LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Robert Turbin

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
he looks good...wouldnt mind spending a draft pick on him. what round is he projected to go in now that he ran a 4.44?

his initial grade was a 3rd rounder, even with a torn acl in 2010, so you'd have to figure that after the combine he has completely solidified that grrade if not done wonders to his stock.

5th in the 40 @ 4.50
tied for 1st(with dough martin, another riser) in the bench press @ 28
tied for 6th in the high jump @ 36
3rd in the broad jump @ 122"
15th in the 3 cone drill @ 7.16
tied 14th in the 20 yard shuttle @ 4.31
did not run in the 60 yard shuttle

I'd expect the middle of the pack times on the cone drills and shuttles but the other numbers are top 5 RB.

IMO him and Doug Martin and Chris Polk will be competing to be the 4th RB off the board after Richardson, Miller and Wilson. Probably go somewhere in the middle 2nd to middle 3rd.

The wildcards of LaMichael James, Isiah Pead and Ronnie Hillman could make pushes but I think their size will push them down into the 3rd or 4th round range.

My RB "Big Board"
1st round
1. Trent Richardson
2. Lamar Miller
2nd round - 3rd round
3. David Wilson
4. Robert Turbin
5. Chris Polk
6. Dough Martin
3rd round - 5th round
7. Isiah Pead
8. LaMichael James
9. Ronnie Hillman
10. Bernard Pierce

I never heard of Turbin, but I like his build and speed. Also has a very humble attitude, which I'm all about. Its funny, I really like the 3 you listed in the 2nd/3rd... Ronnie Hillman is another to watch.

I'd go Martin, Polk, and Turbin.

Zoner's need to understand HOW BADLY, we need to draft a RB. We have been so lucky that Gore has remained pretty healthy and the emergence of Hunter. Dixon is not a feature back. He has a great team attitude but isn't a 100% dedicated to the preparation needed to succeed in the NFL, he enjoys the lifestyle and females too much.

We will need to spend a 3rd/4th rounder on a RB with size and ability to spell Gore and keep Hunter healthy and fresh.
Just read the article about this kid in the Mercury News, he sounds like a Harbaugh-type. After watching his you tube videos I think he may a brilliant fit for us. Apparently his pass-blocking isn't quite up to par yet, but what college RB can say that they're ready to pass block in the NFL? Good thing we have an OUTSTANDING RB's coach who can help this kid get to where he needs to be. GO NINERS!!!
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
would take in the 3rd
not sure if hed be there
we may have to move up a little in the third to get him but good chance he'll be there.
Bring him home.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by irishluder:
I never heard of Turbin, but I like his build and speed. Also has a very humble attitude, which I'm all about. Its funny, I really like the 3 you listed in the 2nd/3rd... Ronnie Hillman is another to watch.

Zoner's need to understand HOW BADLY, we need to draft a RB. We have been so lucky that Gore has remained pretty healthy and the emergence of Hunter. Dixon is not a feature back. He has a great team attitude but isn't a 100% dedicated to the preparation needed to succeed in the NFL, he enjoys the lifestyle and females too much.

We will need to spend a 3rd/4th rounder on a RB with size and ability to spell Gore and keep Hunter healthy and fresh.

Yea was my personal rankings :D but I agree no one on here understands the need we have at RB, If Gore goes down for a 2 or 3 game stretch, will Kendall have to run 20-25 a game? Or will we just go super pass happy? Dixon is not capable of running 15-20+x a game to keep Kendall at his usual 10-15, IMO If he stays on the team I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon gets relegated to ST only.
While I agree on Turbin and think he would be a great addition... reminds me of a less thick Turner from the falcons with better hands, I dont doubt he can handle being the main ball carrier after an offseason or two of NFL conditioning. Hunter's quick but it doesnt mean he isnt tough, at OSU he was a mini bowling ball not some finesse RB..
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
While I agree on Turbin and think he would be a great addition... reminds me of a less thick Turner from the falcons with better hands, I dont doubt he can handle being the main ball carrier after an offseason or two of NFL conditioning. Hunter's quick but it doesnt mean he isnt tough, at OSU he was a mini bowling ball not some finesse RB..

IMO once Gore is gone(possibly before) we will go RB by committee, #1 RB with 15-20 touches, Hunter, 10-15, #3RB 1-5 touches(true 3rd & short back). I know it was college but JH used all 3 of his RBs every game, I would think he would go back to that approach once Gore is gone.
Originally posted by irishluder:

I agree completely that we need a RB to supplement Gore, and challenge Dixon. It Turbin is the one lets get him. I think the Niners flourish best with a good, consistent running game.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Bump for the Rob Turbin Bandwagon...

Robert Turbin, Utah State: It was no surprise that this freight train of a back (5-10, 222 pounds) lifted 225 pounds 28 times, tying Martin for the lead in the position group. But seeing that bulk run a 4.50 40, as well as post a 36-inch vertical leap and a 10-foot-2 broad jump, certainly grabbed scouts' attention. The two-time 1,000-yard rusher (2009 and 2011, with a torn ACL taking away his 2010 season) did look tight in the hips catching passes and was only average in short-area agility, but teams looking for a one-cut back will overlook those shortcomings because he has the potential to break off big gains.

Draft projection: Third round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82755cba/article/rb-stock-report-wilson-looks-like-no-2-back-after-combine?module=HP11_content_stream

Picking so late in the rounds affects our planning but I would be stoked if he lasted until our 3rd round pick, but if his stock is good enough to be a top 70 pick I would rather we took him with our 2nd.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM ]

Really excited that the 9ers are bringing him in for a visit. Shouldn't be getting my hopes up but he has been one of my favorite college players in the last 6 years or so.
When i watched him at the combine i told everybody about him. He has STEAL written all over him..

and cyrus gray
Visiting the Niners on the 12th
Originally posted by Utah9er:
Really excited that the 9ers are bringing him in for a visit. Shouldn't be getting my hopes up but he has been one of my favorite college players in the last 6 years or so.

Get your hopes up. Mayock said that RB's do not have the draft value anymore. He sees only 1 rb going in round 1, Turbin is not in the second tier of RB's so he could potentially last until our 3rd round pick.
That's who I wanted in my mock draft but seriously, don't think we go for running back this year. Especially, after we signed Brandon Jacobs will probably go running back next year draft. But, I could be wrong with Baalke you don't know what he's thinking....
Share 49ersWebzone