LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

SFOUT's Post Combine Semi-Speculative Mock

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You lost me at Ginn walks. We NEED GINN! Go back and watch the NFC Championship game and tell me which team is in the Super Bowl if Ginn is starting?

man you are on crack, if we had any half-a** KR back their instead of Williams we would've been in the SB, whether is was Ginn, Reggie Smith, or Kendall Hunter. If you had read you would have seen that I was entertaining the idea of Ginn, Morgan and Rogers all walking and I wanted to find a solution for them.

Ginn's value as an ST member is incredibly enormous but we can't justify having a KR only on our roster, we'd have to cut either Costanzo, Gooden or Jones loose for that to happen and I dont see that because.
1. Costanzo is Seely's guy
2. We actually tried to trade something for Gooden
3. We drafted Jones last year.

he's also a wr

you cray
I like it all to tell you the truth. I'm not sure Turbin is worth a 2nd but I realize he is rising up the board
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Why the hell do be CONTINUE to underrate Teddy Ginn.... Our offense sucks dick and he got us in great field position most of the time. He's one of the best returners in the league... you don't just let that walk der

Read the post lol. I like Ginn as return man but unless he will come back for $2-3M a year there is no way we keep him. He was obviously detrimental to our passing game with his inconsistant hands and he was also part of our widespread problem of not getting separation. Bottom line is I blatantly said I was having some speculative fun with the idea that we lose both of our FA WRs and Rogers. Quit getting all angry that I said he wouldn't be re-signed in a mock draft because I wanted to find a way to imrpove our WRs and still find a viable KR(Josh Robinson, Chris Carr, Stephen Hill, etc)

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
if we let rogers walk id rather sign a better replacement than chris carr.

idk why...but i see Stephen Hilll have BUST written all over him

According to our FO we have 3 starting caliber players on our roster in Brown, Culliver, and Brock. Carr would push both Cully and Brock for more playing time and act as a leader. Our defensive scheme is built to make players better(see Rogers' 8 career INTs before 2011, then 6 INTs in 2011), Goldson was even given more room to roam and had a career year on the backend.

Originally posted by mayo49:
His value is his returns. He's not much of a WR, but he'll be asking for WR money. That could be a sticking point.

Thank you Mayo, seriously I dont understand why people can't see this but like I said above I was just entertaining the idea that Ginn walks. By the way everyone I'm a big Ted Ginn supporter and wish he would play as a better WR because I would hate to lose him but if it comes down to it I could see someone thowing boatloads of cash at him because they think he could be their savior.

Originally posted by miked1978:
Your reason's don't hold much water.
1. Ok I'll give you this one.
2. We traded for Ginn so....
3. We drafted him late. It's common to cut late rounders.

You say we can't justify having a KR only on the roster but yet we can justify having Costanzo, Jones, & Gooden on the roster who only plays special teams? You people have short memories, just 2 years ago everyone of us complained about not having a decent KR guy on the team and how special teams was costing us the game. We finally get one and now we don't want to resign him?

But I do like your draft. I'm not sure if we pick up Hill that early but that maybe the only time we can get him.

Every team typically has 3 or 4 ST only players: which in our case was Costanzo, Gooden and Jones, I just dont see us getting read of very recent acquisitions to appease a 1 trick pony like Ginn(if he is over valuing himself), I love him as return man and want him back(see above quote that I have been cheering for Gin since he got here, I wish he would be a #3 WR but I know I'm kidding myself)

Yea I personally dont think Hill is a true 1st rounder yet, I've seen talking head/"expert" talk that he is still in the 2nd round range(along with other "experts" like Kiper saying he is an option for as #30 after the combine) but I think when he duplicates his 40 time at his pro-day he will definitely be a viable option at 30.

Originally posted by domesik:
Love it, Colston, my draft crush Hill, rounds 1-4 are perfect. Only thing is I'd try to get some OL help in rounds 5-7.

