LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Kendall Wright's poor 40 due to bad track stance?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Dude is fast on the field, i hope this makes him fall to us

we don't need another 5'10" WR.

GIMME HILL!
We will need one once we cut Kyle Williams, duh.

I want Hill too but I think he will be gone before we pick

lol KW ain't going no where. If anything, he wont be returning kicks anymore. He's done nothing at WR to even consider moving down the depth chart, let alone, be cut.

GIMME HILL!

lol KW ain't going no where. If anything, he wont be returning kicks anymore. He's done nothing at WR to even consider moving down the depth chart, let alone, be cut.

He was the our 5th WR when the season started and only played because of injuries, dude is definitely gonna have to compete for his spot on the team next year
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
This is what bugs me about the combine, IMO if you really want to know how fast the guy will be on the football field you should have each player start in as close to the real pre-snap stance they use on the field.

WRs standing up one foot behind the other
RBs flatfooted shoulder width apart
DL one hand in the dirt and leaning on their toes
etc

the fact that we have them starting at a stance that is totally irrelevant to football only increases the disparity between the trackstar athletes and the football players.

I have been saying for some time now that they need to have a simulated game time for each drill. It would give a much fairer indication of speed. Line up a wideout outside the hashes, in full pads and helmet, and let them run a route from the standard WR LOS position in a down, set, hike countdown. You can have them run a Go route, or a ten yard slant.

In the same way, RB's should run in pads and helmet, starting with hands on knees, 6 yards behind the LOS, through a gauntlet of defenders. This is a much better judge of speed. They can pick the ball through a machine after the ball is "snapped".

Honestly, I judge two things at the combine more valuable than anything else in an evaluation. I want to see the 10-yard split, which shows the initial burst of explosiveness. I also think the cone drill shows exceptional ability to quickly bend, turn and explode.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by sfout:
This is what bugs me about the combine, IMO if you really want to know how fast the guy will be on the football field you should have each player start in as close to the real pre-snap stance they use on the field.

WRs standing up one foot behind the other
RBs flatfooted shoulder width apart
DL one hand in the dirt and leaning on their toes
etc

the fact that we have them starting at a stance that is totally irrelevant to football only increases the disparity between the trackstar athletes and the football players.

I have been saying for some time now that they need to have a simulated game time for each drill. It would give a much fairer indication of speed. Line up a wideout outside the hashes, in full pads and helmet, and let them run a route from the standard WR LOS position in a down, set, hike countdown. You can have them run a Go route, or a ten yard slant.

In the same way, RB's should run in pads and helmet, starting with hands on knees, 6 yards behind the LOS, through a gauntlet of defenders. This is a much better judge of speed. They can pick the ball through a machine after the ball is "snapped".

Honestly, I judge two things at the combine more valuable than anything else in an evaluation. I want to see the 10-yard split, which shows the initial burst of explosiveness. I also think the cone drill shows exceptional ability to quickly bend, turn and explode.

I would also like to see DBs have to run a 30 yard dash starting from a backwards position and not being allowed to turn until they pass the 10 yard mark. Again in full gear.

Actually everything other than weigh in and benchpress should be in full gear.
Bench Press is also not a great thing to test for. It only has some relevance to football.....perhaps for blocking and resisting blocks, but that's it. It's functionality is limited much like the 40 yard dash is.

However, squat and deadlift are more important factors for strength. At max loads these are very intense exercises, but at a fixed weight for reps (just like bench press), not such a big deal. Say 315# for squat, and 375# for deadlift.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Mario Manningham timed just as poorly at the combine...I think things have worked out well for him.

And Wright is a much better player and prospect than he was, too.
I hope he falls to us!

GIMME HILL!

You're right he's done nothing at WR. That is a legitimate reason for the 9ers to cut him. Not a bad 4th or 5th receiver
[ Edited by YungAce on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM ]
I wonder how many picks he drops because of the poor 40 time. I hope a good deal, because I would love to see the niners trade up to get this guy.

GIMME HILL!

+1 Need some size plus speed. A cornerback's nightmare

Originally posted by kronik:

wouldnt mind hill one bit

but wright will make more of an immeadiete impact in the slot he will be the answer to our 3rd down problems as he is the guy who will be a mismatch because of his speed(victor cruz) also a very adaequate deep threat and will strech the field

i would love hill but he will require a year of grooming
I know alot of people bring up Rice's 4.6 forty time but if you ask Gil Brandt he had him at 4.45.

There's occassions were it is indeed nothing more than a bad stance. Wright's 4.45 and 4.51 non official times are probally more reflective of his true speed.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM ]
Do we want Kendall Wright? I'd almost rather have a big receiver with speed like hill or streeter.

The Kendall Wright fans is he really that dominant?
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Do we want Kendall Wright? I'd almost rather have a big receiver with speed like hill or streeter.

The Kendall Wright fans is he really that dominant?

He has better speed than his 40 indicates, gets open deep consistently, and runs routes really well. I really like his game for the most part. I'd take him at 30.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by kronik:

wouldnt mind hill one bit

but wright will make more of an immeadiete impact in the slot he will be the answer to our 3rd down problems as he is the guy who will be a mismatch because of his speed(victor cruz) also a very adaequate deep threat and will strech the field

i would love hill but he will require a year of grooming

Either one is fine with me.

People overrate size sometimes, if a guy is athletic enough to jump ball as well as Kendall does it he's going to beat most corners anyway. Hill vert jumped 39.5 and he's got a 7 inch advantage on Kendall, Kendall jumped only 1 inch less at 38.5".

The thing we need is a guy with great hands who can break for yardage after the catch. Wright is the more polished route runner and one of the best after the catch, Hill the better blocker(because he did more blocking in his run-oriented offense and because he's bigger).

If I'm wanting the guy who'd make the biggest impact next year, I'd go Wright for sure. But I think Hill will be great in a couple seasons, also will make an impact in the redzone next year just due to his size, and will probably have a few highlight plays going long. But in our WCO style, a polished route runner with great hands and freaky athleticism like Wright would give us a lot of creative options. He can do slants, more complex routes, fades, whatever. So not only can he "go long", but he can threaten in the slot in whatever kind of plays we design.
Share 49ersWebzone