LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

WR Chris Owusu, Stanford

That's what I was thinking, because he is familiar with the system, he might be able to come in a contribute. At least I think he could get Swain off of the team! :)
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Worth the late round gamble.

He's talented, and knows the system. Not looking for Tom Brady with every pick. If you told me you could have Austin Collie for 2 years with a 7th round pick I'd sign on the dotted line.

This. Nobody is talking about this guy as a 3rd or 4th rounder, which he'd be without the concussion issues. You're looking at a guy who will fall way back, 6th...7th round......due to his talent, he'd worth taking a shot at, especially considering his speed and familiarity with the system.

This is my major reason. We need guys who can play WR now.
We also need WRs who can play tomorrow. I can just see him getting hurt midseason (if he even makes it out of camp), whenever...and having to call Swain back up. lol. I'd rather try to lock up the next unknown stud(I like Rosario from UCLA) and if Owusu wants to come here undrafted then I'd welcome him with open arms. I think that was the idea with Baldwin last year, didn't work because he chose another team, but I'd take that risk over the concussion risk.

Plus if he doesn't make the starting roster he can't really be expected to be able to work on special teams since the hits returning can be so wicked. Final cuts in camp are often decided by special team play, and there's no way he'd make it onto the P-Squad before getting picked up.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
We also need WRs who can play tomorrow. I can just see him getting hurt midseason (if he even makes it out of camp), whenever...and having to call Swain back up. lol. I'd rather try to lock up the next unknown stud(I like Rosario from UCLA) and if Owusu wants to come here undrafted then I'd welcome him with open arms. I think that was the idea with Baldwin last year, didn't work because he chose another team, but I'd take that risk over the concussion risk.

Plus if he doesn't make the starting roster he can't really be expected to be able to work on special teams since the hits returning can be so wicked. Final cuts in camp are often decided by special team play, and there's no way he'd make it onto the P-Squad before getting picked up.

Yeah, it's a risk/reward scenario. I trust Baalke to make the right decision. If we don't draft him, it's no big deal.
Share 49ersWebzone