There are 218 users in the forums

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
IMO opinion adding an OG of Cordy Glenn's potential and versatility does so much more than adding a WR or a TE it makes the whole offense better. He is strong and he is mean, and he is quick...Major upgrade over Snyder and he would make Davis that much better. You transition Kilgore into C and you have the OL for the next 10 years

actually glenn is considered a little raw he does ave amean streak but next year he really wont be much of an upgrade over snyder downt he road yes but not next year

as of bow we lack a #1 WR
we also lack a speedy WR (ted ginn doesnt really count) as a go to guy on 3rd downs - VD can be that person but not when hes consitantly doubled and ttripled because we just dont have another offensive threat

as of now another offensive playmaker is the #1 need of the team
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
a big ass TE is pretty tempting. Look how unstoppable Gronk and the Saints dude are.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You all know what I'm going to say.

I choose Fleener because while he's got room to develop, he's the guy who is by far the closest to showing up at 49ers headquarters on the first day and stepping in and contributing the very next day. A combination of familiarity with the system, having previously been coached by Harbaugh, knowing the expectations, having the physical size that makes him an automatic mismatch, the agility as a former basketball player, the leaping ability, the experience of playing wide receiver, both in high-school and college, the fantastic route-running, better than any WR available at #30, the intelligence...usually guys coming out of Stanford aren't dumbasses or knuckleheads, to me looks like one of the guys who is closest to being a "sure thing" as you can find in an NFL draft and he has a lot less questions than some of the other players who will be available. A 6'6" redzone target like him? Alex would crap his pants.

I see Fleener being a lot more effective in alleviating the 49er's redzone troubles than any WR they could get at 30. A WR still has to beat a cornerback and unless its a guy like Fitzgerald or CJ, they have little effect on the rest of the defense. A guy like Fleener who is a virtual wrecking ball in the middlle forces the defense to change up completely, no, you can't double-team VD anymore, no you can't stop the guy with just a safety like you can do to Delanie, now defenses have to account for the high lob to a guy who is 6'6" and jumps high like a motherf**ker, he's going to cause massive headaches for defensive coordinators around the NFL.

That and receivers generally can take some time to develop, learn the system...etc......if this is a team that is really gunning for the Super Bowl next year...then you're going to want the guy most ready to contribute from the get-go and without argument that guy is Fleener. They'll be able to add WR help through free agency and later on in the draft where the value becomes a lot better and the level of talent is still pretty similar as this draft is LOADED in WR talent in the middle rounds.

this, he would help our offense soooo much... I just remember Brees getting in trouble against us then just chucking it up to graham some passes that would have been picked if it was thrown to anyone else but graham would come down with it. We need that.
Originally posted by mike:
There's a difference between a guy who has the work ethic(even gained 20 pounds of MUSCLE that offseason) but winds up wanting to answer a "higher calling", and a guy who doesn't have the work ethic and wants money.

However, I think it's funny that Coffee's higher calling included being arrested for having a pistol in the dashboard of his unregistered car.

Finding out about a player's passion and love for the game I think gets overlooked in this whole draft process. I bet there are a lot of coaches out there that can't see through these kids or don't dig deep enough. Harbaugh is one I believe we can read these kids and find out if they really love this game and want to be the best. There are a lot of these kids looking for pay checks. Once you're in the NFL you have to committ yourself 110% and you better love this game because it will be your life. It's too bad that you can look at all these stats, videos, go through these interviews and then you find out guys like Rashaun Woods would rather be fishing or Kwame Harris would rather be cooking or playing the piano. You can't blame some of these guys... they get pushed into athletics because they are big or tall and probably don't want to disapoint people and tell them I don't love the game anymore. Plus you have to realize most of their families are counting on them for money. You really have to dig deep and read between the lines when you are putting millions into players.
Of course everything depends on f.a. but, I would like to have R. Randall at this spot. He's very good at running slants with y.a.c. ala jerry rice and with his hand size and strength a redzone threat. U might not agree but I think he is the best.receiver at this spot. Hes a very good blocker and that alone will get him concideration. He's a harbaugh guy.
Alright guys, I have to ask, "Would Baalke jump to grab an OLB or WR like Floyd and Upshaw respectively? Just how much of a talent and skill difference between the guys at 15-20 than 28-34? Would it be prudent to stay put at #30 and just wait for a guy like Fleener, Sanu or Randle at receiver or Branch, Curry at OLB?

