LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

WR Chris Owusu, Stanford

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Wow, I'm not sure I'd even take him late -- would hate to #1 lose the player, and #2 contribute to possible long-term brain damage.

BUT, Remember when Steve Wallace (49ers OL / LT) was having concussion issues and they fitted him with a foam pad over the outside of the helmet to help absorb blows to the head? Why don't more players that have concussion issues do that? It's no different than wearing a knee brace.

If he learns to avoid big hits, he should be ok. He'd have to check out medically, of course.

I imagine the kids think it looks stupid and makes them look like a wimp. I don't know how effective it really is anyway... the trauma occurs from the brain bashing into your skull, which can happen from sudden deceleration without any contact to the head. Granted, most concussions do involve head impact.
This doesn't look good. 4th round at best. Not very tall. I agree don't put him on special teams. Too big a risk. Probably not a good
idea to put him in the slot either. he's got the speed but I don't know about routes. We need a #1 pure and simple. I don't want any more
possession receivers.
if no one drafts him, harbaugh will put him on the TC roster no doubt
Still would not waste a pick on a player who does not figure to have a long NFL career. Talent pool is too large, risk factor too high, reward factor too low. Simply not a guy I'd have on my board.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Still would not waste a pick on a player who does not figure to have a long NFL career. Talent pool is too large, risk factor too high, reward factor too low. Simply not a guy I'd have on my board.

Thats probably what every gm is thinking. just hold out and wait for him as a UDFA. If he doesn't wow said team in camp, stick him on PS, and repeat for another 2 years.
remember what they said about how andrew luck doing great at stanford despite not having any great receivers...there are alot better options than this kid
Originally posted by hofer36:
remember what they said about how andrew luck doing great at stanford despite not having any great receivers...there are alot better options than this kid

kid ddn't play much the last 2 years. Not saying I'd take him, but it is entirely possible he is good and Luck had no good receivers to throw to.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that the dude thta's always getting KO"d? Do not want. He'll be out of the NFL in a matter of a season or two.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
that the dude thta's always getting KO"d? Do not want. He'll be out of the NFL in a matter of a season or two.

he might sneeze too hard and take himself out before he gets drafted
Worth the late round gamble.

He's talented, and knows the system. Not looking for Tom Brady with every pick. If you told me you could have Austin Collie for 2 years with a 7th round pick I'd sign on the dotted line.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM ]

• VDSF
  • Veteran
Kyle Williams had concussions too

Just sayin'
Originally posted by VDSF:
Kyle Williams had concussions too

Just sayin'

Kyle Williams
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for LottOfDefense.
Might ahve to spend a 6th round pick to get him. Like Mareic last year, a team might want him and block the 9ers from getting him. There is no way he chooses any team over the 9ers if he is an UDFA. Knows the coach, proximity, need for position all give him the greatest chance to stay on the active roster. The 9ers choose very late in the 7th so any team that is willing to to spend a 7th on him will snatch him. If the 9ers want to be sure they get him, they will have to draft him in the 6th IMO.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

He's talented, and knows the system. Not looking for Tom Brady with every pick. If you told me you could have Austin Collie for 2 years with a 7th round pick I'd sign on the dotted line.

This. Nobody is talking about this guy as a 3rd or 4th rounder, which he'd be without the concussion issues. You're looking at a guy who will fall way back, 6th...7th round......due to his talent, he'd worth taking a shot at, especially considering his speed and familiarity with the system.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

This. Nobody is talking about this guy as a 3rd or 4th rounder, which he'd be without the concussion issues. You're looking at a guy who will fall way back, 6th...7th round......due to his talent, he'd worth taking a shot at, especially considering his speed and familiarity with the system.

This is my major reason. We need guys who can play WR now.
Share 49ersWebzone