There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kiper's Latest Mock

Matt Barrows @mattbarrows
Mayock said LSU WR Rueben Randle is a good fit for the 49ers but might be gone if, as expected, he runs an impressive 40 in Indy .
gotta watch the eagles too. they might snag one of these guys if they think Desean is too much of a problem to deal with.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'm a big fan of his, kind of depends on what he does at the combine though.

sadly if he kills the combine a 6'4" 20 yr old will get picked before 30. thats why i hate picking so damn low unless its 32

Taking him in the first would be a pretty large reach, he's 6'4 but even in a run first offense you would like to have seen him step up in more big games.

- 7 out of 14 games he registered 3 catches or less, 3 of those times he only made one catch... He exceeded 6 receptions once all year with 9 against Arkansas. 3 great games and 2 average games against quality competition, the rest of the games he dissapeared.

It may have been the offense, but regardless there is no consistency in his game. Against Oregon, Kentucky, Alabama x2, Ole Miss and Georgia he combined for 10 receptions, 116 yards...rounding up thats on avg 2 receptions for 20 yards in half the games this season... not first round material.

Highlights and measurables are great, but consistency and production get you into the first round.. with the bottleneck of big receivers after the top 3, this kid is probably getable with a little maneuvering in the 3rd round.
Originally posted by lamontb:
gotta watch the eagles too. they might snag one of these guys if they think Desean is too much of a problem to deal with.

They are are gonna franchise Jackson and Plaxico said he wants to play there so they might not take a WR
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by lamontb:
gotta watch the eagles too. they might snag one of these guys if they think Desean is too much of a problem to deal with.

They are are gonna franchise Jackson and Plaxico said he wants to play there so they might not take a WR

do the eagles want an old slow ass plaxico?
from that highlight video it seems like he has pretty good speed and im way more impressed with those highlights as compared to what ive seen on guys like Sanu and Jeffrey

He comes from a heavy run team so you know he was asked to block a lot. Seems like he would look good in a Niners jersey
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by lamontb:
gotta watch the eagles too. they might snag one of these guys if they think Desean is too much of a problem to deal with.

They are are gonna franchise Jackson and Plaxico said he wants to play there so they might not take a WR

do the eagles want an old slow ass plaxico?
quit trying to kill my boner
I think he will be available, but I think the team will pass. I see him as a second rounder. I grade Sanu higher than Randle, but feel he will be off the board by the time the team picks. Randle is potentially a nice player, but raw like sushi. He needs a lot of work. Better value is later with a player like Brian Quick, Marvin Jones, Juron Criner, or one of the fun bunch midgets.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'm a big fan of his, kind of depends on what he does at the combine though.

sadly if he kills the combine a 6'4" 20 yr old will get picked before 30. thats why i hate picking so damn low unless its 32

Taking him in the first would be a pretty large reach, he's 6'4 but even in a run first offense you would like to have seen him step up in more big games.

- 7 out of 14 games he registered 3 catches or less, 3 of those times he only made one catch... He exceeded 6 receptions once all year with 9 against Arkansas. 3 great games and 2 average games against quality competition, the rest of the games he dissapeared.

It may have been the offense, but regardless there is no consistency in his game. Against Oregon, Kentucky, Alabama x2, Ole Miss and Georgia he combined for 10 receptions, 116 yards...rounding up thats on avg 2 receptions for 20 yards in half the games this season... not first round material.

Highlights and measurables are great, but consistency and production get you into the first round.. with the bottleneck of big receivers after the top 3, this kid is probably getable with a little maneuvering in the 3rd round.

After seeing those highlights and his upside I SERIOUSLY doubt he would last until the 3rd round. Mayock is pretty darned good and if he says the kid might not even last until the 30th pick then I'm pretty sure the Niners would as a minimum have to take him there or move up in the 2nd to get him.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'm a big fan of his, kind of depends on what he does at the combine though.

sadly if he kills the combine a 6'4" 20 yr old will get picked before 30. thats why i hate picking so damn low unless its 32

Taking him in the first would be a pretty large reach, he's 6'4 but even in a run first offense you would like to have seen him step up in more big games.

- 7 out of 14 games he registered 3 catches or less, 3 of those times he only made one catch... He exceeded 6 receptions once all year with 9 against Arkansas. 3 great games and 2 average games against quality competition, the rest of the games he dissapeared.

It may have been the offense, but regardless there is no consistency in his game. Against Oregon, Kentucky, Alabama x2, Ole Miss and Georgia he combined for 10 receptions, 116 yards...rounding up thats on avg 2 receptions for 20 yards in half the games this season... not first round material.

Highlights and measurables are great, but consistency and production get you into the first round.. with the bottleneck of big receivers after the top 3, this kid is probably getable with a little maneuvering in the 3rd round.


I would hold the lack of productivity against him if LSU's QB situation hadn't been so horrible. Lee was alright and Jefferson was terrible.
Randle's combine will be interesting to watch. Right now, he projects as a marginally faster, taller version of Crabtree, which isn't necessarily bad at all.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think he will be available, but I think the team will pass. I see him as a second rounder. I grade Sanu higher than Randle, but feel he will be off the board by the time the team picks. Randle is potentially a nice player, but raw like sushi. He needs a lot of work. Better value is later with a player like Brian Quick, Marvin Jones, Juron Criner, or one of the fun bunch midgets.

So you have Blackmon, Wright, Floyd and Sanu all gone by our pick? Do you have any other WRs going before our pick
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Randle's combine will be interesting to watch. Right now, he projects as a marginally faster, taller version of Crabtree, which isn't necessarily bad at all.

They even look similar in the way they run their routes
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,196
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'm a big fan of his, kind of depends on what he does at the combine though.

sadly if he kills the combine a 6'4" 20 yr old will get picked before 30. thats why i hate picking so damn low unless its 32

Taking him in the first would be a pretty large reach, he's 6'4 but even in a run first offense you would like to have seen him step up in more big games.

- 7 out of 14 games he registered 3 catches or less, 3 of those times he only made one catch... He exceeded 6 receptions once all year with 9 against Arkansas. 3 great games and 2 average games against quality competition, the rest of the games he dissapeared.

It may have been the offense, but regardless there is no consistency in his game. Against Oregon, Kentucky, Alabama x2, Ole Miss and Georgia he combined for 10 receptions, 116 yards...rounding up thats on avg 2 receptions for 20 yards in half the games this season... not first round material.

Highlights and measurables are great, but consistency and production get you into the first round.. with the bottleneck of big receivers after the top 3, this kid is probably getable with a little maneuvering in the 3rd round.

dude you must not watch college football. LSU's offense was atrocious for 2 reasons
1. They run a spread option attack
2. They flip flopped QBs all season because they were both terrible.

I'll address each of your points...

1. Why did he register 3 or less catches? They run a spread option attack and run often with their QBs and have massive doses of RB off left tackle plays. He didn't disappear, LSU's passing attack never existed because their offensive philosophy to begin with. They are the NCAA version of the 2011 Denver Broncos; a ton of running it down your throats then they surprise you with a deep ball and they get a TD. Not to mention they have 3 quality receivers on top of the RBs that the entire offense is funneled through so when your team throws 25 times a game and 5-8 of them go to RBs on screens I would call 3 receptions from probably 4 or 5 targets from an inaccurate qb a good game.

2. Stats dont make first rounders. Talent makes first rounders. This guy has loads of talent and quality game film which is why everyone in the country has said if you put him in Oregon's or Baylor's offense he would've looked had similar statistics to Kendall Wright for his entire career. Stats are what makes picking 1st round WRs so risky, if you become enamored with statistically production and stop paying attention to effort during plays not involving him, blocking ability, personal attitude, etc. That is when you draft busts.

3. This guy has been a 2nd rounder ever since it came out that he might declare. That tells you all you need to know about his talent, he isn't getting some random hype because LSU played in the title game. I've never really supported him but your kidding yourself if you dont think he will be gone by the middle of the 2nd if he runs 4.45 forty.

Bottom line is this kids talent got wasted by Les Miles and LSU's terrible offensive philosophy. He's widely regarded as one of the top receivers immediately following Floyd and Blackmon and most people had him behind Jeffery and in front of Wright leading up to the bowl games. I wont be shocked at all if the receivers come off the board in this order
1. blackmon
2. floyd
3. wright
4. Randle
5. Sanu
6. Jeffery

Both Sanu and Randle offer a more versatile game then Jeffery and will run faster times then Jeffery. Jeffery will only get picked before them if he posts massive #'s in the jumping drills and shows some amazing hands during the catching drills.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
After seeing those highlights and his upside I SERIOUSLY doubt he would last until the 3rd round. Mayock is pretty darned good and if he says the kid might not even last until the 30th pick then I'm pretty sure the Niners would as a minimum have to take him there or move up in the 2nd to get him.

I could see him going in the 2nd or 3rd depending on his combine, attitude, interviews etc. just not the first.

The Consensus top 3 is Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd... with Jeffry on the bubble of being considered a top prospect but after that theres:

Sanu, Randle, Jones, McNutt, Streeter, Hill, Toon, Quick, Fuller and Criner that meet the mold if Big & Athletic receivers. Thats 10 receivers projected as 2nd-4th rounders according to various sites and it doesn't even include receivers under 6'1 who may go in the first 4 rounds. All teams will view measurables and film differently, some will like the measurables of these guys more and others will want to see the measurables translate into production against good competition.

Im a production guy vs a "talent ceiling" guy so I would prefer a couple other names before him... doesnt mean he isnt legit or wont be successful, just a different viewpoint on draftee evaluation.

Also, Kiper is always biased towards great measurables so he can look back and say he "called it" when a guy makes a probowl and then when he doesnt he says "well thats why I had him as a late 1st rounder cause I had him as a boom or bust player"... he does it every year so he can stroke his ego on his hits while dismissing his misses.
[ Edited by 5280High on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM ]