LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Pick 30 and these players are on the board. Who do you take?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Fleener is more NFL ready. And he knows Harbaugh's systme inside and out. No small thing. His adjustment time would be smaller. He is one of the best "targets" in this draft regardless of "TE" or "WR." You can't worry about position. You pick the best "receiver" in the draft (WR or TE). That's what NoWin said. "We got the best receiver in the draft." He may have been right. It took a while to develop but VD is a beast. NoWin didn't do many things right but that one was right. I just don't know why guys don't get this. You don't pass up a greater talent to take a lessor talent a "position of need." That's called a REACH....

P.S. To clear things up most don't think Fleener is the best receiver in the draft like we did with VD

When I said this what I meant is with VD at 6 overall we thought we had the best receiver in the draft. With Fleener I don't think we would think that's the case more so than the best receiver at pick 30. I know Fleener will come in and contribute day 1 knowing the system... VD took years.

VD was so raw too. Not just system raw. But raw at running routes, with his hands, with his attitude. It just took him a while to get it squared away. I think Fleener is ready from game 1 of his rookie year. He knows Harbaugh's system. His routes are excellent. His hands are in the great category IMO. He's not #6 worthy. But he's very worthy of 1st round IMO. And if he runs fast we may have to trade up a bit from #30 to get him at say #20 or whatever. A 6'6" target with great hands, that runs great routes and pre built knowing Harbaugh's system inside and out is no small thing. Not to be overlooked or underestimated.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Pretty much torn between Dennard and Randle. I like Fleener too, but how would another star TE co-exist with our already star TE. Sure Vernon Davis has been a leader on the offense, but you would have to think bringing in another 1st round TE could bother him some.

But I guess if a gun was being held to my head it would be Alfonzo Dennard.
I'd take Fleener in a heartbeat Davis and Fleener would give defenses nightmares because of the matchup mismatches.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Pretty much torn between Dennard and Randle. I like Fleener too, but how would another star TE co-exist with our already star TE. Sure Vernon Davis has been a leader on the offense, but you would have to think bringing in another 1st round TE could bother him some.

If it happened, it would mean we have a 2 TE set like the pats run, I don't think Davis would be mad. Having a 2 TE set with a guy who's just as much of a threat as him opens up opportunities for the both of them.

It would only upset him if he wound up on the bench while the new kid starts.

I like Fleener more than most of the WRs that are projected to be available at the end of the 1st. Rookie TEs are notoriously slow at adapting to the nfl in their first years but I think he could still be a huge impact guy.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM ]
Originally posted by mike:

If it happened, it would mean we have a 2 TE set like the pats run, I don't think Davis would be mad. Having a 2 TE set with a guy who's just as much of a threat as him opens up opportunities for the both of them.

I like Fleener more than most of the WRs that are projected to be available at the end of the 1st. Rookie TEs are notoriously slow at adapting to the nfl in their first years but I think he could still be a huge impact guy.

Either one of them can split out wide, too, as both have them have been productive from that alignment (granted, not in the pros for Fleener, yet). Imagine Fleener and VD st tight to the same side in the redzone. One hits the seam and crosses at the baseline, one breaks to the corner of the endzone. You have to protect underneath near the endzone, and you can only give over-the-top help on one of them. Jump ball = TD. Now imagine Fleener out wide and VD in the slot (same side). Fleener runs an endzone fade, VD runs his slow post seam route. Who do you double? In the open field, on 3rd down, use the same formation to that side, except Fleener runs a slant from the outside (very successful at this in Stanford) and VD runs the wheel underneath Fleener's slant and up the sideline. Of course, all of the normal 2 TE sets (line them up on opposite sides) are still available.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by mike:

Either one of them can split out wide, too, as both have them have been productive from that alignment (granted, not in the pros for Fleener, yet). Imagine Fleener and VD st tight to the same side in the redzone. One hits the seam and crosses at the baseline, one breaks to the corner of the endzone. You have to protect underneath near the endzone, and you can only give over-the-top help on one of them. Jump ball = TD. Now imagine Fleener out wide and VD in the slot (same side). Fleener runs an endzone fade, VD runs his slow post seam route. Who do you double? In the open field, on 3rd down, use the same formation to that side, except Fleener runs a slant from the outside (very successful at this in Stanford) and VD runs the wheel underneath Fleener's slant and up the sideline. Of course, all of the normal 2 TE sets (line them up on opposite sides) are still available.

if we get fleener in 1st

i would like to trade up and get stephen hill in 2nd

Dennard....

Much rather have Minnifield......Dennard got toasted repeatedly against some of the better receivers, dude might end up at free safety in the NFL. He was also a bust in the Senior Bowl.
Cordy Glenn OG. Best value at #30
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we get fleener in 1st

i would like to trade up and get stephen hill in 2nd

I would be cool w/Hill. Not sure where he goes, though (or if we would need to trade up). These dam WRs are all over the place.
Hands down Sanu! Nuf said.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM ]

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I would be cool w/Hill. Not sure where he goes, though (or if we would need to trade up). These dam WRs are all over the place.

hill has CJ type potential

hes 6 5 and runs 4.4
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dennard....

Much rather have Minnifield......Dennard got toasted repeatedly against some of the better receivers, dude might end up at free safety in the NFL. He was also a bust in the Senior Bowl.

Everyone gets abused in college, no one is a total shutdown CB or DB in college, everyone has their bad days. Hes a much more physical corner than Amukamara and much better ball skills. I also wouldn't put much stock in his practice reps in the Senior Bowl where he had to drop out of due to injury.

For what its worth, he played Blackmon much better than Amukamara did, of course he wasn't covering Blackmon the whole time, but at least he didn't get beat deep by him like how Amukamara did.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:
I would hope that Andre Branch DE, or Jerel Worthy DT were on the board at 30. I would rather get TEs or WRs latter in the draft. Not in the first round. Same with a guard.

I was waiting to see Branch at the combine but another pass rusher would be a priority if Brooks does leave..
My order for the given list is:

Coby Fleener
Cordy Glenn
Rueben Randle
A. Jeffery

M. Sanu
Alfonzo Denard

Dwayne Allen
Originally posted by GORO:
It will be Fleener or Sanu but will not be surprised if we pick bpa even if it is a Defensive Lineman.

Yeah, I'd choose Fleener with Sanu coming in as a close second.
Share 49ersWebzone