There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Big 125 Board + 49ers Mock (3/5/12)

OTC and I always laugh about some team in that 7-10 range every year that throws down a shocker. More often than not, the player struggles to make a serious impact, but all it takes is for one team to overvalue him based on __________, and they pull the trigger.

While I don't agree that Poe is the shock riser of the year, I can certainly see a scenario where a team makes that dramatic move. especially with defensive starved teams like the Panthers.

All of that being said, I think the real draft shocker in this class could be Stephen Hill, and I could possibly see him ending up in Jacksonville at number 7.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,657
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Raji had tape backing up his rise to the top 10 though, he wasn't just a workout warrior.

Raji's last year in school he looked like a man on a mission. I saw him time and again blow up double or triple teams before breaking into the backfield and making a play. With Poe, I often see him getting blocked one on one by much smaller offensive players (think the RB or TE from a smaller college program).


I'm not saying there's no chance Poe could make it to the top 10, but if he does I don't think Raji is the perfect comparison either. Raji was a straight up beast and deserved to go that high.

Poe is not JUST a work out warrior though. Never said that Raji is a perfect comparison either, but it very similar. Raji made a name for himself at the SB, too. But if you take a look at the analysis of both players, their rise at this time of year is almost identical. I hear what you are saying, but Raji had issues at BC, too and some of his tape showed inconsistency. He rocked it after the season and made a name for himself at the SB and Combine.

I remember this well because I was real high on him, more so than Crabs to be honest. Was pissed when GB took him ahead of us.

I was the same way with Raji and even before the SB it seemed to me he was a beast and was underrated. I could see his strength and explosiveness on the playing field.

I just went back and watched parts of a game of Poe's and again, he is too often shut down or pancaked by one player (players who he has a distinct size advantage over). I see litte strength, little push, poor technique(lowering his shoulder and using it as a battering ram against an OG, thereby sacrificing his length and strength and getting pushed away from the ball).

The most impressive thing I see him do is line up on the outside on 3rd downs and speed rush off the edge...You can see his quickness and that's great, but I'd much rather see my potential nose tackle or DE bull rushing and blowing people up, using his strength to beat double and triple teams(kinda like I remember Raji doing).
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC and I always laugh about some team in that 7-10 range every year that throws down a shocker. More often than not, the player struggles to make a serious impact, but all it takes is for one team to overvalue him based on __________, and they pull the trigger.

While I don't agree that Poe is the shock riser of the year, I can certainly see a scenario where a team makes that dramatic move. especially with defensive starved teams like the Panthers.

All of that being said, I think the real draft shocker in this class could be Stephen Hill, and I could possibly see him ending up in Jacksonville at number 7.

Damnit, you one upped me on my coming prediction that Carolina might take Stephen Hill to match him with Cam.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Damnit, you one upped me on my coming prediction that Carolina might take Stephen Hill to match him with Cam.

panthers already have decent WR what they dont have is d line or secondary ( d line is much worse) i really dont see a scenario where they go WR first round
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
panthers already have decent WR what they dont have is d line or secondary ( d line is much worse) i really dont see a scenario where they go WR first round

meh....not worth discussing in OTC's thread.

By the way OTC, there is a "forfiet" written after Billy Winn. Guess you really don't like him?
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
panthers already have decent WR what they dont have is d line or secondary ( d line is much worse) i really dont see a scenario where they go WR first round

meh....not worth discussing in OTC's thread.

By the way OTC, there is a "forfiet" written after Billy Winn. Guess you really don't like him?

It's the Raiders forfeited 3rd rounder that they spent on Pryor.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC and I always laugh about some team in that 7-10 range every year that throws down a shocker. More often than not, the player struggles to make a serious impact, but all it takes is for one team to overvalue him based on __________, and they pull the trigger.

While I don't agree that Poe is the shock riser of the year, I can certainly see a scenario where a team makes that dramatic move. especially with defensive starved teams like the Panthers.

All of that being said, I think the real draft shocker in this class could be Stephen Hill, and I could possibly see him ending up in Jacksonville at number 7.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC and I always laugh about some team in that 7-10 range every year that throws down a shocker. More often than not, the player struggles to make a serious impact, but all it takes is for one team to overvalue him based on __________, and they pull the trigger.

While I don't agree that Poe is the shock riser of the year, I can certainly see a scenario where a team makes that dramatic move. especially with defensive starved teams like the Panthers.

All of that being said, I think the real draft shocker in this class could be Stephen Hill, and I could possibly see him ending up in Jacksonville at number 7.

Would not be surprised. Recall that they took Tyson Alualu wayyy earlier in the first than anyone expected.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
7th overall is a little high for almost nothing but big plays on kick returns don't you think? Poe sucking is irrelevant. He'll be drafted higher than he should be. Remember Tyson Jackson going 3rd overall? Remember Vernon Gholston with his insane measurables going 6th overall?

It happens.

All the guys you mentioned were productive college players are major programs to back up their nice measurables. Poe is not.

If it's just where you think people will go instead of where they deserve to go, then I guess theres no point to argue. I just don't see it happening.

You are debating with one of the most accurate guys on this site who is correct more often then not.

that shouldnt stop him from having his own opinion and sticking to his guns, even if he is wrong..... which in my opinion he is

I'm wrong? Ted Ginn and Gholston weren't productive college players from top programs?

