LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Kendall Wright's poor 40 due to bad track stance?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Crabtree prior to the draft...

Player Comparison: Larry Fitzgerald. You would think Fitz and Crabtree would be brothers based on their similar frames. Both receivers have a knack for getting the football at its apex on jump balls and making the circus catch.

lol what similar frame?

doesn't larry have like 3 inches and 20 pounds on him

2 inches and 4lbs

not the point saying any guy should be drafted because he compares to this guy or that guy is dumb because every player is different.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Dude is fast on the field, i hope this makes him fall to us

we don't need another 5'10" WR.

GIMME HILL!
We will need one once we cut Kyle Williams, duh.

I want Hill too but I think he will be gone before we pick

Don't say that!

I'm preparing for that as well.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
40 times are fkn stupid. IMO, have them put on pads and run a double move corner route. Time that for every receiver.

Yeah, remember Taylor Mays' forty time? Useless.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Taylor Mays was fast
Originally posted by dhp318:

Taylor Mays was fast

Taylor Mays was stiff as hell and sucked though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by dhp318:

Taylor Mays was fast

Taylor Mays was stiff as hell and sucked though.

It wasn't because he lacked speed, there was never any doubt he was one of the fastest players on the field. Problem was he was stiff as f**k and not a good player at all.

If I had to name a defensive player that is this years Taylor Mays it would be Zach Brown of North Carolina. I've never seen a LB so often literally run himself OUT of a play, lol.
Mel Kiper Jr. ‏ @MelKiperESPN
Overlooked (not by the NFL) with the negative talk about WR Kendall Wright's 40 at the combine is the FACT that he ran 4.41 in the spring
Mel Kiper Jr. ‏ @MelKiperESPN
Overlooked (not by the NFL) with the negative talk about WR Kendall Wright's 40 at the combine is the FACT that he ran 4.41 in the spring

And who timed the 4.41?
Dude is fast on the field, i hope this makes him fall to us

Crabtree looked fast on the field in college too. There will be teams that reach hard for a few of these WR's and I hope we're not one of them.
Originally posted by sfout:
This is what bugs me about the combine, IMO if you really want to know how fast the guy will be on the football field you should have each player start in as close to the real pre-snap stance they use on the field.

WRs standing up one foot behind the other
RBs flatfooted shoulder width apart
DL one hand in the dirt and leaning on their toes
etc

the fact that we have them starting at a stance that is totally irrelevant to football only increases the disparity between the trackstar athletes and the football players.

RBs should have two times:
1. Get handoff and explode up the middle
2. Get handoff sweep and turn the corner

Originally posted by NinerG94:
Crabtree looked fast on the field in college too. There will be teams that reach hard for a few of these WR's and I hope we're not one of them.

uh no he didnt

his biggest knock was speed and seperation and wright isnt a reach

he was considered a top 10 pick and top 15 lock before the combine
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
And who timed the 4.41?

Running a 4.41 on a different track is misleading. There's so many factors that could enhance that number. I tend to take the hand timings at the combine as his true speed. Between 4.45 and 4.51. At 5'11 196 pounds that's enough speed to get it done and we know he plays that fast in pads too.

The one problem I have with him is I don't like Big 12 receivers. Good Youtube videos generally not the receiver they were in college. It's spread offense and bad defense.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Running a 4.41 on a different track is misleading. There's so many factors that could enhance that number. I tend to take the hand timings at the combine as his true speed. Between 4.45 and 4.51. At 5'11 196 pounds that's enough speed to get it done and we know he plays that fast in pads too.

The one problem I have with him is I don't like Big 12 receivers. Good Youtube videos generally not the receiver they were in college. It's spread offense and bad defense.

hes not like crabtree

he relies on speed to get separation which is definitely plentiful

abd who cares what track he runs on

on every football field he ran in he was the fastest player on the field
hes not like crabtree

Clearly in Indy he wasn't, and he will be going through Indy more often then Baylor now. On a level playing field he was out done. Not that his 40 is the most important thing but having all the guys run in 1 place means more to me then running on a school track. Indy is the closest thing to measurable neutrality at this point.
hes not like crabtree

He is like Crabtree in that he plays in a system that gets the ball into his hands primarily thru alot of bubble screens hence the inflated receptions. He's like Crabtree in that he's played in a horrible defensive conference that often puts out overrated receivers. I admit he's got decent speed but his route running didn't look that impressive at the Combine.

The point on the track is simple. 4.41 at one track could possibly translate to 4.45 at the combine. I don't think he's as fast as you think he is. He's fast enough though and I stated that in my post. You brought up comparisions to Greg Jennings before. Jennings was a 4.46. I think that's a pretty fair comparision the question becomes is he as fluid as Jennings is at route running? That remains to be seen.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone