There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SFOUT's Post Combine Semi-Speculative Mock

• sfout
  • Veteran
After the news about Brooks re-signing and Goldson expecting the tag I thought it would be fun to be a little speculative with a couple things
1. Morgan walks
2. Rogers walks
3. Ginn walks
I think it could actually play out this way but like I said above I'm being pretty speculative with my free agency choices.

Re-signed:
Ahmad Brooks
Dashon Goldson
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
CJ Spillman
Tavares Gooden
Blake Costanzo
Larry Grant
Tramaine Brock
Will Tukuafu

Not Retained:
Carlos Rogers
Josh Morgan
Ted Ginn
Brett Swain
Madieu Williams
Justin Peele
Reggie Smith
Moran Norris
Chilo Rachal
Josh Morgan

Cut:
Shawntae Spencer
Anthony Dixon

Free Agency:
Chris Carr - Last year we targeted him before we signed Rogers, and I think Carr is best suited as Nickelback and special teams contributor. He could push Brock for the #3 CB and act as a veteran leader among our CBs. When the rookie CB I take is ready I see him over taking Carr as the #4 CB, whether that happens mid season or after would be the only question.

Marques Colston - Colston's ability to catch in traffic and his superb route running will instantly upgrade our passing game. Having Colston will immediately give us 3 viable threats with Davis, Crabtree, and Colston. Stephen Hill will only create more problems for opposing secondaries.

Draft:
1. Stephen Hill - WR - Georgia Tech - Hill's workouts and physical attributes have made him a 1st round talent but he will need to time adjust to the NFL. We can bring him in and bring him along slowly as a #3 or #4 WR while utilizing his deep threat ability on offense and his return ability in special teams and kick coverage.

2. Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State - Turbin's incredible combine has really boosted his stock from late 3rd, early 4th round up to late 2nd early 3rd. He's probably the 6th or 7th best back in the draft but is a true "North and South, 1 cut" guy that Harbaugh wants. His excellent vision and body control really give him the edge in the open field.

3. Josh Robinson CB - Central Florida - What a combine for this guy, arguably nobody else did more to their stock in Indy then Robinson did. He's risen 3 or 4 rounds after wowing the crowd in Indy. His speed and recovery skills will really help him early on in the developmental phases but he will contribute immediately on special teams.

4. Miles Burres - OLB - San Diego State - Burres is another great motor kind of player that could do well when called on early in his career and possible do well as situational pass rusher, ideally he would only see the field on 3rd down early on.

5. DeVier Posey - WR - Ohio State - Posey's character is the biggest question mark going into the draft, I personally don't see any issues with selling the gear for tattoos but it was a violation of NCAA rules. Posey is incredibly durable and very productive, he also ran a lot better then expected at a flat 4.50.

6. Drake Dunsmore - TE - Northwestern - A "Do It All" guy for Pat Fitzgerald's Wildcats, Dunsmore lined up at WR, TE, FB and probably even T, much like Delanie Walker has done for us. Dunsmore however is much more physical imposing then Walker and just as athletic. With Moran Norris on the way out Harbaugh will be looking for another player with a versatile skill set to allow for the chance to run the 3 or 4 TE sets he loves.

7. Sean Richardson - S - Vanderbilt - I've been set on us taking a flier on Richardson for months now. He has above average movement and control and has great closing speed for a safety, he could develop into a great player but he is another player able to contribute immediately on special teams.

Quick Look Depth Chart:
Crabtree, Colston, Hill, Posey, Williams/Bogan/Matthews
Brown, Culliver, Brock, Carr, Robinson
Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Robert Turbin
Ahmad Brooks, Miles Burres
Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Drake Dunsmore, Nate Byham/Konrad Reuland
Dashon Goldson, Mark Legree, Sean Richardson

Review:
I tried to be realistic with the signings of Colston and Carr but was just having fun with the idea of not re-signing Rogers, Morgan, or Ginn more then anything. I really do think that Rogers might find more money elsewhere, Morgan might even be pulled to Jacksonville or another WR desperate team, Ginn has value as return man but I really dont want him back strictly from an offensive standpoint and this was my solution to all 3 departures.

Comments and Criticism are welcome
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Whats up with posey because I saw a mock this morning that had us taking him at 30

I like the carr signing. You think culliver would fare well as a fulltime starter?
You lost me at Ginn walks. We NEED GINN! Go back and watch the NFC Championship game and tell me which team is in the Super Bowl if Ginn is starting?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Whats up with posey because I saw a mock this morning that had us taking him at 30

I like the carr signing. You think culliver would fare well as a fulltime starter?

