LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Originally posted by oldman9er:
My order for the given list is:

Coby Fleener
Cordy Glenn
Rueben Randle
A. Jeffery

M. Sanu
Alfonzo Denard

Dwayne Allen

Outside of keeping Jeffery so close, I agree with your ranking (though if you threw Reyes in the top 3 I'd agree with you more ) based on the list provided
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I would be cool w/Hill. Not sure where he goes, though (or if we would need to trade up). These dam WRs are all over the place.

hill has CJ type potential

hes 6 5 and runs 4.4
Jeez do we really need every receiver to be 6'4"+?lol. If we got fleener I'd want to draft a shorter speedster WR. I'll have to wait till the combine to see who that is I think.
I would be cool w/Hill. Not sure where he goes, though (or if we would need to trade up). These dam WRs are all over the place.

hes 6 5 and runs 4.4

49ersalldaway126, I hold you in very high regard on this forum, very close to OTC, oldman, and MD, b/c of your very astute analysis and in-depth in researching players, but I'm a bit confused on how you can compare Hill to CJ? Yes, they both played @ GT and are tall/fast in the 40, but I don't see the same thing when looking @ tape. CJ on film was a beast in every system he played, either be the prostyle/triple option he had to play @ GT, or the spread pro style in Detroit, while Hill has only had to worry about the single coverage in the triple option.

Now don't get me wrong, wouldn't be upset if we got him in the 2nd round, definitely has potential, but he reminds me more of Jonathan Baldwin outta Pitt, talented but lacks mechanics.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
49ersalldaway126, I hold you in very high regard on this forum, very close to OTC, oldman, and MD, b/c of your very astute analysis and in-depth in researching players, but I'm a bit confused on how you can compare Hill to CJ? Yes, they both played @ GT and are tall/fast in the 40, but I don't see the same thing when looking @ tape. CJ on film was a beast in every system he played, either be the prostyle/triple option he had to play @ GT, or the spread pro style in Detroit, while Hill has only had to worry about the single coverage in the triple option.

Now don't get me wrong, wouldn't be upset if we got him in the 2nd round, definitely has potential, but he reminds me more of Jonathan Baldwin outta Pitt, talented but lacks mechanics.

thanks

but im talking purely on potential though

he is no way ready to come in and make the impact CJ did (which is why he was best WR prospect almost ever)

im going to wait till combine but he has CJ hight and speed but he lacks all the mechanics he is a project guy

i mean he only had 28 catches last year despite his freakish speed and size
Originally posted by mike:

hes 6 5 and runs 4.4
Jeez do we really need every receiver to be 6'4"+?lol. If we got fleener I'd want to draft a shorter speedster WR. I'll have to wait till the combine to see who that is I think.

i agree

id actually rather have wright than almost every1 in this draft

all im saying is that if we get fleener or a more polished guy in 1st round and then get a solid veteran FA (meachem wayne) i think we should get a projext guy like hill or streeter whos potential is just astronomical
i agree

all im saying is that if we get fleener or a more polished guy in 1st round and then get a solid veteran FA (meachem wayne) i think we should get a projext guy like hill or streeter whos potential is just astronomical

Out of all the players in this draft, Streeter is the biggest wildcard in my mind. The guy has the potential to be another great Miami WR, but will his work ethic and health allow him to?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
i agree

Out of all the players in this draft, Streeter is the biggest wildcard in my mind. The guy has the potential to be another great Miami WR, but will his work ethic and health allow him to?

Been reading online that Streeter has good work ethic, so he should fit in nicely here.
RT @RavensInsider: Hearing that South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery has actually lost weight down to 217 to 220 and hopes to run in 4.5 range
RT @RavensInsider: Hearing that South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery has actually lost weight down to 217 to 220 and hopes to run in 4.5 range

My thoughts on him... sure he can lose weight when he needs to but let's say after season one he slacks off and adds 10-15 pounds. Ok, so he gets it back down and loses most of it... then the next offseason he gains 20 pounds... it takes him longer to get back into shape. Pretty soon it's a recurring problem that takes him longer and longer and to get back into game shape. You don't want your WR going into the season and needing regular season games to get into game shape.

