LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 197 users in the forums

Now where do we go in the draft?

WR seems to be set. Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, that other dude who we never want to see again
Doubt we grab another WR with our 1st. Thinking we get one later in the draft for sure.
Fleener? Konz? Trade for DeCastro? Someone for the DL?
Fleener, or Konz/DeCastro if they somehow fall to us, unless Kilgore is ready to go.

Draft another receiver in the later rounds.
Draft a Guard, BPA, or Trade back if there isn't anyone we are really high on.

If we don't resign Ginn, we will prolly draft a WR/KR in the later rounds.
[ Edited by drake49er on Mar 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM ]
At this point, the team can just go BPA...

They may like Fleener because it gives the Niners another RZ threat, a guy who already knows the offense, and someone they could plug in immediately.

They might also look to add some depth to their DL since J Smith will be 33 next year...and because this draft is particularly well stocked with good DLmen. There should be a very good one available at pick 30.

The Niners will NOT draft a guard in the first round because of the financial commitment at that position. Iupati already makes a boatload of money and they will have to re-sign him at some point.

I also doubt the team will draft a CB in the first 2-3 rounds since they just added 2 vets to the roster.

However, if a top 20 pick falls to them at 30, regardless of position, they are now set to pull the trigger....and that how good teams continue to be good teams.

Cheers!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
BPA.
Mario does not stop us from going after WR
Originally posted by jreff22:

It does in the first round IMO.
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik:

2 year short deal like the Moss contract....gotta build for the future. I want to be stacked, I never want to see a garbage white WR on the field again.
I can see us going after a Guard in the first followed by Safety, Wide Receiver, Center (in no specific order)

Basically BPA the entire draft, lol
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM ]
2 year short deal like the Moss contract....gotta build for the future. I want to be stacked, I never want to see a garbage white WR on the field again.

So what, that is Baalke and Paraag's MO. They bring players in on short contracts so they can prove themselves, and if they do, they're rewarded by a long term contract. ex. Goldson, Rogers, Moss, etc.

Just because we didn't give Manningham a longer deal, doesn't mean we can't resign him again in 2 years if he produces.

Somehow I knew you would say this... Although for once I agree with you. The Mario signing doesn't stop us from going wr at all. I think we can say it's not as big of a need but really if the Moss experiment doesn't work we would be back to Crabs and Mario. It just depends on how we have our board and who is BPA at the time.

But I think we can also look for guys who can replace a contract that might be up the following year... Meaning Delanie Walker being replaced by Coby Fleener
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Nah.
Maybe we trade it for a future 1st round pick like the Pats always do. Trade with a lower tier team like Kansas City and hope they stink it up. Then you turn a 30 pick into a 15 overall the following year and top it with your own 1st the next year. Pats do this all the time...
  • dj43
Nothing changes at the top of the draft. If there is a quality WR available at #30, take him.

All this did is provide depth below Crabtree and a rookie. Manningham is a career #3 and Moss will be a non-factor after being out of football for a year and already having slowed down before that.

This move may influence a choice after the 3rd round but it doesn't change the core needs: WR, RG.

So what, that is Baalke and Paraag's MO. They bring players in on short contracts so they can prove themselves, and if they do, they're rewarded by a long term contract. ex. Goldson, Rogers, Moss, etc.

Just because we didn't give Manningham a longer deal, doesn't mean we can't resign him again in 2 years if he produces.
True but if neither work out we are back to square one again, gotta build for the future. If the right guys is there then you make the move.
Share 49ersWebzone