Or do you think Dontari Poe is a top 10 pick because OTC said so?


i think poe is going to be a high pick, because he has generated tons of buzz with his combine performance...i dont see him being a top ten pick based on his play, but i think somebody will bite early
Well, I'll extend my BJ offer from OTC to you, too. Dontari Poe is not a good football player.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
7th overall is a little high for almost nothing but big plays on kick returns don't you think? Poe sucking is irrelevant. He'll be drafted higher than he should be. Remember Tyson Jackson going 3rd overall? Remember Vernon Gholston with his insane measurables going 6th overall?

It happens.

All the guys you mentioned were productive college players are major programs to back up their nice measurables. Poe is not.

If it's just where you think people will go instead of where they deserve to go, then I guess theres no point to argue. I just don't see it happening.

You are debating with one of the most accurate guys on this site who is correct more often then not.

that shouldnt stop him from having his own opinion and sticking to his guns, even if he is wrong..... which in my opinion he is

I'm wrong? Ted Ginn and Gholston weren't productive college players from top programs?

Or do you think Dontari Poe is a top 10 pick because OTC said so?

Wes Bunting, a well known draft analyst for NFP released his mock today...

9. Carolina Panthers:
Memphis DT Dontari Poe The NFL Combine helped Poe as much as anyone. He's a massive kid with an elite combination of power, explosion and upside. His tape isn't great, but I think he's now a lock for the top 15.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mock-Draft-40-5010.html

I believe he had Bruce Campbell as a high pick too. Just another guy who only only looks at numbers and doesn't watch football.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Raji had tape backing up his rise to the top 10 though, he wasn't just a workout warrior.

Raji's last year in school he looked like a man on a mission. I saw him time and again blow up double or triple teams before breaking into the backfield and making a play. With Poe, I often see him getting blocked one on one by much smaller offensive players (think the RB or TE from a smaller college program).


I'm not saying there's no chance Poe could make it to the top 10, but if he does I don't think Raji is the perfect comparison either. Raji was a straight up beast and deserved to go that high.

Poe is not JUST a work out warrior though. Never said that Raji is a perfect comparison either, but it very similar. Raji made a name for himself at the SB, too. But if you take a look at the analysis of both players, their rise at this time of year is almost identical. I hear what you are saying, but Raji had issues at BC, too and some of his tape showed inconsistency. He rocked it after the season and made a name for himself at the SB and Combine.

I remember this well because I was real high on him, more so than Crabs to be honest. Was pissed when GB took him ahead of us.

I was the same way with Raji and even before the SB it seemed to me he was a beast and was underrated. I could see his strength and explosiveness on the playing field.

I just went back and watched parts of a game of Poe's and again, he is too often shut down or pancaked by one player (players who he has a distinct size advantage over). I see litte strength, little push, poor technique(lowering his shoulder and using it as a battering ram against an OG, thereby sacrificing his length and strength and getting pushed away from the ball).

The most impressive thing I see him do is line up on the outside on 3rd downs and speed rush off the edge...You can see his quickness and that's great, but I'd much rather see my potential nose tackle or DE bull rushing and blowing people up, using his strength to beat double and triple teams(kinda like I remember Raji doing).

I love how everyone just ignores this. "But, but, but, I heard he's good!!!11"
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
OTC and I always laugh about some team in that 7-10 range every year that throws down a shocker. More often than not, the player struggles to make a serious impact, but all it takes is for one team to overvalue him based on __________, and they pull the trigger.

While I don't agree that Poe is the shock riser of the year, I can certainly see a scenario where a team makes that dramatic move. especially with defensive starved teams like the Panthers.

All of that being said, I think the real draft shocker in this class could be Stephen Hill, and I could possibly see him ending up in Jacksonville at number 7.

Woulnd't surprise me at all. Hills lack of production was more because of their offense.

Poes lack of production was because he isn't good at football.
Call me crazy, but I think Dwight Jones has a really good shot at not being drafted at all. Looking at the combine, and adding in Senior Bowl week, the guy looks slow, unathletic, unmotivated, and downright uninspired. Just flat out bizarre to me, but it is what it is.

As for Poe, I think he lands somewhere in the late teens, with someone completely enamored by his physical ability. I simply don't see a good football player on the field, He chases well in pursuit, but doesn't seem to have any football awareness skills. Add him to my All-Overrated Team with Zach Brown and Mike Adams. Me no likey!!

On the flipside, some of the underrated guys on my board are Brandon Thompson, who I think the 49ers will target at the end of round one, and Bobby Wagner, who was not able to compete at the combine due to pneumonia. Both players, ironically, should be working out tomorrow at Clemson's and Utah State's Pro-Day.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Engleburger:
I believe he had Bruce Campbell as a high pick too. Just another guy who only only looks at numbers and doesn't watch football.

I suggest you start reading Wes Buntings tweets and articles....but what do the guys who do this for a living know?
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,657
It doesn't matter how many times you edit your posts, it's obvious when you don't watch games.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I suggest you start reading Wes Buntings tweets and articles....what do the guys whobut do this for a living know?

If they think Dontari Poe is a good football player, they don't know that much and theres a reason they're on the internet and not working for an NFL team.

Went back and looked at a few of his last mock drafts. Had Bruce Campbell as a first rounder, just like I thought.
If NO loses it's 1st rd pick like there is rumors they might, does hill move up to 29th or are we taking Konz?