Yea I wanted to find a OL but I dont think we really have need for it. JH uses the practice squad like an extension of the active roster, I'm sure if Goodwin got hurt with a high ankle sprain, Snyder would kick in to center, Kilgore would start at RG and Beeler would be brought up as a backup.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
he's also a wr

you cray

A WR that drops balls more then he catches them, also see my above post that he was part of our massive problem of not getting separation on routes or getting open when plays were extended by Alex. I'm beating a dead horse here that I am a big time Ginn supporter but the bottom line is that as much as I love the guy on kick returns I am sick and tired of watching our WRs suck, we can find another great return man but we need to upgrade our WRs. But again to stress this I bet Ginn comes back, I was just having fun with the idea that both our FA WRs walk and so does Rogers.

Originally posted by davidboutte:
I like it all to tell you the truth. I'm not sure Turbin is worth a 2nd but I realize he is rising up the board

Gratze, yea I dont know why everyone on here is rating him as such a low draft pick(rounds 4-6), he received a 3rd round grade from the board and IMO him and Doug Martin have both done wonders to their stock(talking head/"expert" talk agrees with my opinion at this point that they are early 3rd round possibly 2nd round prospects ATM) during the workouts so I could see them going off the board before LaMichael James or Isiah Pead based off of size, production and workouts(Much like what happened to send Kendall Hunter from a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade all the way to us in the 4th last year).

I think Turbin will go in the 3rd when all is said and done but picking at the end of the rounds gives us the ability to reach ever so slightly into those first 5-10 picks in the next round if we really like the guy.

---

Thank you for opinions everyone
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM ]
Realistic except for the Colston signing.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Why? We'd have the cap space for it. I know I'm the one who started the "9ers will not spend big money on out FA" thread but 1 WR on a contract worth $8-10M(o feel like like over estimating) a year average is pretty doable if you ask me. Especially when we will not be re-signing the likes of Morgan or Ginn(would probably require a 5 or 6M total price tag for 2012 to retain them), then factor in a outside signing like Robert Meachem and you at or above the same price tag for Colston. Spending an extra $8-10M on a true solution for WR plus spending next to nothing on 2 draft picks really a better solution for us.

Also a interesting development this morning, Brent Grimes is going to be franchised, thus driving up Roger's market value ever so slightly.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM ]

Why? We'd have the cap space for it. I know I'm the one who started the "9ers will not spend big money on out FA" thread but 1 WR on a contract worth $8-10M(o feel like like over estimating) a year average is pretty doable if you ask me. Especially when we will not be re-signing the likes of Morgan or Ginn(would probably require a 5 or 6M total price tag for 2012 to retain them), then factor in a outside signing like Robert Meachem and you at or above the same price tag for Colston. Spending an extra $8-10M on a true solution for WR plus spending next to nothing on 2 draft picks really a better solution for us.

Also a interesting development this morning, Brent Grimes is going to be franchised, thus driving up Roger's market value ever so slightly.

The reason why I don't think it's very realistic is because Colston is not necessarily the type of WR we should spend big money on. His route running ability is limited and IMO was just a product of the system with the Saints. He runs deep and plays jump ball. That's pretty much it. If we're going to spend big money on a WR (which I am still against), I'd go for Vincent Jackson.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Colston is ok but you act like if he comes to the 9ers he's gonna have the same 80 catch 1,000 yard year he had at NO won't happen in this offense
Talk about Ginn dropping passes from 2008-2010 Colston dropped 30 passes 3rd most in the NFL that's not good
Colston is ok but you act like if he comes to the 9ers he's gonna have the same 80 catch 1,000 yard year he had at NO won't happen in this offense
Talk about Ginn dropping passes from 2008-2010 Colston dropped 30 passes 3rd most in the NFL that's not good

considering how much NO passes thats not bad

i would like to see drop % much more telling
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

considering how much NO passes thats not bad

i would like to see drop % much more telling
08-10
Colston 12% 7th worst
DeSean Jackson 12.21% 5th worst

Braylon Edwards 14.72% worst

• sfout
  • Veteran
The reason why I don't think it's very realistic is because Colston is not necessarily the type of WR we should spend big money on. His route running ability is limited and IMO was just a product of the system with the Saints. He runs deep and plays jump ball. That's pretty much it. If we're going to spend big money on a WR (which I am still against), I'd go for Vincent Jackson.

