There are 294 users in the forums

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

What do you think Baalke will do in the draft this year?

I think the team has a gigantic bullseye on Sanu. He is a guy with good size and a muscular frame, very productive, ran a version of the Wildcat for them, and most importantly....blocks like no other. If the team is selecting a guy who is split out wide, he WILL be a blocker. That is why I think fans can eliminate guys who are the thinner, tall rabbits on the outside.

I think Harbaugh has a huge voice in the conversation, and he wants guys who are tough and willing to hit. That is Sanu.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
I feel it will depend on what he does in FA. Our glaring weakness is in receivers who can't get seperation like Crabs, Walker.

If we get a legit #1 WR in FA then I feel he'll go TE. We definitely need more than one, especially taking potential injuries into account. Receiver injuries cost us this year.
I think Balke wants to go back to the playoffs and win a ring next year, while he still has the nucleus of his defense, offensive lines, and Frank Gore. He will sign a WR and a Safety in free agency, because even a good rookie at these skill positions takes a year to play at pro-speed. Doubt he will sign Nicks because his price tag will be too high. (He let Baas walk this year.) I'm guessing defense in the first round, OLB, CB, DL, based on BPA. Than WR, CB, C/OG in any order for rounds 2-4 because these are deep positions in this years draft. Think he will pick up a RB and a TE in the later rounds.

While he hasn't traded back yet, the Patriots have traded out of the late first round many times. They have two firsts that bracket our pick this year. Now that we finally are picking that late in the first, I would love to see him show the versatility to trade out of the first like Belichick, unless someone phenomenal drops to our pick in the first. There will be DL, CB, OG, WR, and RBs with only moderate drop off in rounds 2-4.
I would like to see Baalke trade Crabtree to someone ahead of us in the draft and get their 3rd round pick and trade our first and this third to get Floyd in the draft, to take care of our WR. Then go for Vinny Curry or Fleener in the Second. And then if we got Curry go for Green - TE in the third and then a RB KR/PR returner in the 4-5th rounds. Then depending upon our FAs and our perceptions of whether Dobbs will be our replacement for McDonald or J. Smith for the future pick up a DE/DT, and then CBs.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I would like to see Baalke trade Crabtree to someone ahead of us in the draft and get their 3rd round pick and trade our first and this third to get Floyd in the draft, to take care of our WR. Then go for Vinny Curry or Fleener in the Second. And then if we got Curry go for Green - TE in the third and then a RB KR/PR returner in the 4-5th rounds. Then depending upon our FAs and our perceptions of whether Dobbs will be our replacement for McDonald or J. Smith for the future pick up a DE/DT, and then CBs.

Wait....so you're going to trade the 49ers top receiver AND a 1st rounder in order to get Floyd, a guy who might be a bust for all intents and purposes?

Are you f**king serious? How the hell does that improve the WR's? Ceiling wise, Floyd probably isn't any better than Crabtree, but if he turns out to be a huge bust, now you've downgraded the entire WR group even further. Trading Crabtree at this point is idiotic. 49ers have him locked in at a relatively low salary for the next few years, his value to them is a lot better than his value on the open market currently. They need to ADD, not subtract from their wide receiving crops.

Also, neither Fleener nor Curry will be available at the 49ers 2nd round slot.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM ]
Baalke has shown the patience to wait in FA. However, the Niners have gone out and spent big money on FA vets like Justin Smith. If there is a slam dunk veteran who will be a no brainer like J. Smith, I could see them going for a big money vet IF he meets that criteria. Here's the problem, who is a slam dunk, no brainer WR?

Tier 1
Vincent Jackson: I love his measurables, but he can turn into a headcase at any time.
Dwayne Bowe: He's been a big red zone target, but Chiefs don't let him get away.
Marquis Colston: big target, but major health risks
Desean Jackson: solves punt/KR issues. Small, but gives Alex a downfield weapon. Major chemistry threat.
Stevie Johnson: chemistry threat, Bills wont let him hit the market

Tier 2
Laurant Robinson: I really like this guys speed and redzone production
Pierre Garcon: product of the system or solid receiver
Reggie Wayne: how much does he have left in the tank? Crafty veteran with something to prove?
Robert Meachem: big body, but health concerns a ?