More and more, Upshaw looks like an Ahmad Brooks type physically. Other than that, Upshaw has way more determination and work ethic at such a young age. An Upshaw/A. Smith combo at OLB would be tremendous. We sign Brooks, done deal. We don't, then I expect OLB to be even more of a need. Thank goodness though that this "Tweener" class is deep in rounds 1-2 in talent with Irvin being at the bottom of that list. That tells you something.

Big, beefy WRs are up and down the first four rounds so we can get a good one especially if we sign a top FA WR. I would love Fleener and Curry/Irvin, but we most likely would have to jump up again in the second to get one of those OLBs, IMO.

Still, would be cheaper than jumping up in the first. Hmmmmm.... What do you guys think?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
4 1st rounders on the same OL is kinda overkill, no? Especially since Snyder did a decent job, giving up only 3 sacks all year, and you also have Kilgore behind him, backing him up, not that I think that Glenn will slide to 30 anyways.

I don't either, I'd be surprised if he made it past the Steelers who's Oline is a mess outside of Maurkice Pouncey. I'll go with Randle, I just like his upside and unlike Jeffery he can actually get separation.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Dennard, Fleener, Allen or Orson Charles.

A 1 in 4 shot at landing a legitimate WR is is not worth it.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM ]
I understand the need at receiver, but not over Glenn, not by a long shot. Glenn is BPA and can play both T and G. We would take him to be the ROG. BPA is Cordy Glenn, period. Just because we took Iupati at #16 two years ago doesn't mean we don't pick up another OG in the first.

BPA at a position of need and he fits the bill.

Originally posted by ninertico:
I understand the need at receiver, but not over Glenn, not by a long shot. Glenn is BPA and can play both T and G. We would take him to be the ROG. BPA is Cordy Glenn, period. Just because we took Iupati at #16 two years ago doesn't mean we don't pick up another OG in the first.

BPA at a position of need and he fits the bill.

hes raw
wont be an upgrade over snyder next year

i wouldnt mind talking him but not over another target (would take him over charles) but not over jeffery fleener allen

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
hes raw
wont be an upgrade over snyder next year

i wouldnt mind talking him but not over another target (would take him over charles) but not over jeffery fleener allen

Well, we will have to agree to disagree because I just don't see "raw" at OG. I can agree somewhat at OT. But at OG, the dude is a beast and better at that position than Jeffery, Fleener and Allen at theirs. There is a reason why Glenn is considered a top 15 prospect and I know both OTC and MadDog have him as #10, not that their opinion matters... You know I keed! These guys are sometimes wrong, but most of the time they are right. There are other draft pundits that have him rated higher that the other three you mentioned. Maybe not top 15, but definitely higher than the other three.

It's alright though because in Baalke, I trust. @ # 30, we will get a very good player. If all those choices are available, then Glenn it is. Now if you add Mercilus, Branch, Poe, Konz and Perry to that mix, then we would have to choose very wisely as all these players I mentioned are needed too. All the others in that list except for maybe Dennard, are projected after the late 20s.

Heck, Konz and Glenn would still be the top two candidates in this list...
Konz
Glenn
Poe
Dennard
Mercilus
Perry
Allen
Randle
Fleener (injury, may rise after proday)
Sanu
Jeffery (too slow, may rise after Combine)

Still, that a nice list to choose from.
Share 49ersWebzone