There are 259 users in the forums

WR Chris Owusu, Stanford

5'11 3/4", 196 lbs.

Had some really bad luck in that he suffered 3 concussions in 18 months. Some thought his career was over in college. He ran an unofficial 4.31 today.

Stats: 2010

25 catches, 396 yards, 3 TD's

2009:

37 catches, 682 yards, 5 TD's

Where is he projected to go in the draft?
around 6 th round

was a 2-3 rd round prospect before season started
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM ]
Officially its a 4.36 tied with Travis Benjamin of Miami (FL) and Stephen Hill (GA Tech) as the fastest.
3 concussions will scare away almost everyone, especially w/all the justifiable attention it currently draws.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I hope we draft him. The concussions are a major worry, but he could contribute day one.

BTW, I've had multiple severe concussions, so I know how big a deal it is.

Still think the risk is worth it late in the draft.
I wonder if Harbaugh will bring him in if he goes undrafted. Any WR who runs a 4.36 is worth looking at, but the fact that he played for Harbaugh and knows the system should help.

If another Stanford player goes to the Seahawks and tears it up, im going to be pissed!
I liked him at Stanford. Because of the concussions, I wouldn't mind drafting him late.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I probably still wouldn't draft him, knowing there are a lot of talented small school guys you could lock up with those late picks that don't have the risk that a player with that many concussions has. But Harbaugh should definitely give him a shot if he goes undrafted.

It's just that his main value may be in his return game, where vicious hits are common. We can't afford to have our returners all get hurt every year lol.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I hope we draft him. The concussions are a major worry, but he could contribute day one.

BTW, I've had multiple severe concussions, so I know how big a deal it is.

Still think the risk is worth it late in the draft.

I KNEW it!
i had 1 concussion in my football career

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I KNEW it!

Hehe... yeah it's pretty obvious.

Man, I got my last one during finals in college... I was taking my second semester of Japanese. My brain was scrambled for months, if I concentrated on anything for more than a couple minutes I'd get massive headaches. Still managed to pass my Japanese class, though.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i had 1 concussion in my football career

How severe was it? What were your symptoms like?

My last one started with headache and dizziness, then nausea/vomiting, then when I tried to speak it all came out gibberish, then my whole right side went numb. No damage to my brain was detected at least.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I KNEW it!

Hehe... yeah it's pretty obvious.

Man, I got my last one during finals in college... I was taking my second semester of Japanese. My brain was scrambled for months, if I concentrated on anything for more than a couple minutes I'd get massive headaches. Still managed to pass my Japanese class, though.

I never had a serious one, but had a lot of minor ones. It became my routine for my last two years of college to turn the shower on ice cold and run it on the base of my skull after games. Concussion education wasn't as thorough or serious back then .

Our LG got one so bad that one of his pupils was twice the size of the other one for a week, and he had to be chaperoned everywhere. He got lost in the cafeteria one day. It was unny back then, prety scary now.

Owusu looks like a great fit at low cost in terms of the round he should go in, but a Stanford grad who destroys his brain in football would be a dam shame.
Wow, I'm not sure I'd even take him late -- would hate to #1 lose the player, and #2 contribute to possible long-term brain damage.

BUT, Remember when Steve Wallace (49ers OL / LT) was having concussion issues and they fitted him with a foam pad over the outside of the helmet to help absorb blows to the head? Why don't more players that have concussion issues do that? It's no different than wearing a knee brace.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I never had a serious one, but had a lot of minor ones. It became my routine for my last two years of college to turn the shower on ice cold and run it on the base of my skull after games. Concussion education wasn't as thorough or serious back then .

Our LG got one so bad that one of his pupils was twice the size of the other one for a week, and he had to be chaperoned everywhere. He got lost in the cafeteria one day. It was unny back then, prety scary now.

Owusu looks like a great fit at low cost in terms of the round he should go in, but a Stanford grad who destroys his brain in football would be a dam shame.

Yeah, the major b***h about concussions is that the more you have, the easier they are to get. My last one wasn't even a blow to the head. I didn't play football, I got my first severe concussion when I was five. The rest were from being an idiot in the mosh pit at heavy metal concerts.

Concussions are a scary thing... I avoid doing anything that could result in head trauma now.

I'd still give Owusu a shot. I guess it all depends on the severity of the concussions he's had. Wouldn't play him on special teams, though.
Share 49ersWebzone