I'd target Vincent Jackson and Bowe as slam dunk Tier 1 options. If not, I'd contact Robinson, Garcon, and maybe even Wayne. Signing a FA WR is critical because the Niners don't have to reach for a rookie WR in the 1st. If a stud rookie WR falls to #30, absolutely, snatch him. If not, grab the BPA available.

9ers FA plan
Cut:
Shawntee Spencer
Parys Haralson

Priority resigning:
Alex Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Dashon Goldson
Costanzo

Without making trades, this allows the Niners to focus their draft something like this:

1st BPA
2nd WR
3rd CB
4th OLB
5th OG
6th RB
7th WR
[ Edited by Butter on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the team has a gigantic bullseye on Sanu. He is a guy with good size and a muscular frame, very productive, ran a version of the Wildcat for them, and most importantly....blocks like no other. If the team is selecting a guy who is split out wide, he WILL be a blocker. That is why I think fans can eliminate guys who are the thinner, tall rabbits on the outside.

I think Harbaugh has a huge voice in the conversation, and he wants guys who are tough and willing to hit. That is Sanu.

First, I agree with your line of reasoning behind Harbaugh coveting a WR like Sanu. Will the Niners just stand pat at #30 and take him? How far back would you trade into the second round and still have Sanu available?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
First, I agree with your line of reasoning behind Harbaugh coveting a WR like Sanu. Will the Niners just stand pat at #30 and take him? How far back would you trade into the second round and still have Sanu available?

Are you serious? Sanu might not even make it to the 49ers pick in the 1st round, forget about trading down. You trade down for guys you KNOW you can get a round later, not someone who might be taken 3-4 picks after. Houston, New England, Indy, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, those are all teams who could draft Sanu in the late 1st/very early 2nd.
Unless someone amazing falls to him with the 30th pick, he should trade back and collect more picks in rounds 2-3.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Unless someone amazing falls to him with the 30th pick, he should trade back and collect more picks in rounds 2-3.

Yeah but we have a lot of entrenched starters at certain positions, it seems to me like we should be trying to find the most talented players at positions we need to finish out our roster. If we draft 10 guys or whatever, we won't even have roster spots for all of em.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Are you serious? Sanu might not even make it to the 49ers pick in the 1st round, forget about trading down. You trade down for guys you KNOW you can get a round later, not someone who might be taken 3-4 picks after. Houston, New England, Indy, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, those are all teams who could draft Sanu in the late 1st/very early 2nd.

Exactly, which made it all the more ridiculous when there was so much backlash here after the Aldon Smith pick. "We should've traded back 3 picks to take him!"
B
Originally posted by dhp318:
Exactly, which made it all the more ridiculous when there was so much backlash here after the Aldon Smith pick. "We should've traded back 3 picks to take him!"

And Baalke said if he could have found a team to trade back with he would have taken it but he couldn't find that team and pulled the trigger on Aldon Smith in the 7th pick.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yeah but we have a lot of entrenched starters at certain positions, it seems to me like we should be trying to find the most talented players at positions we need to finish out our roster. If we draft 10 guys or whatever, we won't even have roster spots for all of em.

I'm kind of more in line with that. We are close. We don't need depth. We need star players at a few specific positions. We don't need all our picks. Packaging a few together and trading up would be a good idea.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
B
Originally posted by dhp318:

And Baalke said if he could have found a team to trade back with he would have taken it but he couldn't find that team and pulled the trigger on Aldon Smith in the 7th pick.

Thank goodness he did that huh....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I'm kind of more in line with that. We are close. We don't need depth. We need star players at a few specific positions. We don't need all our picks. Packaging a few together and trading up would be a good idea.

If we got 4 starters out of this draft we might win a super bowl IMO
Share 49ersWebzone