for 10+ years. The question is at what level. There will be guys higher on my board when he gets drafted, but the value of a solid NT in the 34 base is huge.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

As you may recall, I hated the selection of Chilo Rachal and thought it was a terrible reach. To note: this is not a projection of how I would draft, as I have different guys higher on my own board for some of these selections. I am projecting what I think the team will do in these situations

I don't think he meant anything personal, just stating that he would hate the selections. Once again, if in this situation, I think Harbaugh would love to fill that RG need with a tough kid who plays smart. The braintrust wold have to determine if they thought this was a reach or if another player was higher on their board

Originally posted by thuglife619:
Would Love to trade up for lamar Miller in the second, that probably won't happen tho. I wonder how high Baalke and jim have trent richardson on their draft board, to the point as to where they draw the line on a number and are willing to trade up for a guy? Come draft day if somehow in a crazy weird draft trent richardson starts falling down to the mid teens i would hope we trade up, would you?

Richardson is the third best player on my board, so if he begins to fall, I would talk to somebody about compensation. The Browns are really in the drivers seat in this draft with the option of Blackmon, Richardson or Tannehill at number 4. The choice they make will alter the rest of the draft. Being from Ohio, I think the team goes Blackmon, Martin, Wilson, in their first three selections, and gives McCoy one more year to prove himself.
Originally posted by hofer36:
im thinking chandler jones from syracuse---he is about 270 but said to have the frame to add 20 lbs and be a 3-4 def end with some pass rush skills

Jones was 266 at the combine, so he would have to add about 25 pounds to his frame. That is a pretty big number for a guy drafted within the top 75 picks, and somewhat risky for the value. To me, he is a 43 DE who plays at about 275-80 when he matures
Ta'amu was expected to dominate for the Dawgs this year, but it didn't really happen. I could say that it was because he constantly faced double teams, but I don't think that's entirely it. He's a great physical specimen but his motor didn't seem to match.

I don't think he's going to be an All Pro, but he can certainly be a nice peripheral piece guy that helps clog the middle and protect the LB's.
As you may recall, I hated the selection of Chilo Rachal and thought it was a terrible reach. To note: this is not a projection of how I would draft, as I have different guys higher on my own board for some of these selections. I am projecting what I think the team will do in these situations

true i do remember that, Im just a fan of taking BPA in the first since we know we're set other then guard. If Kevin's the BPA then yeah, I just doubt thats the case.

I don't think he meant anything personal, just stating that he would hate the selections. Once again, if in this situation, I think Harbaugh would love to fill that RG need with a tough kid who plays smart. The braintrust wold have to determine if they thought this was a reach or if another player was higher on their board

What do you think it would take to jump and get Konz? Do you feel that the difference between Konz and Zeitler is larger than the quality of player we can get in say Rd. 3? If so, I think we can trade up a few spots with a 3rd round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone