There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The impact of Free Agency on the 49ers' Draft

While many think it drastically will change what we do on draft day, I for one am sitting here looking at it all and well.. after looking at the big picture, I do not believe it changes much at all about what we will look to do this April. Sure, we've made some signings, but many of them have been short-term deals. (Manningham - two years, Moss - one, Goldson - one, Tukuafu - two)

Also, keep in mind that many players will become FA after this season, or the following one. Of those that have not already been mentioned...

Notable FA's after 2012-13 Season:
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean-Francois
TE Delanie Walker

Notable FA's after 2013-14 Season:
OLB Parys Haralson
ILB Navorro Bowman
DE Justin Smith
DE Demarcus Dobbs
SS Donte Whitner
CB Tarell Brown
CB Perrish Cox
WR Kyle Williams
C Jonathan Goodwin
TE Nate Byham

This STILL means that WR, CB, OLB, C/OG, DE, NT, S, and TE are serious candidates for positions to be drafted. I think we'll go BPA, with the idea in mind of course of who we expect to keep in the future, but the fact remains, any position really is possible among those listed.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]
Andy Lee is also a free agent after this year.

Anyways, I am not seeing much of an impact except with Rogers being back and Cox added I don't think we go CB early anymore. We already have 6 guys and will keep 5 most likely so not really room to be bringing in top guys. We wouldn't have signed Cox to a 2 year deal if we were going to cut him (plus he could be our return man) and Brock wouldn't have been an exclusive rights tender (mean he couldn't sign with anyone else) if we were going to cut him. Curtis Holcomb or possibly a late rookie being drafted will most likely end up on the practice squad.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
as of 3/19/12 we need:
1) RG
2) OLB depth
3) another WR
4) FS depth
5) NT depth
If we get Schwartz IMO that means no early guard either. So I could see us going Fleener/WR and then probably depth all around except maybe another WR in the 2nd (if we take fleener in the 1st) or 3rd.

We could also use:
3rd RB upgrade (bruiser/ST)
a center for the future unless we think Beeler is it
safety depth with colin jones and Spillman as backups (maybe someone who can play both FS and SS)

Other than that I think we are ok for depth but we will still get OLB, LB, DL, G, etc.
Notable FA's after 2012-13 Season:
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean-Francois
TE Delanie Walker Notable FA's after

2013-14 Season:

ILB Navorro Bowman
DE Justin Smith
DE Demarcus Dobbs
SS Donte Whitner
CB Tarell Brown
CB Perrish Cox
TE Nate Byham

who I would bring back
Smith, Soap, and Bowman look like the only three guys we really need to lock up soon. Futures lookin bright
Of the free agents after the next 2 seasons, the following are ones I would keep.

TE Delanie Walker
DE Justin Smith
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT RIcky Jean Francois
CB Tarell Brown
FS Dashon Goldson
SS Donte Whitner
PK David Akers
P Andy Lee

Could care less about the following.

RB Anthony Dixon
WR Kyle Williams
TE Nate Byham
DE Demarcus Dobbs
DE Will Tukuafu
NT Ian Williams

I think we can upgrade at DL in a few years. Though I like Ian Williams a lot. A lot will depend on what the team does with Sopoaga and Jean Francois.

Not sure on.

RB Rock Cartwright (Want to see how he does)
WR Randy Moss (Want to see how he does)
WR Mario Manningham (Wait to see how he does)
C Jonathan Goodwin
CB Perrish Cox (Wait to see how he does)

Of course there are a bunch of players who won't make the team and thus won't be a possible FA.
I still think we need to take Hill at 30 if he is there. Not because of his measurables, but because we still need a potential number one receiver to develop. Even if Moss can play, he will be gone next year, plus Crabs and Manningham are more role players thatn anything. He would be able take a season and learn as the 4th receiver, then take over in 2013. If Hill isn't there then we need to take Streeter or someone similar in round 2 and take the same approach with them.
It seems from Everything the niners have done so far that they have pretty much put themselves in a position to take BPA in this years draft. That being said i still believe we will address the O-line and WR position within the first 3 rounds. We still need a number 1 type potential guy at wideout and still need a guard, i have a feeling our guard situation will be addressed in some way in free agency. If the o-lineman or wideout the FO wants isnt available believe we could take Fleener in the first round but, i just get this feeling he is not going to last till our pick. I would not be surprised if we ended up trading up or trading back in someway.
Niners will go Coby Fleener or Stephen Hill in round 1. You never know if someone slips like a DeCastro (highly unlikely).

Not 1 mock last year had Niners taking Aldon Smith. Smith didnt slide but you just never know what Baalke/Harbaugh are up to.
It's time to start drafting guys for the d line. It usually takes a few years foo most d lineman to blossom. especially when dealing with guys in a 3-4. Look how long it took Sop to become productive.
Good post.

Akers and Lee are absolute must-haves

Justin is as close to a must have as there is

Soap, Ricki Jean Ian Williams - depends on how they play this season but I feel pretty good about them

Goldson - I feel they'll lock him up
Whitner - I thought he did a very good job and got better as the season wore on

This season will determinne their fate
TE Delanie Walker, CB Tarell Brown, WR Kyle WilliamsTE Nate ByhamDE Demarcus DobbsDE Will Tukuafu

Dixon will be gone

So, BPA based on need. 1st - Fleener/Hill - If Fleener then Delaine & Bynum' days may be numbered
2nd - RG
3rd - Turbin - Bye-bye Dixon

Still a crap shoot and there still may be a FA surprise signing
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I still think we need to take Hill at 30 if he is there. Not because of his measurables, but because we still need a potential number one receiver to develop. Even if Moss can play, he will be gone next year, plus Crabs and Manningham are more role players thatn anything. He would be able take a season and learn as the 4th receiver, then take over in 2013. If Hill isn't there then we need to take Streeter or someone similar in round 2 and take the same approach with them.
This.
Moss isn't long term. Crabs and Manningham are #2's, at best. (And personally, I like Manningham as our #2 than Crabs.) These signings still don't answer our number 1 WR need. For me, I'd still think we go WR in the 1st.
Hopefully we can find 2 new lineman and 3 pro bowl caliber wide outs.
I think the first round pick should just be the BPA of whatever they think will make the offense run more efficiently... not necessarily just wr. If they want an Olineman because they think he is can't miss material, than I'm cool with it. If it's a Wr than I understand because it still makes sense and a TE also does since we use them so much. Even a RB wouldn't shock me because you have to always be thinking about forming the kind of team that you want to be.