LOL!?!? You seriously saw mock with Posey going in the 1st round? Are they on crack? Dude has been a day 3 pick for entire season since he got suspended, if he didn't have that amazing workout at the combine I wouldn't be shocked if he was 7th rounder but I think he is well worth a 5th round pick when you look at his skill.

I do personally think Cully could start next year, he would get exposed at times but our system is set up to reduce the margin for error in our CB play. Cully's strengths from what I could see last season was man to man and holding tight to a WR, with a safety over top I could see him getting the job done. He just needs to learn when to play the ball rather than the WR.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You lost me at Ginn walks. We NEED GINN! Go back and watch the NFC Championship game and tell me which team is in the Super Bowl if Ginn is starting?

man you are on crack, if we had any half-a** KR back their instead of Williams we would've been in the SB, whether is was Ginn, Reggie Smith, or Kendall Hunter. If you had read you would have seen that I was entertaining the idea of Ginn, Morgan and Rogers all walking and I wanted to find a solution for them.

Ginn's value as an ST member is incredibly enormous but we can't justify having a KR only on our roster, we'd have to cut either Costanzo, Gooden or Jones loose for that to happen and I dont see that because.
1. Costanzo is Seely's guy
2. We actually tried to trade something for Gooden
3. We drafted Jones last year.
Originally posted by sfout:

man you are on crack, if we had any half-a** KR back their instead of Williams we would've been in the SB, whether is was Ginn, Reggie Smith, or Kendall Hunter. If you had read you would have seen that I was entertaining the idea of Ginn, Morgan and Rogers all walking and I wanted to find a solution for them.

Ginn's value as an ST member is incredibly enormous but we can't justify having a KR only on our roster, we'd have to cut either Costanzo, Gooden or Jones loose for that to happen and I dont see that because.

We pay him as a high end return man and keep him (GINN). That's the solution. He can be our 5th WR also. Not much higher than that though.
Why the hell do be CONTINUE to underrate Teddy Ginn.... Our offense sucks dick and he got us in great field position most of the time. He's one of the best returners in the league... you don't just let that walk der
Love this scenario. But would try to more adequately replace Ginn with that 6th rounder instead of taking another TE.

I think if Fleener isn't the pick in the first, we might not go TE at all. I like both Byham and Reuland and would hope they see more playing time. Fleener is unique in that he offers great size and knowledge of the offense, so outside of him, I dont see a TE in the 6th contributing as much as a returner.

Then again, I dont know who that player would be considering you added guys at CB and WR. I wouldn't want somebody to be strictly a return man either.

Good job though, really like this one alot
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Why the hell do be CONTINUE to underrate Teddy Ginn.... Our offense sucks dick and he got us in great field position most of the time. He's one of the best returners in the league... you don't just let that walk der

Yeah I know. But people still don't get it. He'd be one of the priority FA's if you ask me. He's hugely important to this team.
this is very realistic
if we let rogers walk id rather sign a better replacement than chris carr.

idk why...but i see Stephen Hilll have BUST written all over him
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah I know. But people still don't get it. He'd be one of the priority FA's if you ask me. He's hugely important to this team.

His value is his returns. He's not much of a WR, but he'll be asking for WR money. That could be a sticking point.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:07 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

His value is his returns, he not much of a WR, but he's asking for WR money.

Nobody will pay him to be a WR. He will get high end return man money. Which is what he is. But he should get it HERE rather than for another team. We need returns and special teams more than most teams. We rely on our defense and special teams. That phase of the game is hugely important to us.
Originally posted by sfout:

Your reason's don't hold much water.
1. Ok I'll give you this one.
2. We traded for Ginn so....
3. We drafted him late. It's common to cut late rounders.

You say we can't justify having a KR only on the roster but yet we can justify having Costanzo, Jones, & Gooden on the roster who only plays special teams? You people have short memories, just 2 years ago everyone of us complained about not having a decent KR guy on the team and how special teams was costing us the game. We finally get one and now we don't want to resign him?

But I do like your draft. I'm not sure if we pick up Hill that early but that maybe the only time we can get him.
Love it, Colston, my draft crush Hill, rounds 1-4 are perfect. Only thing is I'd try to get some OL help in rounds 5-7.