There are 238 users in the forums

49ers WILL NOT Select A Wide Receiver In The First Round Of The 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by strickac:
That argument goes both ways. If we're talking value, we could get a top TE in the 2nd or 3rd also. For example, if Sanu runs and workouts out well, we could take him in the 1st, then come back to CB. A guy like Ladarius Green in the 3rd or Egnew in the 3rd-4th range would be excellent value.

Green won't be available where the 49ers pick in the 3rd. He's actually moved up considerably, at this point he's an early 3rd rounder. Egnew on the other hand is falling because he's slow as f**k off the line and slow getting into his cuts, in college it wasn't a big deal, in the pro's its going to be a major issue for him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I have a feeling the team will make a play for Floyd if we don't get a FA. His game fits our needs perfectly. If I had to pick the standout WR from this class, he'd be my choice.

Don't want any part of Floyd, guy smells like a bust, just like Jeffery.

Rather than make a questionable pick on a guy like him, the 49ers could go with BPA and then pick a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round as there will be plenty of talented guys who present great value in the later rounds.

Floyd is a beast IMO. He reminds me more of TO physically and athletically than any other WR in a long time. He has better hands too. I would love to pick him but I think he'll go too high.
I have a feeling the team will make a play for Floyd if we don't get a FA. His game fits our needs perfectly. If I had to pick the standout WR from this class, he'd be my choice.

Don't want any part of Floyd, guy smells like a bust, just like Jeffery.

Rather than make a questionable pick on a guy like him, the 49ers could go with BPA and then pick a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round as there will be plenty of talented guys who present great value in the later rounds.

I dont think anyone besides you would consider Floyd a questionable pick, he's the 2nd or 3rd best WR in the draft. I agree with Jeffery, if he reports to the combine overweight and slow he'll slide a lot.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I dont think anyone besides you would consider Floyd a questionable pick, he's the 2nd or 3rd best WR in the draft. I agree with Jeffery, if he reports to the combine overweight and slow he'll slide a lot.

Crabtree and Dez Bryant were far superior players in college and neither one is setting the world on fire. The guy gets over-rated like nobody's business, especially with his other issues. The way I look at it, Blackmon and Kendall Wright are highly desirable and should be stars at the next level, I think Randle is a good value pick late in the 1st, other than that, let some other team have Floyd and Jeffery and be their problems.
Crabtree and Dez Bryant were far superior players in college and neither one is setting the world on fire. The guy gets over-rated like nobody's business, especially with his other issues. The way I look at it, Blackmon and Kendall Wright are highly desirable and should be stars at the next level, I think Randle is a good value pick late in the 1st, other than that, let some other team have Floyd and Jeffery and be their problems.

no way

the only reason that floyds numbers arent inflated is he plays in a pro style offense but in no way is dez and crabtree better prospects than floyd

i would say they have a higher cieling than floyd but definially not a better prospect
I think Green Bay and Pittsburgh have it down on how to address the receiver position.

2 to 4th rounders every year
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
no way

the only reason that floyds numbers arent inflated is he plays in a pro style offense but in no way is dez and crabtree better prospects than floyd

i would say they have a higher cieling than floyd but definially not a better prospect

Crabtree was by far the better pro prospect. The hype he got was tremendous, people were talking about the guy like he was Jerry Rice. He was incredibly dominant and was widely regarded as the #1 receiver in the 2009 draft. He was incredibly dominant in college.....yet that hasn't necessarily translated to the pro's. Floyd's similar to Crabtree in that he doesn't have top-end speed, is more of a physical receiver, has some questions about his attitude....etc.

Like I said, I think its better to go with a high value pick in the later rounds, not that Floyd will be around when the 49ers pick anyways, so all this is a moot point.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think Green Bay and Pittsburgh have it down on how to address the receiver position.

This. A lot of these guys people are acting like star-struck 13 year old teeny-boppers towards were not 1st round picks. Jackson(2nd round, both of them), Wallace(3rd round), Colston(7th round).......building through the draft allows for the greatest salary cap flexibility overall.
They will pick Fleener and get a FA WR or a later round WR.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

This. A lot of these guys people are acting like star-struck 13 year old teeny-boppers towards were not 1st round picks. Jackson(2nd round, both of them), Wallace(3rd round), Colston(7th round).......building through the draft allows for the greatest salary cap flexibility overall.

Because I think the only former first rounder available is Bowe and Ive seen just as many people excited about the chance of getting him.

Oh and Meachem but he has not lived up to expectations and hes been brought up by a lot of people here too.

Obviously if guys like Johnson (Calvin or Andre), Fitzgerald, White, Green, or even guys like Nicks or Britt were free agents everybody would be going even crazier for them.

Because I think the only former first rounder available is Bowe and Ive seen just as many people excited about the chance of getting him.

Oh and Meachem but he has not lived up to expectations and hes been brought up by a lot of people here too.

Obviously if guys like Johnson (Calvin or Andre), Fitzgerald, White, Green, or even guys like Nicks or Britt were free agents everybody would be going even crazier for them.

Or alternatively Victor Cruz, Jordy Nelson, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin and a lot of other non 1st-rounders.

Or alternatively Victor Cruz, Jordy Nelson, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin and a lot of other non 1st-rounders.

There are gems at every position in every round of the draft. Even potential players that go undrafted can one day be hall of famers. Maybe the Colts should pass on Andrew Luck and hope there is someone sitting in the 6th round who will become the next Tom Brady or pass on one all together and get an undrafted guy to be the next Kurt Warner?

There are gems at every position in every round of the draft. Even potential players that go undrafted can one day be hall of famers. Maybe the Colts should pass on Andrew Luck and hope there is someone sitting in the 6th round who will become the next Tom Brady or pass on one all together and get an undrafted guy to be the next Kurt Warner?

lets not get fleener in opes of getting the next UDFA TE like antonio gates and rod woodson ( 2 of the best TE in nfl hisotry)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

lets not get fleener in opes of getting the next UDFA TE like antonio gates and rod woodson ( 2 of the best TE in nfl hisotry)

ya sure about that one?
ya sure about that one?

i meant sharper
Share 49ersWebzone