Could be wrong but a WR who let's themselves go (if 245 or 250 was correct) that bad is throwing up a red flag. To some guys it might say I am doing football for the money, I can't control myself and it's not my 1st love. I guess it helps he is 6'4" so he could use his body but so was Mike Williams. Lack of separation will catch up to him in the NFL if he can't keep his weight down.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
My thoughts on him... sure he can lose weight when he needs to but let's say after season one he slacks off and adds 10-15 pounds. Ok, so he gets it back down and loses most of it... then the next offseason he gains 20 pounds... it takes him longer to get back into shape. Pretty soon it's a recurring problem that takes him longer and longer and to get back into game shape. You don't want your WR going into the season and needing regular season games to get into game shape.

Could be wrong but a WR who let's themselves go (if 245 or 250 was correct) that bad is throwing up a red flag. To some guys it might say I am doing football for the money, I can't control myself and it's not my 1st love. I guess it helps he is 6'4" so he could use his body but so was Mike Williams. Lack of separation will catch up to him in the NFL if he can't keep his weight down.

At least this fool managed to stay in shape.

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

At least this fool managed to stay in shape.
There's a difference between a guy who has the work ethic(even gained 20 pounds of MUSCLE that offseason) but winds up wanting to answer a "higher calling", and a guy who doesn't have the work ethic and wants money.

However, I think it's funny that Coffee's higher calling included being arrested for having a pistol in the dashboard of his unregistered car.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
OG is one of our major needs. Glenn would solidify the interior line and have an immediate positive impact on both our passing and running game.

4 1st rounders on the same OL is kinda overkill, no? Especially since Snyder did a decent job, giving up only 3 sacks all year, and you also have Kilgore behind him, backing him up, not that I think that Glenn will slide to 30 anyways.

The weakness of our interior line is a major problem and it needs fixing. I agree that Snyder did a decent job, but in my opinion decent is not good enough.

I just think that Glenn is the best player among the choices given in the thread.

Not sure if having four first rounders on the offensive line is overkill.
  • mike
  • Veteran
OG is one of our major needs. Glenn would solidify the interior line and have an immediate positive impact on both our passing and running game.

4 1st rounders on the same OL is kinda overkill, no? Especially since Snyder did a decent job, giving up only 3 sacks all year, and you also have Kilgore behind him, backing him up, not that I think that Glenn will slide to 30 anyways.

The weakness of our interior line is a major problem and it needs fixing. I agree that Snyder did a decent job, but in my opinion decent is not good enough.

I just think that Glenn is the best player among the choices given in the thread.

Not sure if having four first rounders on the offensive line is overkill.
It is kinda overkill I think, when there are other positions we could address instead, like the fact that we don't have a real #1 WR.

Saints have zero 1st rounders in their o line, pats have 2(with solder only being a recent addition and Mankins being a veteran), Giants have zero. Those are all the lines I feel like looking up right now but they're all lines that I feel usually give their QBs plenty of time to throw.

The thing about O-lines is they're very much about chemistry and team work. The fact that we change around our o-line so much over the years has to impact it negatively. The fact that Baas left and we had a scramble for another center, with no offseason to really practice with Goodwin. With Snyder at center for part of the shortened offseason. With Rachal in and out of the starting position. Heck Iupati and Davis have only been here since 2010.

There will be improvement to the line, Davis is super young still, iupati had kind of a mediocre year, Snyder was shifted from center to guard and in and out of the starting spot, and Goodwin will get better at leading the whole group. Most of all it's about having continuity. Get depth to compete and fill in for whatever injuries happen, but I see no reason to draft a guard earlier than the 4th.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM ]
Originally posted by mike:
There's a difference between a guy who has the work ethic(even gained 20 pounds of MUSCLE that offseason) but winds up wanting to answer a "higher calling", and a guy who doesn't have the work ethic and wants money.

However, I think it's funny that Coffee's higher calling included being arrested for having a pistol in the dashboard of his unregistered car.

I hate to get all serious, but I think he had the gun in his car because he was going into some pretty sketchy neighborhoods to try to mentor some boys, and he wanted to protect himself. It sounded like he didn't know all he details of concealed-carry laws. It's not like they also found booger-sugar in the car.
IMO opinion adding an OG of Cordy Glenn's potential and versatility does so much more than adding a WR or a TE it makes the whole offense better. He is strong and he is mean, and he is quick...Major upgrade over Snyder and he would make Davis that much better. You transition Kilgore into C and you have the OL for the next 10 years
Share 49ersWebzone