Agreed, either way insert VJAX or Colston into my plan and I'm one happy camper.

Brees threw 1700 passes in that span(I'd like to see the drop % from the entire team during that span), Colston caught 191 passes in that span, dropping 30 over that span equates to "dropping" 1 out of every 7 passes thrown his way. In his limited playing time, Ginn's hands were far more inconsistant that that, and if you were going to target Colston's catching ability I would like to see the stats on his drops throughout his entire career. Also "drops" are vague stat with multiple outlets having varying definitions on it so unless you got it from NFL.com or the Saints website I dont put a lot of stock in that.

I dont think he would come in and have 80 catches and 1000 yards but Crabtree had 75 catches and 900 yards so asking Colston/VJAX to come in and have equally similar success is not far fetched at all. Asking Colston/VJAX to come into a scheme in which our #1 TE would post 1K yards, our #1(Crabtree) post roughly 800-900 yards, Colston should be able to put up 800+ yards easily. Our confection of #2's Williams, Morgan, Edwards, Ginn posted a stat line of 69 receptions for 800 yards. I'd like to think Colston or VJAX could do that by himself, with a #3 Rookie like Hill or Posey able to contribute when needed.

EDIT: thank you for posting the % but my above point still stands.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Agreed, either way insert VJAX or Colston into my plan and I'm one happy camper.

Brees threw 1700 passes in that span(I'd like to see the drop % from the entire team during that span), Colston caught 191 passes in that span, dropping 30 over that span equates to "dropping" 1 out of every 7 passes thrown his way. In his limited playing time, Ginn's hands were far more inconsistant that that, and if you were going to target Colston's catching ability I would like to see the stats on his drops throughout his entire career. Also "drops" are vague stat with multiple outlets having varying definitions on it so unless you got it from NFL.com or the Saints website I dont put a lot of stock in that.

I dont think he would come in and have 80 catches and 1000 yards but Crabtree had 75 catches and 900 yards so asking Colston/VJAX to come in and have equally similar success is not far fetched at all. Asking Colston/VJAX to come into a scheme in which our #1 TE would post 1K yards, our #1(Crabtree) post roughly 800-900 yards, Colston should be able to put up 800+ yards easily. Our confection of #2's Williams, Morgan, Edwards, Ginn posted a stat line of 69 receptions for 800 yards. I'd like to think Colston or VJAX could do that by himself, with a #3 Rookie like Hill or Posey able to contribute when needed.

EDIT: thank you for posting the % but my above point still stands.
Morgan would have done that had he not broke his ankle
Culliver and Brock got burned all year !!! i dont know which games some of you have watched last year..!!,, Neither is ready to start.. And Brown should be a nickleback..
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Morgan would have done that had he not broke his ankle

Yep :/ damn freak accident tackles.....Morgan put up his stats during the same time that Edwards was miraculously able to post his so you could have definitely just transplanted Edwards' stats right into Morgans. As much as I am just doing this mock out of curiosity I am genuinely worried that Morgan could walk.

Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Culliver and Brock got burned all year !!! i dont know which games some of you have watched last year..!!,, Neither is ready to start.. And Brown should be a nickleback..

thanks for copying and pasting the exact same post from another thread. Cully was rookie and did more good then bad, Brock is a question mark but he also showed flashes. No matter your opinion the possibility of Rogers walking just increased this morning, Brent Grimes is going to get franchised in ATL and drive up the market for Carr, Finnegan, and Rogers.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]
great mock

i wont be upset if we lose ginn. he has great value in the return game, but as far as WR goes he is a #4 WR imo. if he takes KR/PR money i would love to have him back, but i doubt he wants that. i would rather have morgan back.
Share 49ersWebzone