LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

49ers WILL NOT Select A Wide Receiver In The First Round Of The 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
ya sure about that one?

i meant sharper

Sharper who? You said two of the best TEs ever, Antonio Gates and ____ Sharper?
Darren? Darren Sharper and Rod Woodson, tight ends.....?

edit: duh, you probably mean Sharpe, Shannon, but he wasnt undrafted either.
[ Edited by jojomellon on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
ya sure about that one?

i meant sharper

Shannon Sharpe?
If not the best TE ever he's definitely the second, taken in the 7th round.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Sharper who? You said two of the best TEs ever, Antonio Gates and ____ Sharper?
Darren? Darren Sharper and Rod Woodson, tight ends.....?

shanonne sharpe
I can't disagree more! First off we will need to see how Free Agency plays out. I think that we will be able to retain most if not all of our own free agents. Lets say for the sake of argument that we do land 1 high profile free agent.

Here are some keys that I want to point out. Our offense is pathetic in the red zone and on 3rd downs. We tried to get Plaxico Burress and ended up signing Edwards. So that should tell us what type of receiver that we are looking at.

Now after Free Agency here is what our line up may look like.

1) Big Free Agent pick up
2) Michael Crabtree
3) Joshua Morgan
4) Teddy Ginn Jr.
5) Kyle Williams

Now I think that we need to add another WR to challenge the starters and make a contribution this year.

A lot will depend on our draft board. I think we will draft BPA at a postion of need. I think most people placed area of need at WR, DB, OLB.

Looking at most mock drafts I think by the time we pick all the CB that have a first round grade will be off the board all ready. There is no way that a rookie DE making the transition to OLB in a 34 will beat out Brooks. So general rule of thumb is that with 1st rounder you want to pick someone that can make an immediate impact. Plus teams can usually find a DE in the mid to later rounds that can make the transition to OLB and contribute early or at least make contribution on special teams.

So that leaves WR. I think that there could very well be a receiver there at 30 that we will have a 1st round grade on. I like Reuben Randle, Alshon Jeffrey, and Mohammed Sanu.

I think that the wild card is Coby Fleener just because he played for Harbaugh and he would be a huge asset in the redzone. Although TE is not an area of need but a redzone target is.

Based on this I think that there is a strong possibility that our first round pick will be at WR. To be fair I never saw the Niners drafting Aldon. This year though we have less wholes to fill.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
2005- We NEEDED a QB

2006- TE was a weakness, so was our pass-rush. Another step towards transitioning to a 3-4 AND we got rid of Eric Johnson and drafted......

2007- Derek Smith, fading, no leadership on D, no OT also who do we draft.......

2008- Depleted D-line, of course we all needed a receiver AND pass-rush, he was supposed to help both the DL and pass-rush......fail!!!!

2009- We had NO WR on the team and still don't.............

2010- Our O-line still a mess........

2011- CB and DE/OLB was up in the air, sure I never seen this coming but, it was obvious we had no pass-rush after 5 years of drafting Lawson.

Sometimes the obvious will take you on a ride, then comes April and nothings changed it still becomes the obvious.
i would not be upset if we did not draft a WR in first. this draft is deep at WR. we could get 2 nice WRs in 2-5 rounds
First round Wrs are even a higher bust percentage than qbs. I think if we lose brooks we get an olb with our first pick
Originally posted by valrod33:
We dont know what the Niners are gonna do with the 1st pick

END THREAD
Ditto
Originally posted by elguapo:
First round Wrs are even a higher bust percentage than qbs. I think if we lose brooks we get an olb with our first pick

This, if Brooks is gone, then OLB has to be the pick, unless they don't see value there and look for it in the 2nd.
Because we will pick Coby Fleener.....

Share 49ersWebzone