LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

McShay on the Wr's in this draft

Nothing about Michael Floyd? I thought I heard his 40 was good and he has great hands IMO. Niners will trade up to get an offensive weapon in the draft. Maybe not in the 1st round but they have traded up the past 2 years. I think when you are rebuilding a team, it's easier to target specific players that fit your scheme and then you go and get them. The offense was pretty decent but the passing weapons have to be addressed. They will make a list of the guys that fit their offense and then see whats starts to happen come draft day. If those guys start to get taken then they will trade up, if not then we can probably stand pat #30 and pick the right guy.
Originally posted by sfout:
lol I posted this in the Niner WR thread too. I think its refreshing to this though, instead of the on-air espn stupidity when he says stuff like "blackmon is the best WR since CJ" just to creat good tv.

I completely agree, at the moment Blackmon looks at best another Crabtree or Dez Bryant, he isn't CJ or AJ Green(based solely on his rookie year).

I don't see any wr that I like (without doubts). I think the niners are going FA in the draft, then take one in the 2nd or third, then one in the seventh or free agency. Sometimes people are too stuck on the niners having to get the player in the first round or second and if they don't that the person they pick up can't contribute right away.

When we drafted Crabtree I had my doubts and still do. The reason is because he came from a system. OS has shown us Dez and now Blackmon. Not saying they can't be productive, but not worth a top ten.

Wouldn't be surprised if the niners draft Colby instead then go wr, followed by a pass rush linebacker as I suspect niners won't be resigning Brookes.

Harbaugh will have to trust Baalke (and don't trust our wr coaches endorsement). Critical is who we manage to resign and sign during FA as that will definately dictate our draft.

Best scenario drop back in the draft say the 3rd or 4th pick in the 2nd round and whatever is the equivalent. use the extra picks to either move up in the 2nd with our original 2nd rounder and or third.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've been saying the same stuff for awhile. None of the top WR's are particularly impressive. You're just as likely to do well with a guy like McNutt or Marvin Jones later on in the draft. Several of the top guys have separation issues, Wright to me has been the most impressive but now people are down on him because of the 40 he ran, and then you have several projects like Streeter and Hill and sleeper type guys like Quick. I really like Fleener a lot but I'm down for BPA, regardless of whether it's a CB, OLB.......etc.

I would MUCH rather get Fleener in round 1, a DE/OLB in round 2 or CB depending on FA and need, and in rounds 3 and 4 get two WR's, one in Marvin Jones and another receiver.

Spread out the risk in WR's. Two draft picks means you have a better probability of hitting on one. Remember when the niners picked JJ Stokes in round 1 and Terrel Owens in round 3 or 4( cannot remember) after just a week of practice Steve Young when asked about his new target JJ Stokes said all I can say we got this kid from a small school named Terrel Owens, he is going to be special.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I would MUCH rather get Fleener in round 1, a DE/OLB in round 2 or CB depending on FA and need, and in rounds 3 and 4 get two WR's, one in Marvin Jones and another receiver.

Spread out the risk in WR's. Two draft picks means you have a better probability of hitting on one. Remember when the niners picked JJ Stokes in round 1 and Terrel Owens in round 3 or 4( cannot remember) after just a week of practice Steve Young when asked about his new target JJ Stokes said all I can say we got this kid from a small school named Terrel Owens, he is going to be special.

I wouldn't mind this scenario a bit, maybe another one in the 7th also.
I think FA WR and not for major $. Maybe Meecham. I don't see Reggie Wayne - too old. Last year we got a lot faster and I think that trend continues.

Trade back w/either Skins or Miami.

Draft BPA - CB or definitely Fleener if he is there, probably RG like Brandon Brooks - although a round too high fro him.

2nd second round pick maybe McNutt or OLB? Too hard to even guess until FA is settled.

One thing for sure, Baalke/JH will do the smart thing in both FA and draft.
Theres only one opinion that matters. In Baalke I trust.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think FA WR and not for major $. Maybe Meecham. I don't see Reggie Wayne - too old. Last year we got a lot faster and I think that trend continues.

Trade back w/either Skins or Miami.

Draft BPA - CB or definitely Fleener if he is there, probably RG like Brandon Brooks - although a round too high fro him.

2nd second round pick maybe McNutt or OLB? Too hard to even guess until FA is settled.

One thing for sure, Baalke/JH will do the smart thing in both FA and draft.

i dont think any CB is worth a first round pick

especially when we could get heyward later in draft

1st pick should be offensive wepaon if TE then get marvin jones in 2nd round

if 1st pick is WR get OLB or CB in 2nd round

at least thats how i would do it
Interesting to see no negativity on Kendall Wright.

Anyone that has seen Wright play knows he was open almost every play even when he wasn't getting the ball. He scorched corners all over the field. I think his unofficial time of 4.45 is much closer to reality than that 4.61 "officially" given to him.

Wes Welker is far from a slow receiver, yet only timed a 4.61 I believe.
i actually agree...weak class
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I agree that there aren't really a lot of superstars, or surefire long term starters. But this draft is full of early round talent.

Outside of Blackmon, there really isn't much separating the consensus 1st round - early 2nd round WRs.

Wright, Sanu, Floyd, Hill, Jeffrey, etc. They may play a different style game, but they can all impact the game equally. Each of them can be a better pro than the other.

• fan49
  • Veteran

whats with everyone on fleeners nuts, i think allen and green are more athletic. is it just that he played for JH and stanford. Remember he did have the best qb in years throwing to him.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
whats with everyone on fleeners nuts, i think allen and green are more athletic. is it just that he played for JH and stanford. Remember he did have the best qb in years throwing to him.

I don't know much about Fleener, or the other TEs. If he is on the team, I hope he lives up to the hype created here. But I think a great deal of the hype stems from him being a Bay Area kid. Not that he isn't a legit late first/early second guy. But if we were in the Carolinas, there would be more hype on this board about the Clemson kid. Just the way fans work.

For the same reason, I try not to enter Marvin Jones discussions. He may be a good pro, but the Bay Area thing adds a bit too much to him around these parts.

Happens every year.
Originally posted by fan49:

i kind if think that ladarius green, say in rd 3, can do all for the niners that fleener could
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Interesting to see no negativity on Kendall Wright.

Anyone that has seen Wright play knows he was open almost every play even when he wasn't getting the ball. He scorched corners all over the field. I think his unofficial time of 4.45 is much closer to reality than that 4.61 "officially" given to him.

Wes Welker is far from a slow receiver, yet only timed a 4.61 I believe.

I agree this is the guy I think I want the most in the draft. I think he just has that "it" factor

To me 40 times dont mean s**t I like to look at the film like Sing and if the guy is CONSTANTLY getting open and getting yac hes obviously fast enough
well hakeem nicks and kenny britt turned out better than crabtree and dhb, so anything can happen
Share 49ersWebzone